Warner Home Video must die!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by The Borgified Corpse, Dec 5, 2009.

1. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    Warner Home Video is really starting to piss me off. First, they start this trend of releasing 1-disc & 2-disc versions of movies on the same day, which means that the 2-disc versions almost never show up in the used stores anymore. Next, they start chintzing out on the bonus features, even on the 2-disc versions. The 2-disc version of "I Am Legend" doesn't have any bonus documentaries, only a code to see them on a website. And where are all the commentary tracks? Granted, I've heard that Chris Nolan doesn't like to explain his movies, so that might explain "Batman Begins" & "The Dark Knight." However, why didn't Bryan Singer do one for "Superman Returns"? He did commentaries for both "X-Men" movies.

But now, the latest insult-- the extended director's cut of "Terminator Salvation" is only available on Blu-Ray!

Tsk tsk. What kind of a world do we live in?

2. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

I think some of it has to do with a lot of people not caring about the extras. Since most of the hardcore fans have gone to BluRay, they focus on it because they usually enjoy the extras. I saw one thing where Warner was considering dropping all extras for DVDs and only putting them on BluRay. Since it costs them to make it for the disc, they don't want to waste the money on something people never watch.

That said, BluRay rules and is worth the upgrade.

3. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Makes sense to me. I never watch extras.

4. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

I've almost never bothered to buy a 2-disc edition when a 1-disc edition was also available. Bonus features are nice, but I'm not going to pay for the extra disc (if I have the choice).

5. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

I love extras, especially a decent documentary.

6. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I only buy DVD's with commentary on it. If there is a good behind the scenes documentary on it then I will watch it. I was disappointed with Terminator Salvation and Angels and Demons for lack of commentary. Even if the principals are not available you could at least get a producer or someone like that to do one.

7. The Borgified Corpse

^Agreed. Although, I will admit that it's kinda hard to find good documentaries on new releases. The making-of docs are much better on releases of older titles. They need time & perspective to understand what the movie truly means in the greater history of cinema. It's especially refreshing when the docs/commentaries are brutally honest about movies that not everyone likes (SEE Batman & Robin, Highlander 2, Shanghai Surprise, Star Trek V, Star Trek: Generations).

Still, if I'm willing to pay for a bonus disc, shouldn't I get more bang for my buck? And what about when the bonus feature in question is not a documentary or a commentary but an alternate cut of the film? For gods' sake, usually when there's a conflict between 2 cuts of a film, the more common one on DVD is the extended cut (SEE Star Trek VI, Underworld, The Chronicles of Riddick, Daredevil, any of the Highlander movies).

8. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

It irked me that even the rental blu-ray isn't the director's cut.

9. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I hope it's not a continuing trend to do extras and commentary tracks for blu-ray only. I really don't see the need to convert. I already have a ton of DVDs and I don't need to be bothered with blu-ray.

10. The Borgified Corpse

^I certainly don't need to be bothered buying an HDTV to make any sort of hi-def format worthwhile. And my mother's eyesight is so poor she wouldn't be able to see the difference anyway.

11. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

The Rated R cut of Terminator Salvation is ONLY on Blu-Ray?! What the #$%# is that!!! :mad:

12. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

The only extras I care for are deleted scenes. I've never once watched/listened to any commentary, except by accident while adjusting the audio settings.

13. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

Same here. THe extended LOTR DVDs have set the standard as far as I'm concerned. They have a complete set of commentaries but also a through set of documentaries about the history of Tolkien and other about making the films. That's why I love DVDs so much - you get a great picture and sound but also plenty of extra information. Of course some are much better than others.

Gotta hate that trend. It's not worth the jump in expense for me. Blu-Ray players are still a significant factor more expensive as are the discs themselves. While a the quality of the Blu-Ray feature is still higher, it's not enough better than my upconverting player to merit that extra expense.

14. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Didn't he not do one because of the elaborate 3 hour documentary which he just felt like he would be repeating himself?

15. Bad Bishop

Bad Bishop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I didn't know this. The companies are gently pushing us in the Blu-ray direction. I'm just glad that the Director's Cut of Watchmen wasn't Blu-ray only.

16. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

The extended director's cut DVD of Terminator Salvation is a Target Stores exclusive. It is $22.00 and supplies are limited.

Only three minutes of footage are added to the film. The first is the attack by the T-1 while the Resistance attacks the Skynet VLA. The second is Moon Bloodgood's topless scene is restored.

17. StarshipDefiant

StarshipDefiant Captain Captain

Odd, I thought the director's cut was a little more wider then that, that's weak, Bad enough to do it only on BluRay, but to only make it a target exclusive? With limited supplies? Bah.

18. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

It's even more annoying in the UK, where we're starting to see a lot of cases where the censored-by-the-BBFC version is on DVD, but the uncut version is on Blu-Ray (c.f The Hangover)

19. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

BASTARDS. I don't care about the first scene, but the second shouldn't be blu-ray exclusive! :scream: :p

20. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Google, Emh, Google. ;) :p

I don't know why Nolan hasn't recorded any recent commentary tracks, come to think of it. There's a commentary track on Memento and Insomnia, and I believe Following has one, too.