Read & Reread "Greater Than The Sum"- My Opinion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Dayton3, Aug 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Certainly Enterprise was quite juvenile in its attempts at titillation, but none of the other shows came anywhere near those depths. Even VGR, with all its full-length shots of Seven of Nine in her catsuit, rarely contrived gratuitous excuses to get her in her underwear or put her in compromising bondage positions with a male senior officer.

2. wizkid

wizkid Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The original poster pointed out that teaching abstinence only has failed and wanted to know why well known political people still say they should teach it. I was making the very point you were making toward me but I should be less dry on the interweb where you can't read into dry sarcasam. Amy, please take no offense to what I just said as it is meant to be constructive and not the other way around.

My point was light hearted that no matter what we teach or do, we will still have problems.

My point about the inner light is also done in the same way. Let's name the 10 best episodes of TNG and see which one's involve sex in a Yar/Data or Riker/Alien way. For curiosity sake only.

Sex scenes are hard to do and I object because I won't be able to hand over a ST TNG novel to my nieces until they are at an age where they can read this. I think Christopher has handled it well though from what I have read so far in GTTS.

3. wizkid

Juvenile is a better word and best describes Enterprise. Having 7 of 9 on Voyager was handled only moderately better IMHO. If she is going to be a crewman, wear a Star Fleet uniform, not a liquid cast 0.0001" thick film of future spandex.

4. Amy Sisson

Amy Sisson Writer Captain

No offense taken, certainly. But I do believe that the abstinence-only approach fails a whole lot more than the information-based approach.

5. wizkid

I think all combined are more effective. As to which approach is better? We may never really know.

Most of my friends that got knocked up at a young age (high school) knew better, were taught how to prevent this in school, and yet still got pregnant. Probably because they were like the Enterprise writers and acted juvenile ;) or gave in to peer pressure and avoided the obvious birth control choices.

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I guess not, it's just that that scene always comes to mind for me whenever this topic gets brought up. But now that I think about it more, the only other scene that I can think of from another Trek show that was that juvenile was when q made 7's clothes dissapear, and that was supposed to be juvenile.

7. Steve Roby

Steve Roby Rear Admiral Premium Member

Your nieces may be as wonderful as my nieces, but I can't say I want any of our nieces determining what I can read.

8. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Abstinence-only programs, by definition, cannot be combined with other appraoches (because then they wouldn't only be "teaching" abstinence). :confused:

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman

9. wizkid

I see your point but they can be combined with "how you get here classes." ;-)

We do live in an imperfect world. I was taught both ways so it can done.

10. Christopher

^^Teaching the basics of procreation and calling it sex education is like teaching the alphabet and calling it a grounding in English literature. And teaching abstinence is like teaching people not to read books lest they be exposed to unhealthy or disapproved ideas.

11. Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward Word Pusher Rear Admiral

Well, to be fair, many of those who advocate the former are also pretty big on pushing the latter, as well, at least so far as "certain" books are concerned.

12. Dayton3

Dayton3 Admiral

I personally loathe the idea of having sex in Star Trek at all.

Of course, I prefer an all male crew as well.

13. Dayton Ward

Star Trek: The He-Man Woman Haters Club, coming this fall to Spike!

14. PaulSimpson

PaulSimpson Writer/Editor Captain

Guest starring Kate Mulgrew as the ghost of Kathryn Janeway? :evil:

15. William Leisner

William Leisner Scribbler Rear Admiral

Which would have meant no Next Generation...

How about we meet halfway? An all-male crew with lots of sex? :devil:

16. Dayton Ward

Haven't you been paying attention? Trek writers can't or won't write for strong female characters.

17. PaulSimpson

PaulSimpson Writer/Editor Captain

Write for them? Or write them?

18. William Leisner

William Leisner Scribbler Rear Admiral

And what does Kathryn Janeway have to do with "strong female characters"?

19. Christopher

If you don't want to have sex in Star Trek, you could always buy Battlestar Galactica bedsheets instead.

20. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

What's the appeal of that, if you don't mind my asking?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.