Holy ....! Doctor Who/Star Trek Crossover coming From IDW!

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by StCoop, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I loved this issue. You are right though, the whole bit on the water planet felt superfluous. Although I bet you it's going to crop up later, they devoted way too much space to it for it to just be a throwaway, unlike say the Doctor's introduction, which was just a way to introduce those characters to us.

2. Turbo

Turbo Changeling Premium Member

I disagree. It felt like the equivalent for Who fans who aren't familiar with TNG (though I would bet that this is a much smaller number of people than TNG fans who aren't familiar with Who); it introduces us to the main characters pretty nicely.

I've really enjoyed the first two issues; the Tiptons really do a good job of capturing everyone's voices. It feels very natural for two franchises which shouldn't fit together well at all. I can't wait to see what happens now that the action is starting.

3. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

You're right, it was a way to introduce Who fans to TNG. However I felt it went on a bit long for it just to be a random throwaway scene. In fact I found the whole operation on the mining planet to be pretty interesting, and wouldn't be adverse to further developing that plot line.

4. Turbo

Turbo Changeling Premium Member

You're right; there may be something more to it, just like I'm assuming that the green crystal from the Egypt storyline is what caused the TARDIS to slip into the Trekverse.

5. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Ooh I hadn't thought of that.

6. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Issue #3 is due in shops next Wednesday, the 18th, along with the second printing of issue #2.

7. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Nice, thanks for the heads up.

8. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

9. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Interesting that the part featuring the Fourth Doctor with the TOS crew have different artwork.

10. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Looks like we're in for a treat with this issue.

11. 28VulcansLater

28VulcansLater Captain Captain

Another excellent issue, best so far. Spock being perplexed by a jelly baby was a nice touch!

12. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Reading this issue today I was seriously geeking out. You'd think merging of two franchises like this would be fanwankery of the worst kind. But somehow it's all working, and I love the hell out of it.

Seriously, I haven't geeked out this much since reading Kick-Ass 2.

13. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, that was a nice scene. This was another good issue, I liked the very different art styles between TNG and TOS.

14. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

issue three was the first one i really enjoyed. mostly for the 4th Doctor/Kirk team up. Kirk using his usual flying kicks and chops on the Cybermen was funny.

15. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Issue 3 was pretty dman cool. The 24th century takes a back seat and serves only as framing for a story in the 23rd century where Captain Kirk and crew team up with the Fourth Doctor. The 23rd century part features different artwork which gives things a sort of 60s/70s feel.

A bit odd the Cybermen in the 23rd century were Tenth Planet Cybermen. I guess there's no reason why they can't be but the cover does feature Revenge of the Cybermen style Cybermen.

Seeing Kirk using his trademark fight moves on the Cybermen like the overheaded double-fist and the flying kick was awesome. Best issue yet.

16. Admiral_Young

Finally. This is the issue that I've been waiting for, art issues aside, this was exceptionally fun! The art they used for the Fourth Doctor and TOS bits was outstandingly awesome. The jelly baby scene with Spock was hilarious. Kirk using his judo moves against the Cybermen was fun! The characterization was really tight in this issue, as it has been in all three issues. I geeked out with the reveal on the last page! Next month should be really interesting indeed.

17. Classic Fan

Classic Fan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I preordered the issues and have read all three so far. Fair enough im late to chat about it all but shit gets in the way.

I think theyre brilliant, the art is simply astounding.

Thay have sucessfully captured the likenesses of all characters involved and even have the current style of humour injected into the story.

I loved the instant-memory-creation-come-flashback in issue 3 as time is obviously being messed with, the art and fourth Doctor humour was briliantly done.

I loved that too. Kirk says hell hold them off and does hi heric captain thing, but it isnt over parodied, its a nice funny reference to Kirks brash trademark scraps.

So far im impressed. :techman:

Edit: Admiral Young. Love the Man of Steel avatar. That poster of Supes from SDCC is amazing. And the trailer attatched to TDKR was awesome, the sonic boom hits you in the chest in the theatre. Heres hoping Snyder can deliver what we all wanted in 2006.

18. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Anyone else still reading this? I just read issue 4. Wasn't so keen on the artwork this time but the Picard characterisation was pretty good.

19. Methos

Methos Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

yeah, it's one i've been reading out of morbid curiosity...

I haven't particularly liked the artwork in any of the issues so far to be honest though... it's one i'm considering dropping shortly unless it picks up

M

20. Admiral_Young

The writing has been good. The art remains terrible in my opinion, last couple of issues have been pretty good. Overall though I would have to say this is not the special even that I thought it was going to be, and for me the art is really taking away from the entire experience of the book. I know others probably disagree and that's fine if they're enjoying it but this is no where near the sheer awesomeness of the Star Trek/Legion crossover still.