Twin Peaks: The Review Run

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Joe Washington, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I think the first viewing or reading of any series is generally best done in the order it originally came out. A chronological viewing or reading (if it differs from that order) should come later, as a way of getting a different perspective.

2. Kirkman1987

Kirkman1987 Commodore Commodore

Series first.

The Deer Meadow scenes of Fire Walk With me serve as an amusing mirror image of Twin Peaks, and the joke is lost if you haven't seen the series. Plus, the first image someone should see in Twin Peaks is the discovery of Laura's body.

The movie really needs the opening anyway, it's the only lighthearted part of the film.

3. DeadmeatDiggory

DeadmeatDiggory Commander Red Shirt

As someone who never caught the series original, but knows of the ID of the killer, can the series be still enjoyed and has it been runined for me??

4. Joe Washington

Joe Washington Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I know the killer's identity though I've only seen a handful of the show's episodes. I think you can still enjoy the show because knowing the identity of the killer is one thing, finding out the why and going through the buildup to the reveal while the other characters at the time are unaware of it is quite another like you're waiting for a bomb to go off.

5. Kirkman1987

Oh Yes, TP is one of the most original television shows ever, and it's cult fanbase has been rewatching the series for 20 years. It has a lot to offer outside of the reveal of the mystery. The characters, build up, jokes, music, etc. are top notch.

watching it knowing the killer and mysteryallows you to enjoy the series in another way.

6. DeadmeatDiggory

DeadmeatDiggory Commander Red Shirt

Thanks Joe, I'll hand to get my hands on the series ASAP.

7. Steve Roby

Steve Roby Rear Admiral Premium Member

I don't remember now if I knew who the killer was when I watched the series the first time. The fact that I've watched those episodes two or three more times since suggests it doesn't matter. There's a hell of a lot more to the show than the resolution of one of its storylines.

8. Joe Washington

I know it's been a very long wait since the last review I posted but while you are waiting patiently, can any of you Twin Peaks fans tell me what are your favorite episodes to make your time of waiting bearable?

9. Kirkman1987

It's not that unbearable, but I was wondering what happened to this.

I think most fans would agree that the Lynch directed ones are the best.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2010
  10. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Episode 3 - and specifically Cooper's dream - was the one that really hooked me to the show, but the most memorable ones were the episode in which the killer is revealed to the audience (the last 15 or so minutes are among the strongest, most disturbing moments on TV ever) and the one in which the 'who killed Laura' plot is concluded (great, very moving ending of the episode - the next episodes felt like such a letdown after that).

11. Kirkman1987

^

Yes, The conclusion to the murder story is so great. For all the complaints Lynch and Frost had about solving the murder so early, They sucked it up and did it perfectly.

Another fun question, What moments or plots do you enjoy after the conclusion of the murder story, excluding the final episode and FWWM?

Even though the quality dropped, I thought there was still a lot to enjoy in Twin Peaks. Gordon Cole had his best scenes later in the series.That Cooper, an FBI agent, thinks being a small town cop is such a noble thing and is nervous that he won't live up to it is hilarious. There was also Fox Mulder in drag.

I think I would say the show was still funny, but the drama was gone. I did like the conclusion of the Jean Renault story, and some of the stuff leading up to the black lodge was okay. I think the chess game was promising, but would've been far more dramatic if they killed off actual characters.

12. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

For me, the final episode is the show's best hour. That was just wild and intense.

13. Joe Washington

Calling all Twin Peaks fans!

Twin Peaks: The Review Run will resume soon.

14. Joe Washington

Calling Twin Peak fans!

Two years ago, I made the promise to watch Twin Peaks from beginning to end and write reviews of the episodes and the movie that followed the finale. Because of stuff going on in my life, I wasn't able to fully fulfill that promise. But, now that I have plenty of time before school resumes for me, I will be able to finish what I started once I receive the seasons of Twin Peaks I ordered.

So, Twin Peak fans, start getting ready for the return of Twin Peaks: The Review Run!

15. Aeronef

Aeronef Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

*Pours coffee. Slices pie.*

16. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Ready for some damn fine reviews.

17. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Damn. I wanted to do Twin Peaks as my next first-time watch after Firefly. Guess it'll have to be Cleopatra 2525.

18. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

:wtf:

:lol:

19. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

For something really bizarre, try watching it in reverse. Apparently the Man From Another Place speaks Klingon. :lol:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkhXHFnu99A[/yt]

20. Aeronef

Aeronef Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

You haven't heard Lynch until you have heard him in the original Klingon.