So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    I finished reading 'Tunnel in the Sky' for the second time, and recommending to a friend who is pursuing African American Studies. (I told him the lead character is black, something that was rare in the 1950s, when the book was written). There is also a Zulu girl who 'looks like' the main character's sister.

I still give the book about a 3/5 since it doesn't really have a plot, but there are so many ideas that move the story along, especially since the 'strong' characters are all black...

(Sidenote: The audio book - or at least one I've seen on Amazon - for 'Tunnel in the Sky' has Rod Walker, the lead, depicted as a black kid. It's the 1950's cover that has Rod as white, of course).

Another book I'm looking to read is 'Star Trek'....to prepare for the awesomeness that is 'Star Trek Into Darkness.'

2. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Read Blind Lake by Robert Charles Wilson. Started the behemoth known as Pandora's Star by Peter F. Hamilton. Will probably read Spirit Walk #2 concurrently.

3. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

I recently finished Impulse by Steven Gould and TimeRiders: The Doomesday Code by Alex Scarrow.

4. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm reading the TOS novel The Joy Machine by Ted Gunn& Theodore Sturgeon the book storyplot kind of reminds me of the tv episode when the Computer Landru controlled the people and Kirk and crew had to defeat the irrational computer.And have a stagnant society be freethinkers again. To control their own destinies.

5. Bones_McCoy21

Bones_McCoy21 Commander Red Shirt

Crucible: McCoy: Provenance of the Shadows by David R. George III. It's a interesting take on The City on the Edge of Forever and what would've happened is Edith hadn't died and Kirk and Spock never showed up to save McCoy in the first place. It's almost a two time line book with each alternating chapter either showing the "Edith lived" world or the cannon "World we know and acknowledge." It's a fascinating read really good.

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I finished reading the Star Wars novel Outbound Flight by Timothy Zahn yesterday. Here's review from Shelfari:
    [QUOTE = My review] “This is an absolutely outstanding SW novel. I'm a huge fan of Zahn's earlier trilogy, and I really enjoyed the way that he was able to work the back story that he had established pre-prequels into the prequel storyline.”
    [/QUOTE]
    My rating: 5/5

7. ConRefit79

ConRefit79 Captain Captain

Steve Jobs' biography.

8. Reanok

I'm Reading a Ben Bova short story anthology Escape plus. I hope to read Firebird by Jack McDevitt soon.The short stories have been a real interesting variety. I've been waiting for my movie novel Startrek into darkness to arrive in the mail soon. I can't wait to read this book and The Shocks of adversity.

9. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

I just finished Edward of Planet Earth.

10. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

I am reading William Shatner's The Return. It is a pretty easy read with plenty of action and an interesting take on the Borg with their strange partnership with the Romulans. I read this one when it first came out over 15 years ago so it will be fun to revisit this book.

11. S. Gomez

S. Gomez Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think it's been awhile since I posted, so there's a lot I've read. But the big item is probably Doctor Who: Shada by Gareth Roberts, novelizing Douglas Adams' scripts. I enjoyed it quite a bit, and I've moved onto The Wheel of Ice by Stephen Baxter which is also quite good so far.

12. Use of Time

I am about halfway through David Dvorkin's The Trellisane Confrontation. Short book but it has a compelling plot and a cool sidestory about Christine Chapel becoming conjoined with with a strange race that is somewhat shaped like a bowling bowl when they are together acting as a wrecking ball inside the Enterprise.

13. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Just read Vicious by V. E. Schwab, a dark and sardonic take on the creation of a supervillain that's due out from Tor sometime next year. A real page-turner.

(And, no, I'm not the editor on the book.)

14. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm about 30% through Pandora's Star now. It's really killed my reading pace, but the plot is starting to pick up. I nearly quit at the same spot as the first time I started reading it, but glad I didn't. (The 15 page description of futuristic hang gliding)

15. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

That turns out to be much more important later than you'd expect. Hamilton is verbose but he isn't wasteful.

16. Endgame

Endgame Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I am almost 2/3 of the way through "Directive 51" by John Barnes (2010) and I am just about finished reading a Canadian bestseller "Monkey Beach" which is sort of a gothic First Nations woman's coming of age novel by Eden Robinson (2000). I did enjoy the new ST movie last Wednesday when it opened here. Bought "Wounds" (SCE Omnibus #11) for my e-reader and do have the earlier ones but have not started the series yet. Still haven't decided what hardcopy novel to read next.

17. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just finished "Juggler of Worlds". If you want to know what, besides antimatter, causes a General Products hull to disintegrate, then this book's for you! Else, not.

18. Use of Time

Reading Robert Sheckley's The Laertian Gamble. Very odd chapter spacing in this book. Some are only half a page. The story is somewhat enjoyable though.

19. DorkBoy [TM]

DorkBoy [TM] Captain Captain

Just finished Only Superhuman by Christopher Bennett.

I've been hearing about this novel on the TrekBBS here for years so its great to finally see it finished and get to read it.

I never used to care much about superheroes, but having young kids who are into it now, I've started watching things like Justice League Unlimited and really getting an appreciation for the genre. A hard sci-fi novel about super heroes? Even better.

I did read and enjoy The Watchmen back in college. I was looking forward to a similarly adult take on the genre.

And - I was not disappointed. In fact, my only complaint is that there was far too much sex in the book for my tastes. However, it wasn't (for the most part) gratuitous and it did serve the story (and factor in with some of the hard sci-fi concepts at the end).

Overall I really ended up enjoying it, and I would definitely recommend it. (Though with the caveat that its definitely more R rated than what I typically read, especially as these days I read mostly Star Trek.)

Next up: Greg Cox, Weight of Worlds. :)

Last edited: May 24, 2013
  20. Reanok

I started reading Star Trek Into Darkness I can't put this book down great fast paced read well written scenes in this book.Foster certainly draws you in with the first chapter of this novel and doesn't let go.