Picard is Wesley's father (the sperm donor theory)

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Prince of Dorne, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Prince of Dorne

Prince of Dorne Cadet Newbie

The Picard is Wesley's father theory seems to be popular in some circles, but one major objection point is that Picard and Beverly would never have had an affair that could have led to Wesley's conception.

But what if Picard is Wesley's father, but as a sperm/genetic donor. There is no direct evidence for this sperm/genetic donor theory, but it is a way for fans who enjoy the Picard is Wesley's father theory to embrace the idea without having Picard and Beverly betray Jac/ go against their usual character traits.

Here is the idea:

Jack was sterile or otherwise could not father a child. Jack was embarassed about the situation, but preferred to ask Picard rather than to use an anonymous donor since he is a close friend to both him and Beverly. However, Jack is very sensitive about the issue (unusual view for that century but still possible) and makes them both swear to never reveal the truth to Wesley - as far as everyone is concerned, Jack is his father. They agree and guilt over Jack’s death makes Picard even more determined to hold to that vow.

And yet, Picard can’t help feel some special connection to Wesley and responsibility for him, both a genetic connection and a guilt based connection (coming from what happened to Jack). He can never break that vow, but it influences/complicates his behaviour, explaining the actions that normally drive the Picard is Wesley's father theory.

This view of events also better handles some of the other critical points usually held against the Picard is Wesley's father theory: All of this could have been done without Bev knowing about Picard’s true feelings for her (as revealed in Attached): the donation was just done by a close family friend, rather than someone in love with Beverly.

Picard could still be sad about his family’s death in Generations because 1) he just lost his brother and nephew 2) Wesley can never know Picard is his father and will not carry on the family name. The Picard family, in name and traditions, will die after him. (Wesley is also “gone” at that point so it is not clear if he will ever return or in turn be able to reproduce to carry on the Picard name). Picard lacks a true heir.

2. goliwoog

goliwoog Ensign Red Shirt

Funny :). Although I don't support the theory I do not remember artificial insemination being mentioned in any of the episodes (not meaning that it was not), because of that it is unknown to me how this procedure is dealt with in trek universe - it could still exist or it could be completely synthetic and there are no more donors :) that would debunk the theory.

I also doubt that Picard would go for something like that as I think his moral code would prevent him from sneaking in his seed to Beverly :)

And final argument, it's Wesley... I don't dislike the guy but there's no chance that there would be Picard genes in that boy :)

3. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Well it would explain why Picard didn't strangle him and dump him out the nearest airlock.

4. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I read this as hair. It was very funny though I guess you had to be there.

5. danellis

danellis Captain Captain

I had a similar thought

dJE

6. Yevetha

Yevetha Commodore

Not in the book continuity.

7. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Does it? This is the first time I'm reading about it, to be honest. :confused:

8. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

Why do people have this great need to explain why Picard cares about Wesley?

If you've ever had a godchild, an adopted child, or just a friend's kid who calls you "aunt" or "uncle" even though you aren't -- or if you've been any of those kids -- you know there doesn't need to be a biological relationship for an adult and child to feel a special connection.

Besides, I can't believe that, if the backstory on Picard and Wesley were all that dramatic, it wouldn't have been written into an episode or two.

9. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I think TNG's medical science was advanced enough that they would have been able to use a sample of Jack's genetic material to enable him to father a child even if he was sterile. We're already experimenting with it now.

10. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

I read an online article somewhere back in the day that said that Picard couldn't be Wes' father because of the eye colour of those involved. Genetics isn't my thing (or recalling characters' eye colour!) so I had to take the author's word for it.

11. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Basically, Brown eyes are dominant. So, if you have Brown eyes, you can have a child with Blue or Green eyes, providing you and your mate both pass that blue or green recessive gene on.

If either of you passes on the Brown eyed gene, child will have brown eyes

If both parents do not have Brown eyes, they have no brown eyed genes to pass on, so their child can't have brown eyes

Brown eyes = at least 1 brown gene, and other gene could be anything
    Blue eyes = No brown gene, two blues ( or blue and green? I don't remember if Blue or Green is dominant)
    Green Eyes = No brown gene, two greens ( or blue and green? I don't remember if Blue or Green is dominant)

*There are of course, apparently annomalous cases where these rules don't prove themselves out, but, basically, that's the basics of it

12. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well there was that thing where Beverly kept saying "Jean-Luc, there's something I need to tell you" but was always interrupted. I always thought she was going to complete it with "...I love you." :)

As for Wesley's father: Bah. It's Jack Crusher, people, let's get the hell over it already. Lots of people think it has to be Picard because, oh look, Picard's such a strong badass hero type, and Jack, well, he's too "nice". :rolleyes:

(Many of the same people think that Captain Robau is Jim Kirk's father, and for the same reasons. I think it's exactly the same kind of BULLSHIT. :scream: )

Basically, I look at the situation like this:

- Picard doesn't like kids and never wanted to be a father.
    - Surely, in the 24th century, birth control works with a 100% success rate.
    - Nice guys can be fathers too!
    - Why the hell would Picard be a donor anyway? It's not like there's any evidence that Jack was shooting blanks...another thing that would surely be fixable, BTW.

13. Tora Ziyal

^Yeah, I always assumed the end of the sentence was "I love you", too.

Although Picard doesn't like kids, he did become more relaxed around them over the years. I would give some of the credit to Wesley's presence on the bridge.

14. teacake

I must be running in different fandom circles as I never heard any of this! Robau is even weirder!

Maybe it's just the whole subtext thing.. "oh look this character likes that one, they must be in LOVE or if that's not appropriate secretly related to each other.." It's why Luke and Leia could never be just friends :lol:

15. Tora Ziyal

Indeed.

16. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Likewise they could have made Wesley from the genetic material of Jack, Picard and also Beverly.

Which could explain the eye color discrepancy.

17. teacake

I vote for Wesley being his own daddy.

18. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

^That's just icky.

19. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Just be careful where you aim that turkey baster.

20. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

Eugene Wesley Roddenberry was the daddy.