"Amazing Spider-man 2" discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Samurai8472, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, David Yates springs to mind, since he did the last 4 Harry Potter movies -- although technically those were only 3 distinct stories.

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

It was four. I couldn't remember if it was three or four. I think the guy who directed the last few Twilight movies might have done four too, but I'm not sure.
    That's why I made sure to say very few, not none, I knew there had to be at least a couple that people could come up with.
    I can understand though, spending years working on one movie after another in the same series can probably burn you out.

3. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

It probably depends on how well the Sinister Six and Venom spin-offs do.

4. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I know they've stated they want to do those, but I'll believe them like I will when the Superman Returns and GL announced sequels were mentioned.

I'm frankly not positive TASM2 is going to have domestic legs. Likely to open fairly well but I'm not any more optimistic about this than I was the first one, less so actually.

5. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

They say this is the final trailer. I hope so. There have been more trailers and clips for this film than anything I can remember.

At least we all got to see how stupid Rhino looks. And Goblin. And Electro. Dynamo from Running Man looked cooler than him

[yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DlM2CWNTQ84[/yt]

6. Christopher

Few things are as stupid-looking as Electro's original costume design in the comics. As I had Spidey characterize his mask in my novel Drowned in Thunder: "I'm a happy starfish, but I'm not so good with scissors."

7. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

The thing about Electro is that, really, this guy should be a massive threat in Marvel with his powers. But for whatever reason he's portrayed as this D-List buffoon.

It was lampshaded once when Loki took over Electro's body and proceeded to kick all kinds of @$$ while mentioning how Electro is stupid enough to waste his power robbing banks.

8. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

You can't be an A-list villain when you are a D-list buffoon. There was something similar done with Iceman, wasn't there? (Not that I think Iceman is a buffoon) Where someone else had to show him how powerful he really was?

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
  9. Christopher

That comes up in my novel too -- something happens to Electro to make him a more potent threat than he usually is. He has the same powers he always has, but starts applying them in ways that wouldn't normally have occurred to him.

10. Zaku

Zaku Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think Graviton is the worst offender....
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graviton_(comics)

11. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

The Spider-man novel I have from 2004 really tried to make his powers really deadly

He could vaporize all of the water around New York

His electric blasts would give off massive amounts of heat.

He could manipulate the electric signals in people to give them seizure

Wreck havok on the electrical systems of SHIELD floating bath tubs.

Spider-man keeps saying that at one time a bucket of water would do the trick but he's had a power up

12. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

It was something the 90s FOX cartoon showed, their Electro was a world-class threat who took out SHIELD and nearly took over the world (though to be fair I'm sure energy absorbers or Psychics like Xavier would've stopped him easily) and it took being sucked into some extradimensional vortex to stop him.

13. Captain Craig

I think Acts of Vengeance was the one time I recall Graviton being used to a closer approximation of his actual potential.

Yeah, when Loki took over Electro as well. Electro is like having Ronnie Raymond as Firestorm. You need the Professor to even remotely be able to allow the character to achieve what he can. Firestorm in theory could be a top 5 power class but he's not.

Electro is kinda the same thing. I still hate the black rubber suit and blue skin though.
    I get the electric zap mask is silly. It was a product of it's day but something a bit more of an homage could've been done.

14. Christopher

Although their version of Electro wasn't Max Dillon, he was the Red Skull's son.

15. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Vice Admiral Admiral

He was a serious threat in the Avengers cartoon

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozDsVernXF8&hl[/YT]

16. Christopher

^Yeah -- after seeing Graviton portrayed as a Magneto-level archvillain in A:EMH, I was surprised to learn what a minor character he was in the comics.

17. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

18. Captain Craig

Looks like he belongs in a reboot of the horror franchise Leprechaun to me.

19. NX74205

NX74205 Captain Captain

I will go see this movie, but whether it will be one of the better Marvel movies that we see this summer, I'm not sure. I just hope that the trailers have not shown too much of the movie already.

20. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

To be fair, after four movies I'm not really sure what else they COULD do to fresh up the franchise and make it seem cool again. Even if there are countless numbers of great stories to pull from in the comics, the novelty of actually watching the character swing through a city and fight bad guys on the big screen has pretty much worn off by now.

Hell, in my mind the fact this movie even looks moderately fun and entertaining is kind of a miracle.