"Polaris"

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Admiral Buzzkill, Jan 7, 2009.

1. O'Dib

O'Dib Commodore Commodore

The thing with fan productions, though, is you're using someone's intellectual property, and probably forgo the right to sue if the property owners like your ideas and end up using them.

As far as the new Polaris. Like it. The folded sails version is probably the best looking so far. The deployed version is cool too, and best used as described, a short FX sequence before jumping to ftl.

2. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Vektor's stuff is amazing!

3. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

It absolutely is.

In fact, we have no rights where Star Trek is concerned. They can put an end to all of us tomorrow with a C&D letter.

4. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

But Polaris isn't Star Trek I thought? Isn't that point? so you can retain full copywrite control over your product. Some parts may look similar to Star Trek but as mentioned in the other thread, alot of Scfi looks similar to something else to tradmark accusation have to be pretty conclusive.

Look at 'The Asylum' film studio they make films that are very similar in plot and name (The Terminators, Transmorphers) to popular to scifi favorites and sell alot of the them on DVD and to the Syfy channel.

5. Admiral Buzzkill

I was wearing my Exeter hat.

Yeah, it gets confusing in here.

Polaris is to Star Trek as Trek is to Forbidden Planet, or Babylon 5, or Battlestar Galactica or the Stargate shows or half a dozen other things - it's another space opera show.

6. Horizon

Horizon Commander Red Shirt

Let the fat lady sing...
    That DOES happen in Space Opera, right?

Musical or not, looking forward to Polaris.

7. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

8. DestinyCaptain

DestinyCaptain Commander Red Shirt

I think it's real perty.

9. Admiral Buzzkill

Speaking of "real perty" - and talented...

Susan Cirrincione will play Lieutenant Commander January Howard in Polaris.

[​IMG]

Susan has combined a career as a model with acting assignments that include television dramas “The Kill Point” and the pilot for “Three Rivers” as well as upcoming features “She’s Out of My League” (Dreamworks) and “Love and Other Drugs” (20th Century Fox). Other recent appearances include national commercials for brands like Mercedes-Benz and participation in the “Visit Pittsburgh” tourism campaign for her home town.

The full casting announcement is here.

10. Admiral Buzzkill

http://www.starshippolaris.com

A couple of new construction images:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The fellow operating those invisible control panels (they're going to be delivered on Tuesday) and wielding the hammer is our indispensible construction supervisor Doug Caprette.

Here's a design sketch of the Command Deck - details of the final set continue to evolve.

[​IMG]

11. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

I like the Tenth Doctor for scale. :lol:

12. Admiral Buzzkill

I think he likes our "holotable" - it's cozily familiar somehow. :lol:

13. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This looks really cool! And I love the holotable. Are the Burke chairs going to be part of the set as a nod to Trek, or did someone just bring them to the stage as a lark?

14. Admiral Buzzkill

They're my dining room chairs. We're using them. :)

15. USS Mariner

USS Mariner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Awesome. I can't wait to join you guys during Thanksgiving weekend. ;)

16. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm sitting here chuckling over the fact that these are your dining room chairs. It not only figures, it's awesome.

17. Mallory

Mallory Moderator In Memoriam

That glass domed station in the middle of the command deck is vaguely reminiscent of the astrogator (or whatever they called it) on the top deck of the Jupiter II in Lost in Space.

18. IcecreamLtDan

IcecreamLtDan Captain Captain

Actually, the whole set is rather reminiscent of Forbidden Planet. Not that that's a bad thing or anything. I also don't think the set is too realistic. There's no one walking around with bandages on and no blood on the set. :)

19. Admiral Buzzkill

It's deliberately reminiscient of Forbidden Planet, and of coure Lost In Space derived a lot of their design from that film as well. I think, though, that we're eliminating the dome in favor of a disc with some lighting effects work on it - we've got a really sharp guy working on that gag. The dome created a lot of headaches for lighting and causes potential problems with eye-lines as well.

There are bandages and blood aplenty, but most of them are currently on the guy who was holding the camera here. ;)

20. The Lensman

The Lensman Commodore Commodore

I wish I hadn't read this thread. You see I remember reading about this a good while ago and thinking it was one of those things that'd prolly never go anywhere, ultimately. And now it is, and I realized that there's nothing I really watch anymore and that this looks all kinds of awesome.....and I'll have to wait what seems like forever for it to get done.

I love the design sensabilities and the fact that it'll be done like some of the cooler shows I grew up with back in the day. Love my modern stuff, but glad that someone realizes there's room for a different approach.

Other than that, awesome. Cant wait to see the finished set. Good luck guys...really looking forward to seeing this!