My name is.....SORAN!

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Khan 2.0, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

For what it's worth, Khan wasn't speaking about all 23rd century people not being able to break bone. He was making a sarcastic or insulting remark aimed at Spock, saying that if Spock can't even break rules, how can he be expected to break bone.

Khan in "Space Seed" was also very arrogant about being better than other people. In “Space Seed” he tells Kirk, “Captain, although your abilities intrigue me, you are quite honestly inferior. Mentally, physically. In fact, I'm surprised at how little improvement there has been in human evolution."

He talked about how he'd have eventually become the sole ruler on Earth in the 1990s and would've offered a world like Rome under Caesar.

When Marla told him he may not like living in their times, he said he'd have to mold them to his liking. I don't think he meant that would be done peacefully.

Characters like Khan were a recurring theme in all versions of Trek: incredibly gifted people who were also incredibly flawed in some tragic or criminal way.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  2. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

Seeing Gary-Cumberbatch vaoprize a platoon of klingons with his telekineitc and telepathic powers would have been awesome to see though.

But I agree. Without nerfing Gary Mitchell to a level that i can be beaten, there would be no way to maintain him as a threat throughout the film.

3. 22 Stars

22 Stars Commodore Commodore

OMG I want this on a T Shirt. Thank you for stating this so clearly. This is precisely why i think they made a mistake making Harrison = Khan.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  4. Cinema Geekly

Cinema Geekly Commander Red Shirt

Actually according to OpenMaw's post it wasn't a mistake. Maw may be correct that it didn't matter who they put in there to the casual audience even though of the names listed Khan is easily the most recognizable to non Trek fans and I think that is why they went that route.

Furthermore they did go with Khan and the movie made a lot of money and did well among critics and the movie going audience who all gave a majority of positive reviews.

People might have a point saying it was a mistake if the movie tanked, but that just wasn't the case.

5. MrJ

MrJ Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

A movie can do well and be riddled with problems, the Star Wars prequels and the Transformers movies for example. And out of all of the positive reviews for Star Trek Into Darkness I've read none of them claim it's a perfect movie, it's just good enough. Many critics have mentioned having Khan as the villain was a mistake. Yeah, STiD made a bunch of money, but compared to how Star Trek 2009 did, STiD's 3D and IMAX tickets and it's bigger budget, studio insiders consider STiD to have underperformed at the box office. Obviously it didn't bomb, but it didn't do as well as it was expected to do. And part of that could have been Khan, as well as many other things.

6. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Irrelevant. They still are those things, whether or not they THINK they are.

7. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Using Khan wasn't necessarily a mistake, the way they went about it was. So they went with Khan because they feel he's Star Trek's ultimate villain. That's all fine and good, but then they kept it a secret, refusing to identify the villain for ten months after he was cast and then they told us his name was John Harrison.

If the reason they chose to use Khan was because he's the Ultimate Villain and the one fans wanted to see brought into the rebooted universe the most, shouldn't they have advertised that fact? Made it well known that? Not make it the plot twist of the movie and go to the most ridiculous lengths to keep it a secret.

Hell, I suspect someone must realize this in hindsight since the blurb on the back of the Blu-ray box says the villain is Khan in the second sentence.

8. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Hollywood nowadays is all about the first weekend box office. And they figured that a mystery brings them more bucks in the first three days than the truth.

9. The Wormhole

A stupid approach, but then I should expect no better from the people who kept Lost going for six years by being mysterious.

But really, one would think you want to provide reasons in advance for people to see your movie, and then draw more in through word of mouth. Not make the main attraction a secret which no one will know until after someone's seen the movie.

10. austen_pierce

austen_pierce Captain Captain

And even those of us inside only give one and a half :lol:

11. austen_pierce

austen_pierce Captain Captain

There's a reason for that. First, he's dead. Second, his backstory prior to encountering the Nexus is irrelevant. There's really nothing to explore.

Unless you wanna go alternate reality.... he DID enter the Nexus after all. Anything could have happened after that, but it's kinda also a dead end since at that point, he got what he wanted.

12. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

It's almost like they were trying to duplicate the suspense behind rumors of Spock's death before Wrath of Khan was released 30 years ago.

And the OP somehow got me thinking of an old Irving Berlin song.

Khan: Anything you can do, I can do better. I can do anything better than you.
    Kirk: No, you can't.
    Khan: Yes, I can.
    Khan: Yes, I can.
    Khan: Yes, I can, yes, I can!

13. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Heh. Speaking of songs, every time I read the thread title, I have Copa Cabana running through my head (Her name was Lola... His Name was Rico... My Name is Soran...)

14. The Wormhole

So is Khan.

His backstory prior to encountering the Nexus involves the Borg. Are you really going to be surprised when they show up in the Abramsverse?

15. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Keeping Khan a mystery and out of the marketing was the worst thing that they could have done. Every Star Trek fan -- the people already planning to see this movie -- knew that the villain was Khan long before release, but the general public -- the people who need to be convinced to see it -- knew nothing more than some random guy named John was blowing shit up. Yeah, I wouldn't have seen it either.

16. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

If they'd really wanted to surprise us all, John Harrison could have been revealed as Harcourt Fenton Mudd. But then instead of Cumberbatch, he probably would have been Jack Black.

17. ChowdaHead

ChowdaHead Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

zZzZzZzZz

18. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

"Melakon [Fenton Mudd the third]....have you been drinking again..." ;)

Last edited: Oct 9, 2013