Tabulated review threads sorted by average score

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Sho, Jan 13, 2012.

1. youngtrek

youngtrek Commander Red Shirt

Hi. I’m still new here. Avro Arrow made me aware of this when I started a McCoy: Provenance of Shadows poll thread without “review thread” in the title. This is awesome.

I did include “review thread” in the other two threads I started for the Spock and Kirk books in the trilogy, but they haven’t started showing up on the aggregator page, even at the bottom where it lists review threads with less than four votes.

It says at the review aggregator site: “The listing is updated twice daily to reflect new threads and new votes. It was last updated on 05/31/20 11:16:33 UTC.“

That would seem to indicate to me that there might be something wrong with the aggregator since it has not updated since May 31(?)

Markonian likes this.
  2. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Hm, interesting. Sho hasn't been around much lately; I wonder if something's gone wrong and the site isn't being monitored?

captainmkb and Markonian like this.
  3. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hey! I just remembered I made this. :-)

It does look like it has some problems and needs an update these days. I'll give it some love during my Christmas vacation and make it work again.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Oh! Welcome back. Long time no see.

Markonian likes this.
  5. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

Ditto - great to see you in the forum again, @Sho

Enjoy your vacation :)

Markonian likes this.
  6. youngtrek

Hmmm… My Shatnerverse The Return review thread managed to get tabulated into the results page but not my one for Avenger. I wonder why? It has six votes in the poll, and I believe I filled out the thread title correctly.

—David Young

7. youngtrek

Ok, I assume this is because I selected the “Poll” prefix when I created the review thread for Avenger rather than the “Spoilers” one (or no prefix at all). I don’t see a way for me to edit the prefix of the existing thread (even though I’m the originator of it). Is this something an admin can do or do I need to just create a new duplicate thread (with the correctly formatted title) and then delete the first one?

—David Young

8. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

We don't need an admin for that, that's something a mod can do. I've updated the Poll prefix to a Spoiler prefix, hopefully that works!

youngtrek likes this.
  9. youngtrek

Thanks. I forget there are both “admins” and “mods” here. I’ve grown too accustomed to Facebook Groups, I guess.

—David Young

Avro Arrow likes this.
  10. Sho

Hey folks, it's that time of the decade again when I notice this little webapp of mine still exists and runs, but is somewhat broken now. I'll give it a go today to fix things again.

Edit: Looks like it's not my fault -- Goodreads shut down their API! I'll code around it though ...

Last edited: Dec 30, 2023
  11. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Wow, it's amazing to see you back after all this time! Glad you're doing okay.

Kertrats47, Avro Arrow and Sho like this.
  12. Sho

Being a Star Trek fan lasts a lifetime! :-)

But I agree - it's pretty crazy this review lister has been running for 11 years already next month. I've moved continents twice, gotten married and had a kid and many other adventures in that time span. Quite enough to fill a novel that I can happily say I'd rate Outstanding :-).

Anyhow, things are back in working order! The fixes:
    • It had trouble examining the first page of the forum thread listing, meaning book review probably inexplicably turned up on the page quite late (i.e. when after got pushed to page 2).
    • Perhaps due to a change in the forum software(?), some review threads were listed twice as their URLs had changed.
    • The strategy to find the Goodreads page for a book should be more reliable now.
    • Getting the publication date from Goodreads was broken.
    • Getting the Goodreads ratings score for comparing to the forum was broken.
    • The columns were a little too narrow to fit the sorting arrow icons.
    • Review scores are now always two digits after the decimal point, for easier comparisons.

I also performed other assorted maintenance, e.g. updating the dependencies and copyright dates.

You may still see some errors while I tinker some more, but it should probably settle down within the next few hours.

Will Articles of the Federation ever be dethroned?! Happy reading!

PS.: I'd love for a link to this to be included in the "Reference threads" sticky! I still think it's quite handy to discover the most acclaimed books in our community. :-)

Edit: Done tinkering; things should be good.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2023
  13. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

Good idea! I have added both this thread and a link to the site into the reference threads list!

Thank you for maintaining this resource for all of us in this community!

Kertrats47, Sho and Markonian like this.
  14. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

Even after all this time, we're still trying to figure out what book is supposed to go before it. ;)

Sho, Avro Arrow and Markonian like this.
  15. Sho

Thanks! :-)

I will make some further improvements in the coming days. I think it's about time to add a little search/filter field, and I'll also make it a little more ergonomic on smartphones, tricorders and PADDs.

Maybe that long-overdue sequel ... throw some money at KRAD already, powers that be!

Markonian, Avro Arrow and youngtrek like this.
  16. Sho

I've added a search-filter field (five, even!), so if you've ever wanted to only see Articles of the Federation in the listing, you now can make this happen.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2024
    Oz Trekkie, Avro Arrow and Kertrats47 like this.