Devil - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Agent Richard07, Sep 17, 2010.

?

Grade the movie...

1. Excellent

20.0%
  2. Above Average

60.0%
  3. Average

20.0%
  4. Below Average

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Poor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Yeoman Randi

Yeoman Randi Vice Admiral Admiral

Saw it last night and i actually loved it.
    Hope to read this entire thread tomorrow when i have more time so that i can participate in the discussion somewhat intelligently. In the meantime though, i did want to vote. I loved "Devil".

2. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Weird. I got a hankering to watch Praying With Anger, Shyamalan's first film, and it's not on Netflix.:confused:

It actually sounds like potentially his most interesting film, since 1)it's a more personal piece, about going back to India, and from before his ego metastasized, and 2)not entirely about supernatural bullshit. On the other hand, it could just be straight-up dull. Maybe I've dodged a bullet here.

And hell, I've seen Mr. and Mrs. Iyer. "Religious high-caste Tamils have bizarre, sometimes horrific prejudices that make no sense to a white American" is not a new theme to me. Good movie, though, except for when it shoots day for night with all the technical savvy of a Stelvio Massi. Note to aspiring filmmakers: maybe it's not such a good idea to use a blue filter to simulate night, when the centerpiece of your shot is a flaming barricade.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  3. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Devil brought in $12.6 million this weekend.

4. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Showing that there's at least 1.2m stupid people in this country.

5. pookha

pookha Admiral Admiral

with signs i had wondered if the water was some part sulpher water/..

6. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not only in America...

7. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

I saw it this afternoon. Yeah, kinda like Praetor Shinzon said, it's not astouningly amazing, but its hardly terrible.
    (And if anyone does watch this and say its terrible, thats more a sign that you really haven't seen enough bad films to know what one is)

It was something to do on a rainy afternoon, I enjoyed it enough for what it was and all it was intended to be.
    The reveal near the end made me jump.

Trekker 4747, if you don't want to see this film and have no interest in then that's fine, but then why are you still posting in here, and also don't insult me and everyone else for going to see it as I found that post offensive. And bashing a film you haven't even seen always makes one look a dick IMO

8. JoeD80

JoeD80 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

M. Night was one of the producers on the movie.

This is the same feel I got from it. I half-expected Rod Serling to appear at the end and say
    "Submitted for your consideration, a man brought back by fate to the victim of his recklessness. Even when you're sorry, you can never escape the past in The Twilight Zone."
    The movie held my attention for the full time pretty well. Lots of good psychological breakdown moments, some funny moments, pretty tense throughout. Characters were done pretty well, with only a couple of moments where you would think a character would be smarter. Good entertainment; rated it Above Average.

9. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

^ One thing to your last point, I thought they would have figured out the "use your cell phone as a light" thing earlier