Jenna is Going

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Atticus, Aug 17, 2014.

1. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Between the audio "The Kingmaker" and Terrence Dicks' novel Warmonger, Peri spends something like a decade with the fifth Doctor. Umm, no, that makes no damned sense.

2. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

From "The Name of the Doctor" through to "Listen" Moffat's goal has been pretty clear.

Clara is the now most important character in the history of the series; the person without whom the Doctor would have died thousands of times over, would not have his TARDIS (contradicting 'The Doctor's Wife' BTW) and would never even have become a Time Lord in the first place.

3. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

At times I feel that future producers will treat Moffat's era the way Marvel has treated Grant Morrison's X-Men era -- by ignoring it and pretending it didn't happen.

Yes, I know that it's clear from Moffat's writing how he views the importance of the characters to the series. His views are misguided, in my opinion.

4. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

Nonsense. What Clara actually did was to fight back the Great Intelligence's invasion of the Doctor's timeline. Yes, she did save him, but she saved him from the Intelligence's schemes, and if she helped the Doctor pick his TARDIS, we can only deduce that the Intelligence was trying to mislead him right before that, because thwarting the GI's plans was the only reason why she was scattered along the Doctor's timeline in the first place.

Later, she help him soothe his fears when he was just a kid. There is no reason to think that it had any influence on the Doctor becoming a Time Lord.

5. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

That's one way to look at it. However, the way I read it, is that originally the Doctor's life unfolded exactly as we know, and then, The Great Intelligence jumped into his Time Stream, and sbotaged his life, making him choose the wrong TARDIS, making sure he wasn't saved from the "Cliff Hanger", etc, and then Clara jumped in, and put those things back the way they originally played out. So, she didn't influence his original life, she only corrected the changes The Great Intelligence made.

ETA: Oh, if I had read all the way, through, I would have seen that The Mirrorball Man beat me to it :alienblush:

6. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

Clara was there to counteract the Great Intelligence. There is no reason to suppose anything further, especially since the Doctor is fine despite the entire Impossible Girl storyline apparently never having happened now.

7. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nope.

8. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Totally agree on all counts.

I do like Clara, but I didn't like the whole "Impossible Girl" arc all that much. I like how she can shut him down, in her teacher persona, and I like Danny Pink, character and actor.

But I'd rather see a male companion. Not a geek or a jock, no stereotypes. They need to pick someone to match THIS Doctor.

And I wouldn't mind a reference to a "John Smith" type incident in Pompeii.

9. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought Craig (Stormageddon's father) was considered a Companion. He never was in the real TARDIS but was in two episodes.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
  10. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

11. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Plus Patrick Troughton's son! Neat!

Have we had any children of past Doctors appear in the show before, other than Georgia Moffett?

12. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Yes- Troughton's other son, David, (who had been in several Classic Series episodes) was in Midnight.

13. MarsWeeps

MarsWeeps Fleet Captain Premium Member

Not true. If that was the case, she would have better writers behind her. I loved her in the Asylum of the Daleks and The Snowmen but the stories after that were just too average. Things are picking up and I imagine her exit episode will be a decent one. Christmas ones usually are.