offical DUNGEONS & DRAGONS fiction disscousions & comments :

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by timothy, Mar 13, 2011.

1. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I am getting back into d&d fiction been gone for ten years I've noticed on my nook that the forgotten realms are on there an I love the drow race . And I've noticed that dragonlance is also appearing on the nook and I love the
    kender and elves of kryn . And I was wondering if there are any other fans out there.

2. timothy

okay no fans of D&D fiction what so ever . can somebody remove this thread for me ?

3. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

Just because there weren't any replies doesn't mean no one's interested. I can only speak for myself, but I've been working on a D & D story for some time now (the operative word being "working" :lol:) I actually posted it in the fiction section once, but it's been my experience that non Trek stories don't get as much attention in the forum. I rarely go in, so I could be mistaken on that, but it just seems like there are very few. * shrugs *

But if you'd be interested in what little I've written, drop me a PM. I keep meaning to get back to it, but RL tends to get in my way. :p

4. timothy

well things are coming along in e form for d&d there are about 40 forgotten realm book and about 10 dragonlance e books and building strong also if there are fans of ebberon there books are in here as well and there are a couple D&D solo novels as well as a darksun book .

5. Bishop76

Bishop76 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Haven't ever read an Eberron book. They any good?

I tend to think most of the Forgotten Realms (particularly the Drizzt books) are overrated. Big fan of the Weis/Hickman Dragonlance books and a few of the Ravenloft books. Dark Sun not so much...

6. timothy

my favorite series are the dragonlance novels . I have'nt tried ebberon they tend to mix magic and steam tech not my thing . If I was going to do magic and tech which I have done I would still be reading shadowrun . Now the darksun books are fun read. espescially if you psyonics.

7. Bishop76

I love the world of Dark Sun and I have some of my fondest 2nd edition memories playing in the arena, but the fiction never really grabbed me. I loved the Eberron setting so I may have to check them out anyway.

The Shadowrun books are a bit of a mixed bag too, but not too bad when Stackpole writes them.

8. timothy

stackpole is one of my favorite writters especially when he did shadowrun and battletech + star wars x wing novels were some of my favorites . I just wished
    he would've done some dragonlance or forgotten realms . also I like douglas niles.

9. Bishop76

Dragonlance really didn't need much of a story beyond what Weis and Hickman wrote really. No one else has ever captured any of their quality except for maybe Knaack's Legend of Huma.

Stackpole's Battletech was good too.

10. Unicron

^ When you say Eberron, do you mean novels or the general books associated with the campaign setting? I find the setting rather interesting, but I generally never have time to read the novels. It's a different take from how Forgotten Realms is set up.

11. Bishop76

I personally love the setting and campaign books, just haven't read any of the novels.

12. Theonethatis

Theonethatis Commander Red Shirt

I really liked Temple of elemental evil. The Moonshae books, Curse of the Azure bonds. Any Dragonlance written by Weis and Hickman. The Drizzt books and The cleric quintet.

13. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Gord. :techman: Despite the fact that it stopped being "official Dungeons & Dragons fiction" after the second book.

14. timothy

anyone read the greyhawk books ?

15. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Is this thing on?

16. Unicron

I think they did a nice job with the campaign setting myself. They added some unique elements and made some aspects seem a bit more "modern" while also keeping a lot of the basic D & D functionality intact.

17. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I liked the first three or so Drizzt arcs, but the quality goes down from there. Of R.A. Salvatore's D&D work, I actually prefer the Cleric Quintet to the Drizzt books.

I've read others, but nothing that really stands out to me at the moment. I will be buying KRAD's upcoming Dark Sun book.

18. Bishop76

Ooh, I didnt know he was doing a DS book - I think he's actually a really solid choice for that world - I'll give his book a go.

Eberron really did feel like a fresh D&D realm after a lot if the same old same old for so long. I wish they would have had more time to explore it before 4E came along...

19. Winterwind

Winterwind Commodore Commodore

I stopped playing DnD when they came out with 3E.

I used to enjoy the fiction though. The Realms, not so much. And Drizzt's stories, well, Salvatore should have stopped them a long time back. It just went on and on. I always wanted Artemis to cut that self-righteous drow down.

I enjoyed Krynn more, but just Weiss and Hickman's work. I didn't care for the other stories much, especially the prequel stories for the companions.

Ravenloft... well, I recently read "I, Strahd" to my girlfriend. She liked it (surprised me) and I wound up reading the sequel with Azalin to her, as well as the one with Jander (Vampire of the Mists?).

Never much cared for Dark Sun and my only real exposure to Planescape was through the crpg, Torment.

My DnD days are long in my past but I still have most of the novels buried in box in the basement (as well as old character sheets and old 2E monster manuals and the first two Ravenloft boxsets). I get a tad nostalgic sometimes, and wish I could find a PnP group but it's largely just fond memories for me.

20. JWD75

JWD75 Commander Red Shirt

I enjoyed the Moonshea books and the Dragonlance books by Weiss and Hickman. The tormented wizard Raistlin from the Dragonlance books is one of my favorite fictional characters.