Did this movie make Star Trek "cool"?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Joby, Nov 22, 2009.

1. Joby

Joby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Did this movie temporarily make Star Trek a bit more cool? Or at the very least, if not cool, then considerably less geeky?

It's surreal to overhear people that I know would never watch Star Trek talk about how great they thought this film was. This is something I never thought would happen, even with First Contact or Voyage Home, it wasn't like this. And TNG's heyday in the early-mid 90s was somewhat different, more of an intellecutal hip to be tuning into that series back in 1994...like being a U2 fan. Like "hey look at me I'm smart and in the know, I watch TNG", but never really cool.

Abram's Trek XI on the otherhand has people openly bragging about the movie like any other summer blockbuster.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  2. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    The producers made this movie cool. The previous Star Trek productions did not become cool by association.

Everyone I know saw this movie and loved it... and I don't know any genuine Star Trek fans. Most of the people I know range from non-fan to extremely-casual fan (the kind who believe that Christie Alley played Spock's daughter in Star Trek 3 [the one with the new Enterprise, you know]). The biggest Trek fans I know are my parents... and they've probably seen every episode in the franchise exactly one time.

Also, I have overheard fairly cool looking teenagers raving about the film on more than one occasion. It's certainly cooler than it used to be.

3. Yeoman Randi

Yeoman Randi Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh yes, i definitely think so. For my almost 16 yr old daughter to love it, it has to be! And, get this....my 25 yr old son is looking into changing his middle name to Tiberius. I swear!

4. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    I think it's cool. That's all anyone needs to know. :D

5. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Yes. I convinced several people to see the movie, they were all non-trek fans and they all came back gushing about how much they loved the movie and thought it was cool.

J.

6. Disillusioned

Disillusioned Commander

Star Trek has always been cool. Frak this movie. :shifty:

7. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Commodore Commodore

I don't think it's a question of Trek being cool or uncool, but I do think this movie is a lot more accessible to the non fan, then the other shows and films.

8. Disillusioned

Disillusioned Commander

TWoK and TVH were more accessible to the "non-fan" too, and they managed to do that without changing basically everything but the names and without being mindless action movies.

9. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, you also need to define cool. For me, cool doesn't mean 'something that lots of people like'.

10. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Commodore Commodore

To each their own. I thought this film was the perfect way to update the classic show, while being accessible to new people.

11. Disillusioned

Disillusioned Commander

That too.

And I thought it was a horrible and stupid way to "update" the classic show (which I'm not even that big of a fan of), all in the name of trying to make it more accessible to new people.

12. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

YES!! Normally I might see 2 people a year wearing Sar trek items...I SAW THREE IN ONE DAY YESTERDAY! The DVDs are being sold out even in supermarkets and they are displayed prominently.

RAMA

13. GhostFaceSaint

GhostFaceSaint Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

On the north pole in GhostFaceSaint's workshop.
    I agree with the sentiment here that the new movie was very cool, hopefully the next film will do the same thus making Trek itself; cool:cool:!

14. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Let's see... Trekkies still holding conventions... no, still not cool.

15. donners22

donners22 Commodore Commodore

It made Star Trek 2009 cool by dividing it from what had come before. It did not make what came before it regarded as more cool, but rather distingished itself from it.

Indeed, one might argue that it even made "old" Star Trek seem less cool, with the divide emphasised by several reviewers.

16. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

It's pretty cool at Amazon; I just returned from there.

[​IMG]

17. WarMaster1701

WarMaster1701 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Yes it did. Especially to the casual viewers

18. 6079SmithW

6079SmithW Vice Admiral Admiral

I personally thought it was pretty cool. It got me re-interested in classic Trek. My dad had all the re-mastered TOS dvds, but I was pretty apathetic towards them until I saw this movie. My little cousin, who's first exposure to star trek was this movie, got really excited about TOS and is currently going through all the TOS episodes. So I can say that this movie has made older trek cool for some.

19. ladycat

ladycat Cadet Newbie

I think that the new Star Trek movie is cool! I esp. liked Urban as Dr. McCoy. He did a great job!

20. Bob Blusoe

Bob Blusoe Cadet Newbie

As I am a teenager, I may be a bit biased. After Star Wars Episode III Came out, I felt that star wars had ended and began searching for a new series to enjoy. (Star Wars is still over for me; the Prequels were pretty bad but the 2008 Clone Wars Show is horrific.) I found Star Trek. I love all the Star Trek series, although Next Generation is my personal favorite. Because I found Star Trek in 2005, I never got to experience trek being "cool" with mainstream America and I was considered even more a nerd than before.

While I love all previous Star Trek stuff, I really loved this new film, mainly because I liked how it could bring an "end" to the original reality and restart the series without saying "this never happened". Before the new movie came out I had a huge Star Trek Marathon with ENT, TOS, TNG, some of VOY, some of DS9, and the films (all in storyline order); I also read the STAR TREK: COUNTDOWN comic. When I went to see this new film everything connected. However, When the sequel comes out I can just watch XI and call it a day. I also love the pacing of the battles in the new film.

wow, I'm out of breath. But now at my school It's considered "Cool" to be a Star Trek Fan: something this nerd had never experienced!