Slightly pathetic that theres never been LGBT characters in ST

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by junkdata, Jul 11, 2014.

1. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Hello.

:)

2. ReedEnterprise

ReedEnterprise Captain Captain

To be honest, I didn't read the whole thread......but Malcolm was originally meant to be gay on ENT but they changed their minds and made him straight.

What about the kiss between Dax and a spouse that was female from a previous host?

3. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Dax: covered upthread.

4. T'Girl

The producers supposedly told Dominic Keating that they intended to make the character gay. Later as the story goes they told him that they had been playing a joke on him, and there had never been any real thought to make Malcolm gay.

Now, what the truth is ...

5. Alex1939

Alex1939 Captain Captain

One of the better parts of Star Trek is that it hasn't had LGBT characters. Not everything has to conform. Star Trek is allowed to be different.

6. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Malcolm will always be gay to me :adore:

Or, technically, fluid. But the only real foreplay we ever saw that man engage in was with Hayes.

7. teacake

Yeah it is soooooo different :rolleyes:

8. Alex1939

Alex1939 Captain Captain

Given the prevalence of LGBT characters and stories in TV shows and movies today, I would say the Star Trek is practically a minority in not having a LGBT character.

Of course this entirely discounts Dax so the whole premise is bunk.

9. teacake

Just replace "non-white" with your praise of Star Trek not having LGBT characters and see how it runs. That is how offensive you sound.

10. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

Malcolm could have been bi.

11. teacake

Yeah well that's what I meant by "fluid".

Really though his true love is the weapons!

12. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Not pinning down Malcolm's sexuality just adds to the mystery of the character. I always thought him the most interesting person aboard, in part due to Keating's portrayal, and that we know a lot less about Reed than we think.

13. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Since the last Trek TV show went off the air in nearly a decade ago, how can it be part of any "trend" on TV?

14. T'Girl

As foreplay goes teacake, it was kind of S&M.

Now that would have truly been different.

If Naked Now had taken place after Tasha's death, and Data's first sexual hook up was with Worf.

15. teacake

T'Girl that is truly the least sexy pairing I have ever heard :lol:

And Melakon, so agree on Reed.

16. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

There's always been a sense that Malcolm is internally conflicted. He's carrying the weight of tradition within his family, and the stigma of pursuing a different career. Everything must be done properly, whether its rules and regulations, or writing famous last words in personal logs and letters. As much as I disliked Section 31 being inserted into the show, establishing its presence before the Federation ever existed, it added another internal conflict for Malcolm to deal with. Personally, I don't need to know every little detail of a character's life to appreciate that character.

But let's say Malcolm had been revealed as gay. What does that do to the character's internal conflict? Is it the only thing he's not conflicted about? Is the only time he's comfortable with anybody is when he's bedding them? I wouldn't believe that with even a straight character. Would we want Malcolm to also be conflicted about being gay?

17. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

I'm not saying that's how I'd want Malcolm characterized, not as a hypothetical gay in what should be a more enlightened time, but I could see a gay character in a less enlightened time be exactly as you describe Melakon. Hypothetically being gay the only thing he wasn't conflicted about, or only comfortable with someone "when he's bedding them". Those qualities could easily belong to any character regardless of orientation.

18. T'Girl

Instead of S31, the producers could have made it MI6 or some other organization.

MI6 would have worked for me.

19. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

I don't object to S31 being in ENT. I thought it was an exciting story, and it having roots prior to the formalization of the Federation worked for me in the story.