Why did the UK theatrical release of First Contact have bonus footage?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Candlelight, May 30, 2013.

1. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Re: Why did the UK theatrical release of First Contact have bonus foot

In a galaxy far, far away ? ;)

2. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

I can beat all you guys--

For years, I was sure "Over the Top" was a "Rocky" sequel.

:)

3. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Ah, that would be very understandable.

Memories can be so real - and so false! I once got flown down to Melbourne to appear as a guest on a live "tonight show" for TV. I went straight from work to the airport, was put up a luxury hotel, taken out to dinner, did the show, hung with the celebrities in their dressing rooms, went with the other celebrity guests to a restaurant for midnight dessert, then back to the hotel, and had a wake-up call booked for about 5am the next morning. I arrived back in Sydney the next morning to start work, as if nothing had happened. The entire trip seemed like an impossible dream, and I even had studio pics taken where the host was holding up a rare collectible book that I'd never seen before. (I didn't actually see those pics for about a year, but I knew they existed.)

I had tried to imprint that 20-year old book cover on my brain, so I'd be able to hunt for it in second hand bookshops. It had no credited author and a misleading title, so it was going to be very hard to find even in a library. That night in the hotel, though, I must have relived all my experiences of that whirlwind trip in my dreams. I was on such a high! I'm not even sure I slept. I just closed my eyes and... hallucinated. With a huge grin on my face.

Eventually, a few months later, I found the book,but was absolutely convinced it was a second book, because the cover was so different. This one had a photo cover, but I new I was looking for one that had drawn images. About a year later, I was finally given a sheet of tiny b/w contact prints of the negatives taken on that big night. And there was the tiny book cover in the pics: looking absolutely nothing like the one in my brain. But exactly like the one I'd found. Mystery solved.

I'm sure you're correct. :rommie:

The Trek story I've never been able to confirm: A friend from Sydney was in Perth the night that ST III premiered in Australia. When she got back to Sydney, she went with us to her second viewing (it was my third). Suddenly she was asking where the little Vulcan girl was. My friend remains convinced that she saw a scene with the credited child actress, Katherine Blum, telling Spock to "Live Long and Prosper" as he was taken to the Fal Tor Pan ceremony! That scene has never popped up in extended editions, nor Youtube clips. I've not even seen a production still (athough the scene may well have been drawn for the comic adaptation?)

How likely is it that the scene was in one stray reel, shown in Perth six months after the US premiere? Or did she see the comic in a shop before the premiere?

My other Trek friend who lived in Perth at the time was no help re confirmation because he'd flown to Sydney to attend the gala Sydney premiere with us!

4. Jon1701

Jon1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm still to this day convinced that the saucer crash scene in Generations had minor differences in the cinema.

I remember the saucer stopping, a beat, then everyone flying into the viewscreen. I don't know why I remember it this way but I remember thinking it was odd at the time to edit the scene in such a fashion.

In all likelihood I am wrong, but a small amount of my brain is convinced that either I saw a different print or the projector skipped... :D

5. Therin of Andor

Perhaps it was a repair to a damaged reel?

6. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

You mean this scene?

7. Jon1701

Jon1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Its altogether possible.

Brain failure is more likely though. :D

8. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

I was really confused when I got the video tape of Generations, because it didn't have the scene with Soran torturing Geordi by stopping his heart. Of course, I'd confused it with the scene in the novelisation, which I'd read to death between the film coming out and the release of the video. There was another scene too - as the Nexus hits Veridian III, the Enterprise crew see the wave hitting them too. Which would have been crazy, because Picard could have just summoned 1000 Enterprise crew members from the Nexus to apprehend Soran. Ah, plot holes.

9. Solariabsg25

Solariabsg25 Commodore Commodore

Yeah they cut out the torture scene, but left in Soran's "His heart just wasn't in it" line. Not sure why they cut it, if they thought it was too violent, maybe they could have just edited it?

10. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes.

11. Therin of Andor

It was the very first scene filmed, IIRC, and LeVar Burton was wearing the new uniform that they ended up rejecting. They never got around to reshooting the scene.

12. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

I saw the torture scene either as a deleted scene or online, but I don't remember Geordie wearing a different uniform. Gotta check when I'm home.

13. Therin of Andor

He has lost the shirt for the torture scene, but it was definitely the abandoned Starfleet top that came off:

http://youtu.be/nEaR1rkhy00 (uniform shirt is on)

http://youtu.be/M3LHFlUbvA8 (shirt gone)

http://youtu.be/kI3U18GnwT8

http://youtu.be/hrDt3Bn88_k

14. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

Wow, you really need a sharp eye to identify this as the alternate uniform, but I think you're right! I've never noticed that before, but given the bad picture quality of this scene that's hardly a surprise.

15. Therin of Andor

There is a still which clearly shows the flap across the chest. And media releases of the day specified that this was Day #1 of shooting.