Design the Next Enterprise

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Shikarnov, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Vinkula

Vinkula Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

That's my favourite entry with the DJ Curtis' Enterprise-F.

2. DFScott

DFScott Captain Captain

I wasn't even certain folks were taking this contest seriously until I saw Mojomoe's entry. Now it's an art contest.

1. It's clearly the Enterprise. On the one hand, it's nice to imagine what ship builders at the dawn of the 25th century would do with a design lineage, and play with the idea that they'd change course in mid-stream with a completely different concept. On the other hand, this is Star Trek, which has another purpose entirely. The Enterprise, whether it's the NX-01 or the 1701 or the "D" or the "E," is a character in the show. It's a few centuries worth of continuity, and at times, it's the only continuity this franchise really has. So you have to be able to identify this character from a distance just like you'd identify any other character in the show.

2. But on second glance, it is a different ship. Just like the recent model Dodge Challenger is clearly a Challenger, but on second glance, it's really, really cool, this Enterprise-F has its own statement to make. She's long, lean, and agile. She's headstrong, not hiding anything, not crouching down over some secret weapon like the 1701-E appears to be doing at times. There's graceful lines that carry through from the bow to the stern, which you don't typically get from a kitbash that crushes together lines from various ships at odd angles.

In looking to nature for inspiration, you can imagine Matt Jefferies looking to seabirds; and we all know about Andrew Probert having looked to the cheetah as the inspiration for the crouching posture of the "D." There's a lot of Thomson's gazelle in this "F," including a) the hind legs that seem to have already pushed off even when it's standing still; b) the bold horizontal striping; c) the "horns" on the nacelles that tip down and then up, like a dovetail turning backwards; d) the gash down the underside of the face like the gazelle's "grease paint" mark along the sides of his nose; e) the bright undercarriage like the belly of a bunny rabbit. I also like how the "stretch marks" suggest motion, as though the ship were wearing Speedos one size too big, and they puckered up from being dragged in the water.

There's design cues all over this thing that make it a unique vessel and a class act. They're subtle, the way drawings tend to be and renderings fail to be. I can imagine this ship fully modeled, but I'm wondering whether that would do justice to the ideal presented in the drawing. I'd pay good money to play the game that made me the captain of this vessel.

And I'd be very interested to hear what Doug Drexler would have to say about this baby.

DF "Is That an Atari Logo Stamped Into the Primary Hull? Talk About Subtlety!" Scott

3. Starship

Starship Captain Captain

I´m expecting anxiouslly updates Saquist! :)

sojourner, I believe the "front" nacele is the best.

4. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

Oooh! I think I have a new favorite!

5. Vincent Law

Vincent Law Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It looks too much like the JJprise in my opinion. In my view that might be the "next Enterprise" in the JJ-verse, but not a successor to the Enterprise-E we saw in the last few movies.

6. Saquist

Saquist Commodore

Working on 2D Plans...(just in case)

7. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

Maybe that is why I like it so much. But I do agree that design does look more like the Enterprise-B in the JJ universe.

8. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

Don't you mean A?

9. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

Oh, heck no. Just cut down on the light flares and it will be a near perfect next step to the Enterprise E.

JJ's Enterprise had a lot of it's components squished too tightly together. I like how this design is very open and wide.

And look at the star drive section! It's bigger than the warp nacelles!

10. Belisarius

Belisarius Captain Captain

^
    I think that's just perspective. The nacelles are definitely longer, though they can't possibly mass as much as the engineering hull, individually.

~Belisarius
    ---------------------------
    "All life is struggle, from first breath to last."
    - Anonymous

11. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

Can't top that one. :techman:

12. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I've actually been unmoved by pretty much most of what I've seen, although there are bits and pieces I see here-and-there that are interesting. But by far the above image is the first one I've seen that actually says "Enterprise" to me.

:wtf: It doesn't look anything like that fugly p.o.s.

13. Saquist

Saquist Commodore

Actually the nacelles are hooded just like the JJ prise and the Neck is doubled like the JJ Prise

14. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

^^ The above image has grace and style and presence. JJ's Fuglyprise has none of that but distorted proportions and shapes.

15. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

It's also not an obvious kitbash of the TMP refit and Gabe Koerner's alternate version.

16. Redstang

Redstang Cadet Newbie

17. Vincent Law

Vincent Law Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It looks like someone squashed the JJprise and stretched it out. It has essentially the same styling in the nacelles, including the new blue-tinted bussard collectors and a very similar styling to the deflector area. Just because it doesn't look exactly the same as the JJprise doesn't mean that there isn't any resemblance. If anything, this would pass as the JJ-verse's Excelsior or as a direct successor of the JJprise itself.

18. goofy

goofy Lieutenant

19. Vinkula

Vinkula Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

20. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

So this Enterprise is guilty of resembling an Enterprise that resembles an Enterprise. Well, with that kind of arguing, forget this Enterprise. You can make that exact same argument to any ship that has the following features.

Saucer Section: √
    Secondary Hull: √
    Two Warp Nacelles stretched out via pylons: √

But if you want to poke at the finer details, allow me draw more comparisons between this Enterprise and the Enterprise E.

The warp nacelle pylons are stretching more horizontal than vertical and they curve unlike JJ's pylons. The deflector array is more attached to the secondary hull and has a bit of an angle like the Enterprise E. The saucer section has less circular outlines like the lines from the impulse engines to the forward section like the Enterprise E, including having the Impulse Engines spread apart rather than joined into one single output area.

Oh, and those warp engines? Not only are they smaller in size to JJ's Enterprise, but JJ's completely lacks the black lining, which is reminiscent of the original Enterprise's "refit" warp engine design. Only here, the black linings go all the way back to the end instead of only part way.

Yeah, it vaguely resembles JJ's Enterprise, but it resembles the A and the E models perfectly.