I hate it when...

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Mayack419, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Mayack419

Mayack419 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Characters in the show refer to the ship as "the Voyager" rather than "Voyager". It gets on my nerves to no end. It shouldn't bother me, because in TNG the ship was always referred to as "the Enterprise" rather than "Enterprise". Don't know why, but there should never be a "the" preceding "Voyager". That is all. :techman:

2. Sandoval

Sandoval Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Voyager.
    The Voyager.
    The Voyager.

Nothing wrong with it.

3. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That was only in the first couple episodes though, right? It seems like the writers nipped that problem in the bud early on. And yeah, Voyager sounds better than The Voyager, perhaps because The and the syllable "Voy" just don't flow well together.

*MY* pet peeve though was that trend was carried over into Enterprise. I realize that in the modern Navy/NASA tradition it's the unspoken rule that there's no "the" before the ship's name, but it just didn't sound right for the rest of Starfleet, nevermind Enterprise -- saying "The Enterprise" is an unspoken rule in Star Trek, particularly in TOS, TNG, and the films, but even whenever DS9 and VOY writers outright referenced the ship. Though, thanks to Netflix I've noticed that TNG occasionally called the ship Enterprise, without "The".

4. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Didn't we do this in the ENT forum a few weeks ago?

Enterprise finally fixed the TOS/TNG monologue, replacing "To boldly go" with "To go boldly" - it's only fitting they fixed the "the" thing too.

Besides, the hundred+ years between ENT and TOS/STXI is plenty of time for naming conventions to change.

5. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Voyager is a Nourn. It's the name of the ship.

The Voyager is an Adjective. A description of the ships intent.

Totally different.

6. The Dominion

The Dominion Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The problem is "The Enterprise" sounds like a ship, but "The Voyager" sounds like an entity.

7. Admiral Shran

Admiral Shran Admiral Admiral

^ That's the problem right there.

TOS and TNG referenced their ships as "The Enterprise." DS9 referenced its ship as "the Defiant." VOY couldn't do that because it made the ship sound like a person. ENT should have returned to "the Enterprise."

8. You_Will_Fail

You_Will_Fail Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm pretty sure it was only in a couple of episodes, so unless you keep watching those same 2 or 3 episodes over and over, I don't see the problem

9. JB2005

JB2005 Commodore Commodore

See when I hear "Get us back aboard the Enterprise" it always makes me think that Picard or Kirk or whoever have been kicked out of a really exciting business proposal...

10. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Outside of Paris doing it once early on, I can't remember anybody ever doing it. And they should have. Just saying "Voyager" was dumb. Of course, it doesn't irritate me no end as the opposite seems to do to you, but I just think it sounds silly without the "The". Same with Enterprise later on.

11. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

I don't see the need for the "The" in front of ship names. Nobody ever says "The Picard" or "The Sisko".

Oh wait.

Well, you know what I mean anyway...

12. The Dominion

The Dominion Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Nobody ever said The Janeway, so maybe she doesn't get those privileges.

13. JB2005

JB2005 Commodore Commodore

They might now she's gone to the big coffee pot in the sky...