CGI Bruce Lee sells whisky

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by HaplessCrewman, Jul 12, 2013.

1. HaplessCrewman

HaplessCrewman Commander Red Shirt

2. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I thought they did a great job with it.

Fans are fans. They're gonna complain no matter what you do.

3. Robert D. Robot

Robert D. Robot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

According to the article, Lee was once quoted as saying “No, I don’t drink coffee or alcohol… They’re bad for my body.”

To create and distribute a cgi recreation of a dead person to promote something that the person was personally against during his lifetime is intellectually dishonest and disrespectful (I feel) to that person. It certainly is ironic that the commercial promotes the concept of taking the "most honest path" while it is completely DIShonest in presenting Lee as having a view of alcohol completely opposite to what the actor believed. You don't have to be a fan (and I would not call myself a 'fan' of Bruce Lee) to see that this is an insult to Lee's memory.

Next up: BP will make a commercial with a digital representation of Jacques-Yves Cousteau praising that oil company's 'fine work' in the Gulf of Mexico....

Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
  4. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If it weren't for the internet we probably would never have seen the ad.

He's dead. He doesn't care. If this is what his family wants to do with his likeness, good for them.

I don't care either way.

But I betcha Brandon's next. ;)

5. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's my issue with it, is the misrepresentation of someone's personal view, and then profiting off of that view. I see it less as a "tribute," and more as a way to make money, where all parties are concerned.

6. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Pretty crappy CGI.

7. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't remember Bruce sounding like that. Would've been a better ad for Perrier, Evian, Aquafina or the like. Bet you all living actors have added instructions about CG constructions to their wills and contracts.

8. Robert D. Robot

Robert D. Robot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I believe that most people would disagree with this philosophy and suspect that there are people who feel that offspring should respect their elders, especially when that elder is a parent who is deceased. I would think that this respect would include being protective/considerate in a situation where the image/representation of a parent is manipulated/portrayed in such a way that gives an impression that the person supported a practice or idea that actually violates the philosophy that the parent held.

I am not a big fan of Charleton Heston or his views on guns, but I would posting these same ideas if a liberal daughter of his OK'd the use of his cgi image in a commercial promoting increased gun regulation. It would not be true to his beliefs and would be disrespectful to him and his memory, especially if it were done simply to make some money off a dead relative.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
  9. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

agreed.

10. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Ugh, that's ugly. They could as well have digital Ghandi advertising guns, or, as someone already said, digital Heston promoting gun control.

11. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

CGI Bruce Lee is only shown sharing his philosophy and never shown drinking himself, the ad is respectful of him (doesn't have him doing anything goofy, offensive, or insulting in the ad), and his daughter approved it, so that's good enough for me.

12. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

A crummy CGI head spruiking a product the real guy would never have touched, using a language that he didn't speak...?

Wow.

13. Locutus of Bored

It's a Chinese ad. If he spoke English it would be pretty useless in selling its product to a mass audience.

14. JarodRussell

If Lee was still alive and now going to sue (let's even say he sues his daughter because she approved it without asking, those kind of things happen for real), would you make the same arguments to defend it?

15. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Every February we have President Day sales in the US. No one worries about whether or not George Washington or Abe Lincoln would have endorsed any of the myriad products in those ads.

If his family approved it it's a nonissue.

16. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Maybe, but the CG still sucks ass. ;)

17. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

i think he borrowed cgi jeff bridges derp-mouth from tron legacy

certainly not as good as this entry in the "dead guy in an advert" category:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n09mLD9JUA[/yt]

and this was from the 90's

18. Locutus of Bored

Jarod, you don't like it when I insult the intelligence of your arguments, so why do you feel the need to ask me questions like this that beg for such a response? Why not just ask someone else? Furthermore, what does that have to do with my response in the post above? Do you deny that it's a Chinese commercial which is why it's in Chinese? That seems like an odd point to take your stand on. It's not even part of my defense of the commercial, it's just a statement of fact.

If Bruce Lee were alive and threatening to sue, that would mean he didn't approve of the ad or the use of his likeness, so obviously that would be wrong and I would not be arguing in favor of it. But since he's not alive, it's a moot point. We have no idea how he would react. It's all supposition based on the fact that he didn't drink for health reasons, which doesn't necessarily mean he's a prohibitionist who hates the very thought of alcohol entirely. Surely you don't think every celebrity who does a commercial is a loyal user of the product or service they're selling?

His very much living daughter however did approve and consult on the ad, and that's the person who has the rights to make those decisions now, so that's whose opinion I respect most. Why is it any of my business to tell her she's wrong about her own father? It's not like they have him doing some racist Charlie Chan routine which would be far enough over the top to make me question her judgment. He's just discussing personal life lessons, not getting drunk. It's a typical sophisticated liquor ad, with a bunch of esoteric commentary barely related to the product.

19. JarodRussell

LOL, you really cannot stop doing it. I asked you because you are the one in the thread who is fine with it, while all the others are not fine with it. So who else should I have been asking? Carcazoid already made the point that he doesn't care either way, so I didn't bother going into details.

Well, usually they are alive and can decide what they promote.

That is the point, no one can be sure, not even her. Which is all fine and well UNTIL someone profits from it. They are using his image to make money, and he can't give consent anymore. Mr. Adventure's point about adding CG clauses into wills is a very good one.

This digital recreation thing will get more and more common, there should be proper regulations to protect your own likeness from being exploited for profit even after your death. There are instances where it's perfectly fine. Using Marlon Brando's footage he already shot for Superman II in Superman Returns for example, because he already agreed that the footage was going to be used by the studio in some form or another. All they did was digitally creating new camera angles. What's not right is this ad, and it doesn't matter that a relative agreed to it.

In principle, it's the same issue as with organ donations. If you don't have a will, someone else decides what happens to you. And I personally think if there is no will, then by default nobody should be able to make that decision.

But yeah, if you don't agree with it, then just go ahead and call it stupid again.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2013
  20. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Well, I don't get the impression that he was morally opposed to alcohol. He just thought it was unhealthy. Since he needed to stay healthy, it was bad for him to drink alcohol (or coffee). I'm not sure he'd have a problem with CGI Bruce Lee drinking, though, since CGI Bruce Lee doesn't need to stay in shape.