Cast the Characters of Trek Literature

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Haval_Runa, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Subtle? Calhoun? :wtf:

2. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As subtle as a sledgehammer to a tack.

I think SG1's Richard Dean Anderson could do Calhoun.

3. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

You got the wrong SG actor (IMO, of course ;))...Joe Flanigan or even Ben Browder could do Calhoun justice. RDA has the right attitude (at least close) but he's too old. Flanigan would probably be my first choice. He has the attitue, the look, and he kicks ass :techman:! Opinions...

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  4. Dark Gilligan

Dark Gilligan Writer Fleet Captain

Now we have the new Voyager cast to play with!

Captain Afsarah Eden: black female, exotic eyes, tall, in her 50s... Angela Bassett.

Admiral Willem Batiste: robust male, dark hair, also in his 50s... Alec Baldwin.

Ensign Lasren: Betazoid male, early 20s, ops officer... Eric Milligan.

5. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Angela Bassett's already occupied playing First Minister Asarem over on DS9. :)

How about Iman? She's in her 40s now.

6. Paris

I have a friend who worked on Project Runway (the Canadian version), and Iman was the guest for an episode. Supposedly she's actually little more than a functioning retard :(, but I guess that doesn't prevent us from seeing her in a role...

p.s.- just in case...I do remember that she was a "cameloid" in Star Trek VI.

7. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

The character is so over the top that I always imagined the actor playing him would have to keep it fairly understated, to avoid becoming a caricature. Subtle menace, when the lines are delivered with sarcasm.

I think people keep focusing on the witty banter side of his character, and keep forgetting his supposed to be able to stand there and just look at you and have you get an impression of a savage bastard just barely restrained. Browder, Fillion, and anyone from Stargate I can possibly imagine wouldn't be able to pull that off at all.

8. Paris

Maybe Fillion could... I think I see your point when it comes to Browder and Flanigan. Maybe they aren't "savage" enough...

Maybe Christian Bale or (gasp) Hugh Jackman? Other than the penchant for showtunes, the Jackman seems pretty wild...:cool:

9. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

See, that's just my point. "Savage" and "just barely restrained" don't suggest "subtle" to me. But I take your point about the actor needing to tone it down.

And I think both Browder and Fillion have shown themselves capable of playing characters with dark, dangerous sides underneath flippant exteriors.

Well, let's face it, Calhoun basically is Wolverine. However, I've always felt that Jackman's Wolverine falls short in precisely that area: I've never gotten the sense that he had that kind of savage fury smoldering in him.

10. Thrawn

Dark, maybe; savage, I don't really think so. Though I'll admit, were either of them to be cast, I'd certainly be damn curious to see if they could pull it off. Nonetheless, neither would be my first choice.

I agree with this pretty completely.

11. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Funny

12. Jiraiya

Jiraiya Lieutenant Red Shirt

How about Eliza Dushku as T'Prynn.

She'd be interesting made up as a Vulcan. And in a TOS miniskirt :D

J

13. ClayinCA

ClayinCA Commodore Commodore

Yeah, but as Dollhouse has shown, she can't act for toffee, unless she's playing Faith or a variation of her.

14. Thrawn

Fact.

15. William Leisner

William Leisner Scribbler Rear Admiral

^ Now, now.

We don't know that her directors have in fact offered her toffee as an incentive to act, yet...

16. Marie1

Marie1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ LOL!!!

TBH, I keep seeing myself as Prynn (which will seem absurd to any who know me)... I think I have issues. :p
    I think I'm just trying to see myself in the story, and she seems to disappear sometimes, but is usually there, which makes her a good character for insinuating yourself into the story.

I'm curious as to the woman on the cover who I believe is Prynn in MG... it's her hair that seems wrong-ish to me... but that was probably discussed earlier.

17. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

That's who I pictured reading Full Circle earlier this week.

18. ClayinCA

ClayinCA Commodore Commodore

In that case, they really should consider it as an option... :lol:

19. Rat Boy

Rat Boy Vice Admiral Admiral

She was all right in that Hulu commercial, though I'm pretty sure that it was all in the tongue.

20. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

How about Angela Bassett for Full Circle's Capt. Eden - as she appeared in 2000's Supernova alongside James Spader?