What would the effects of ketracel white...

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Vandervecken, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

The Dominion told them how to, I'd imagine.

2. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Why would the Dominion outsource something that crucial? Why not just take over the Son'a culture and put their industries to this key use under complete Dominion control? If the Son'a are but the offshoot of the Ba'ku colony, their military strength probably doesn't stem from numbers, but rather from their silver-bullet superships; overrunning them ought to be a breeze for the Alpha forces of the Dominion.

The original concept was that there would be specialized member cultures to the Dominion: the Tosk and the Hunters would have been among those, with tasks that never made it to the aired episodes. Would there be a culture specializing on manufacturing KW? Might the forefathers of the Ba'ku, that is, the foregrandfathers of the Son'a, have been of this culture? Perhaps their star system was "dying because of technology" in the sense that the Dominion was going to crush them for their attempt at capitalizing on their KW skills!

Timo Saloniemi

3. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Because a "small" amount of Dominion resources are in the Alpha Quadrant. Why forcibly take on yet another power when they are already willing to help? The quote from INS says nothing about the Son'a taking over all White responsibilities, only that they are known to produce it. For all we know, the Dominion had several different sources, which would make sense for something as important as White. They may not know the phrase about eggs in baskets, but I bet they think the same way.

4. Horizons96

Horizons96 nel blu Red Shirt

Absolutely!

5. Kobayshi Maru

Kobayshi Maru Commodore Commodore

I think it only makes sense for the Dominion to diversify its sources of KW given the repeated attacks by the federation of its known facilities where the KW is synthesized.

6. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

The Federation also could not harvest the particles without the Sona.

The mighty USS Enterprise had to resort to a trick in order to defeat two Sona starships in battle.

In some ways the Sona were more advanced than the Federation.

The Sona could have reverse engineered the White after (somehow) obtaining a sample.

According to Riker, the Sona produced vast quantities of the White, it doesn't sound like the Federation destroyed their facilities. Why would the Federation leave the Sona production facilities unharmed?

If the Sona were not providing the White to the Dominion, then their White facilities would be of lesser importance.

:)

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  7. Kobayshi Maru

Personally, I find that Insurrection is kind of a low point, if not the lowest point of all the movies. I haven't made up my mind yet but it stays close to the bottom in any of my lists. So I tend not to think of anything that's said in that movie as significant.

For example I don't like it much when the so called villains in a movie make much more sense than the so called good guys.

Come on! There's a resource that could help billions of people live better and longer lives and you're going to deny it to them so that a group of six hundred people could live forever because they were lucky enough to stumble upon it by chance? I've seen Picard forcefully displace groups of people without a second thought with much less of an incentive. And that's only a minor aspect of the movie, there're much more of these where that came from.

8. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

It's still odd either way. If the Son'a produce White, why would the Federation say, "Hey man, that better not be for the Dominion! Oh, it's not? Okay, cool. We'll take your word for it. Keep on truckin'."

9. Kobayshi Maru

Or they could surreptitiously introduce a deadly disease in the White. But hey, that would win the war too quickly and with casualties only on the Jemhadar side, so let's forget about it!!!:rolleyes:

It reminds me of, when they were almost entirely eliminated by the houdinies, they were still debating about the morality of using them against the very people who designed them!!! I mean, let's forget that these mines have killed two third of our people and not use them because that would be unfair...:rolleyes:

10. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Debating morality is so passé.

11. Kobayshi Maru

There were no children among the Jemhadar and that's why Sisko was so hesitant to use the mines against them...

12. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Yeah, except Sisko wasn't against it (it was his idea), Dax was. And even then, she was only ruminating rather than arguing.

13. Kobayshi Maru

Yeah, you're right.

Still, in Rocks and shoals he was a great deal more worried about the Jehmadar than he was about the kids that he ordered worf to bombard with poison. I guess the kids didn't deserve his thoughts.

14. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

One thread about that isn't enough for you?

15. T'Girl

While it probably not a part of the Sona's motivation, it's the Sona that's going to be helping the people of the Federation, not the Baku, and certainly not Picard.

The reason I like Insurrection is it's a complex story, yes there's problems with the execution, but TPTB (perhaps unintentionally) gave the audience the choice of who to root for. What other Star Trek movie does this?

Just that, they're not supplying the enemy. It's not a priority, it's a problem for later.

And they're not taking the Sona word for it, they're taking the word of their own intelligence.

16. Kobayshi Maru

Is that your trump card whenever you're running out of arguments?

17. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

So unless I misunderstand, the theory is that the Federation allows a drug that their enemy replies upon to function to be manufactured because the Son'a aren't specifically shipping it to the Dominion? Who is it that's out there making sure it doesn't reach the enemy?

Rather than surreptitiously supplying the enemy, the Son'a are simply intergalactic drug dealers?

It seems like a pretty big leap just to justify one line in a movie that has nothing to do with the Dominion. It's seemingly just a weird shout-out to DS9.

I don't recall ever saying that before. What argument are we talking about? You brought up the houdini thing, not me.

18. Kobayshi Maru

It's kinda strange that the Son'a who are obviously setup to be the bad guys are on the side that wants billions to benefit from a resource selfishly monopolized by six hundred people. It makes you wonder what the hell is going on inside those empty writer's heads of theirs.

19. T'Girl

^ Like I said, complex.

20. Kobayshi Maru

Everything is when put under a microscope.