How IRON MAN 2 ruined Jon Favreau's relationship with Marvel

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JacksonArcher, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah I was disappointed too but as Anwar pointed out she's a spy and would have learned to speak fluently accented American English. Also as Jackson Archer pointed out to me in a discussion we had about this subject...there was already plenty of Russian with the Valko character.

2. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

How bout when she's revealed as a spy she then reveals her true accent ;)

3. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't think the Avengers subplot ruined the film. I think the story overall was blah. They didn't follow through on Tony's alcoholism which would've made a more compelling story than the blood poisoning. Even though I enjoyed seeing War Machine, I think they should've followed the comics a little bit more faithfully and had Rhodes take over as IM and then have a recovered Tony have to fight him to reclaim the title.

Also, I think they didn't know what to do with the villains. Vanko sat around for most of the movie tinkering and the decision to make Hammer an ineffectual Stark wannabe made him more of a joke than a threat. Also, the Armor Wars stuff I would've held back until the third film.

The movie wound up being just okay for me, but it could've been so much more. It was a disappointment in comparison to the first IM film. Some of the Avengers stuff actually kept my attention in IM2 more than if it hadn't been included.

4. Admiral_Young

Why do people keep saying they didn't follow up on Tony's alcoholism? Tony plastered himself because he thought he was dying and didn't give a rats arse about anything anymore. He fought War Machine in the Iron Man armor DRUNK at his own birthday party endangering his own guests. Was this a major plot of the movie? No. It was a subplot and a continuation of a conversation on the plane between Tony and Rhodes from the first film. Favs has given an interview or two I believe touching on the Demon in the Bottle storyline from the comics and explaining that he's included elements of it in the films but not used it as an entire plot in the film. One could argue that the main villain in the film was Tony himself. Blinded and arrogant by his new found spotlight as Iron Man, dealing with dying and drowning himself with boos. Valko and Hammer weren't executed well enough I don't think. Hammer as I stated in the original Iron Man 2 discussion thread seemed to be a carbon copy of Tony but flawed. He needed to be less jokey and a little more sinister.

5. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

I don't care if it's his nickname, I'm going to ban the next person who types "Favs."

6. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh, c'mon Tims, don't be so harsh. I think Favs is a great nickname.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2010
  7. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Farewell, JacksonArcher, you'll be missed... until you create your own board TrekBBSBegins.com. :)

8. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Don't ban Jackson. I like his commentary and opinion...ok maybe on Thor early released stuff we are a bit apart at the moment but he's an alright poster. :cool:

9. JacksonArcher

Blame Favs for my banishment. :(

10. Aragorn

Uh oh. What's a double ban like?

11. Admiral_Young

Blame Kevin Smith for that nickname because that's where I first discovered it and liked it so I've carried on. Sorry if it's annoying lol.

12. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

A reinstatement. Don't you know that two negatives make a positive?

13. Corwwyn

Corwwyn Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm still positive about it. My only real peeve about it is that horrid acdc endmuzak. They really should have stuck with Sabbath.:techman:

14. JacksonArcher

i hatz tha endmuzak 2

15. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

I love how another board has an argument about whether to blame Marvel or not.

-Don't blame CEO of Marvel Avi Arad for pushing Venom

-Don't blame Marvel for making IM2 a giant "Avenger's" advertisement

16. Admiral_Young

How about writing Venom correctly instead of the bizarre mesh we got of 616/Ultimate Venom. We essentially got an altered version of Ultimate Eddie mixed with the personality of 616 Eddie. It's like they couldn't make up their minds even which version to use in the movie.

17. Aragorn

I liked the movie but was extremely underwhelmed by it. Sort of like how I felt about Spider-Man 3, although IM2 is better, which isn't saying much.

18. Admiral_Young

Iron Man 2 imo suffers from many the same problems that Spider-Man 3 did except that Iron Man 2 managed to actually entertain it's audience.

19. RonSexton

RonSexton Ensign

I agree, IM2 was pretty blah and overall a dud compared to IM1. :rofl:

20. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Venom huffs dong anyway, so it's a moot point.