So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. stardream

stardream Commodore Commodore

Finished Destiny again and it was MUCH better this time around having read the lead in books. I connected with the new characters and all the background was filled in. Odd thing though is this time around I wasn't much interested in the early Caeliar scenes during this re-read. Erika was alone, a prisoner in paradise etc-which fine the first time around but it lost something, maybe because I know the answer to the mystery. I just skimmed them. It was sort of like some episodes that are great on first airing but not that great for re-watching if that makes sense.

I do have one question. Where was Voyager during the 'transformation'? I get it that she was the only ship that survived the initial onslaught, that the crew refused to be rescued or towed back home, opting to stay in the Nebula, salvage parts and do their own repairs. I looked through Full Circle and Memory Alpha and all it talked about was it survived and refused any offers of aid, so they could go home under their own power. When did they get 'home'? Were they en route home when transformation occurred? I'm sure it's somewhere in black and white but I'm not finding it.

If they weren't at the nebula with the Enterprise,Titan, and Aventine when everything went down, they should have been after all they went through with the Borg.

Jinn likes this.
  2. Jinn

Jinn Mistress of the Chaotic Energies Rear Admiral

I don't think that was covered, as Voyager didn't have any Borg on board at the time and nothing woul have happened.

3. stardream

stardream Commodore Commodore

True, but if they were still at the Nebula couldn't they have looked out the window (or the viewscreen) and have watched it while it was happening?

4. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wizard's Shadow by Susan Dexter

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I started reading Journey to Star Wars: Lost Stars by Claudia Gray, one of the Journey to Star Wars: The Force Awakens books on Saturday.

ryan123450 likes this.
  6. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Embarassed to admit how far behind I am, but yesterday I finally started Rough Beasts of Empire. Plan to read all 3 DRGIII Typhon Pact books in a row as a trilogy.

Jinn likes this.
  7. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Currently reading (well finishing, on the last story) TNG: The Sky's the Limit.

Pretty good. Some references to other novels from around that era, including a small reference ENT: Rosetta, which I thought was interesting.

Jinn likes this.
  8. Jinn

Speaking of Enterprise, I'm halfway through Last Full Measure. *sigh*. So far Ireally only like the MACO/crew interaction, especially Reed, who I got a lot of respect for since the torturing part, but also Travis and Hoshi. My old dislike of Archer is returning, though that's not the novel's but rather the season's fault. Generally though, I find the story to be rather weak. Anyways, I'm looking forward to Rosetta.

9. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm most of the way through Wolves of Styria by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu/David Brian.

Next up, it's either the new Tomb Raider novel by Abnett or The Midas Legacy by Andy McDermott.

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow, I had no idea there were Tomb Raider novels, I might have to check those out.

11. John Clark

Yep. Ten Thousand Immortals and Blade of Gwynnever by Dan Abnett. (Immortals references the 2013 game a little - Blade, I'm not quite sure about yet but Amazon say it's stand alone)

Not counting the movie novels or graphic novels, I know about three from when the older games came out (Amulet of Power by Mike Resnick, Lost Cult by E E Knight and Man of Bronze by James Gardner. - I haven't read Man of Bronze and it's been a long time since I've read the others. I seem to remember liking one more than the other but can't remember which)

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Does Ten Thousand Immortals tie into the comics at all?

13. John Clark

Unfortunately, I can't say as I've not read the comics:(

According to the Raider wiki though, there are several contradictions so I don't think they tie in.

14. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm rereading Enterprise Kobayashi Maru by Andy Mangels& Micheal Martin.

15. Jinn

Wait, by Dan Abnett? I've got to put these on my "as soon as I'm finished with Trek" list!

16. John Clark

I have been going through a phase of his recently (mostly the Gaunt's series but also Embedded a few months back) :)

17. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

I finished "Three Sides to Every Story" by Terri Osborne from DS9: Prophecy and Change.
    I'm now over half way through the Hidden Universe Travel Guide to Vulcan by Dayton Ward.

18. Jinn

I read the Guardians of the Galxy and Nova comic books a few years back and thus declared myself a fan. And then never read anything by him again... I'm planning on reading the Aquaman book he wrote, though.

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Have you read Rocket Raccoon and Groot: Steal The Galaxy? They released this one and bunch of other Marvel prose novels on Google Play recently and I was very curious about them

Jinn likes this.
  20. Jinn

I did not know that this exists... I feel like a bad fan now... I suppose, I'll have to push my reading of the ENT relaunch back and instead catch up on all the Abnett stuff. Speaking of, I still got a Guardians 300 tpb lying around here somewhere...