A Star trek CGI series

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Admiral Pike, Jun 4, 2009.

?

CGI Star Trek

1. Yes

59 vote(s)
    76.6%
  2. No

18 vote(s)
    23.4%
  1. Admiral Pike

Admiral Pike Lieutenant Red Shirt

It's true, we fans have sometimes expressed scepticism over the idea a Star Trek CGI series, and for a number of valid reasons; Like the difficulty to relate to CGI characters. Or the fact that it wouldn't be a high-profile live action show. Or that CGI used to be fairly limited technically (with emphasis on "used to").

However, after seeing Star Trek: Aurora ( www.auroratrek.com ), as well as some other non-Star Trek related CGI productions, I've completely changed my mind on the matter. Yes, I'd say that a CGI series is very much feasible. Now that I've seen a number of newer CGI productions, I've come to realize that CGI has really come a long way, and that it is indeed possible to relate to CGI characters. A CGI show also has the advantage that it's fairly easy to display really exotic and non-humanoid aliens of many different shapes and sizes.

Now, as far as I understand, Aurora is basically the work of a single person, doing it for free on his spare time. (And the first episode is also already several years old.) So just imagine what would be the end result if a CGI series got the budget of a TV programme, with a number of professionals working on it with state-of-the-art computer technology at their hands.
    I think the outcome would indeed be excellent.

Let us ponder for a minute the advantages of a CGI show:
    *The relative ease to show really exotic and non-humanoid aliens (four-legged creatures, sulfur-based lifeforms, worm-like organisms, tentacled creatures, etc).
    *A CGI series won't appear as "cartoonish" or "kiddy" as a Star Trek cartoon would.
    *A much lower cost than a live action show. No actors demanding a higher salary each season. No expensive sets or props, no need for costly alien prostetics or puppetry.
    *It's easier to relate to semi-realistic CGI characters than it is with unreal and often odd-looking cartoony characters.
    *You can for a fairly low cost bring in cameos from the other Star Trek productions: Picard, Data, Worf, Riker, Q, Kira, Dukat, Dax, Seven of Nine, Ambassador Spock, or any and all of the Star Trek XI actors.

As far as I can see, a CGI show would definitely be a compelling continuation of the Star Trek saga.

So... what are your current thoughts regarding a CGI Star Trek series?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2009
  2. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

There is a production called AURORA over in the fan production area that is indeed a CGI series. It centers on two characters and the writing is pretty witty and the story is pretty cool. Check it out. I have nothing to do with that production, but I am a fan of it. So please, MODs, don't accuse me of promoting something of my own; I'm not.

Rob

3. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

Any regular reader of Future of Trek forum will know I've been a big supporter of CGI animation.

Admiral Pike wrote:
    Although the art department on a Trek movie has the largest number of people building those sets. In CG one person can build a CG model of a location, another person does the lighting, another person the atmospheric effects. Even if you triple this it is minimal compared to live-action. for making a set/location see The Making of Tython in Knights of the Old Republic [5 minute video] [see at 3:38 specifically]
    I've posted these 4 videos before but here they all are in one place.

3 videos show what is possible with a CG animated series with characters, story, camera moves, slow-motion, costumes, alien characters's head design, lighting, action, effects.

Star Wars: The Old Republic cinematic trailer

Resident Evil: Degeneration Red Band (Movie Trailer)

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (2:12 trailer)
    (after 30 second ad WMV or QT)

A Trek CGI series has this potential too. And it could go as dark in tone as you want especially for an extended edition director's cut on Blu-ray/DVD that wouldn't be suitable for broadcast TV's TV Parental Guidelines system's TV-PG and TV-14 ratings. Not just in violence but in content like the BBC not showing episodes of TNG.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2009
  4. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

i couldn't agree more and I am surprised it hasn't happened yet. The key, I think, is getting hip writing. All the CGI in the world isn't going to help if there is no life to what is being shown.

Rob

5. regemet

regemet Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Well I became pro C G I after watching Gerry Andersons New Captain Scarlet

6. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

Oh, I am totally with you. I have no idea how they do it, these folks who use CGI, so I am really impressed with it. I recently was contacted by someone on the BBS to maybe co-write a CGI story with him. I have no idea what that means, or how he puts words to CGI art work, but it will be fun to do if it all works out....

My grandfather, he is 96 years old, had many cartoon gags, you know, little one frame cartoon jokes, published in many magazines...Readers Digest, Playboy (go grandpa) and Star and Globe and National Enquirer. Its amazing how far "art" technology has come...

Rob

7. jefferiestubes8

New Captain Scarlet CGI series 2004-2006 info

New Captain Scarlet or NCS) is a United Kingdom-produced computer-generated imagery action-adventure TV series which debuted in February 2005 as part of the Ministry of Mayhem on ITV.
    Gerry Andersons New Captain Scarlet Ending [8min video]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YER4dPam1mY

Well, it is better than The Clone Wars TV series style of animation IMHO...

info:
    Captain Scarlet Blasts Off In New CG Series
    Gerry Anderson and Sony Partner On 26 Episodes
    October 21st 2004
    http://www.hollywoodnorthreport.com/article.php?Article=611

DVD review:
    Gerry Anderson's New Captain Scarlet Series 1 DVD Review
    18-10-2005
    http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=58902

8. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I still prefer the style of traditional animation over CGI. CGI is great for locations and objects, but tends to have an uncanny valley effect on people, even aliens. If someone did it I'd be open-minded about it, though.

9. EmmanuelZorg

EmmanuelZorg Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I agree, i wouldn't mind seeing a anime style ST series done by Peter Chung of "Aeon Flux" fame.

10. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

I think it will happen someday. My dream series would be CGI Kirk and Spock episodic series written by actual SF writers.

11. Dusty Ayres

Dusty Ayres Commodore

Very much in the positive-and I want to see a show or movie done in the style of this game trailer: Star Wars: The Old Republic

I wouldn't also mind seeing a traditional cel-animated anime show/movie/OAV in the style of Batman: Gotham Knight-that would be amazing beyond belief.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2009
  12. Middle Earther

Middle Earther Commodore Commodore

As long as the stories are thought provoking and entertaining, I'm all for it!!

13. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

No, I want live action for "official Trek." Fanfilms can use CGI, and there are no shortage of those.

14. xman

xman Commander Red Shirt

I voted 'yes' and would like to see an animated series, but suspect that an Anime series would be more fun to watch.

X

15. jefferiestubes8

If the Borg were used as a character many 'extras' could be in the background but not just created as a CG character but using a AI model created in a videogame engine so they wouldn't have to be animated.

Actually other alien and human background action 'extras' could be done the same way.
    It would add a lot of production value.

In Star Trek Nemesis on the SCE DVD the visual effects guys spoke about creating Romulus as a CG model during that big flyover and then having to add animated characters walking around.
    Motion Capture is one thing like it was used in Resident Evil Degeneration in this behind-the-scenes video about the MoCap in RE:D but now these characters could be AI.

16. jefferiestubes8

This location looks to me like it very well could be a structure on a Star Trek TV series alien planet.
    http://xbox360media.gamespy.com/xbo...9/red-faction-guerrilla-20090320044040537.jpg

It is from a videogame on the PS3 that was released this month.
    How about the idea of a CGI Trek series and then a PS3/XBOX360 game released in 1080p that used the same locations (and the same CG models) similar to this idea?
    As fans we could explore these locations ourselves in realtime being able to walk all around the 'sets' in full high definition quality.
    When will Michael Okuda & John Ives & Alan S. Kaye [set designer on STVI:TUC, DS9, Insurrection, Nemesis] start making their CG models available as a PS3 official Star Trek volume 1 'game' that is more of a interactive encyclopedia to explore the Star Trek Universe much more than a MMORPG like Star Trek Online.
    I want official Trek TV and feature film designers creating the alien world and alien ship designs that are the CG models used in a game as well as a CG canon series.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2009
  17. jefferiestubes8

motion capture for animating characters

Motion capture technology has gotten to the point now that 'passive' motion cature cameras shoot at up to 120fps.
    That is action-movie explosion slow motion speed. Once that data is captured and the characters are animated a director can place the camera anywhere including moving it or doing the whole "The Matrix" speed
    -ramp-to-360-look. We will start to see more technocrane style shots designed in CG animation by directors working in this medium.
    James Cameron's "Avatar" releasing in December 2009 supposedly will change things in regards to motion capture technology so you can expect copycat films to surface in 2011 and 2012. Will a Trek CG series be starting production around then?

18. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: motion capture for animating characters

I would watch it. However, I would also watch new Filmation episodes...

19. RobertScorpio

RobertScorpio Pariah

Re: motion capture for animating characters

LOL..i agree. This is a sympathic forum!!!

rob

20. jefferiestubes8

check out this
    3D CGI short film [Length 7:47]
    http://www.3dm3.com/video/2009/06/09/oceansize/
    The camera moves are really cool. Great lighting and sets.
    The human character animation is lacking though. Some nice atmospheric effects with lighting.
    It is also pretty simple sound design. mostly music and only some sound effects.

Recently viewed part of an episode from Star Wars: The Clone Wars TV show and it really looks good too with the exception of the character animation. The sets & locations, ships, props are really top notch. The lighting was great too on the characters (even thought the character's stylized animation leaves a lot to be desired)

So how much different are these two animations then? Both suffer from bad character animations. SW:The Clone Wars spent between $1-2 million per episode including the orchestral music, voice acting, sound work. Oceansize was made by 4 students. You can guess how low a budget they had...
    How do you feel about a Star Trek series being CGI animated like these two?

Star Wars: The Old Republic trailer cost a lot to make and it's only 4 minutes. That level of quality would cost too much to make a TV series. Possibly a TV movie would be doable though... The sets & CG character models can be reused.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2009