How's the "Popcorn" button on your microwave?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Trekker4747, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I remember back in the day when to pop popcorn in the microwave you'd set it for some ridiculous time and sit there and listen as the popcorn popped and began to slow down to some vague point where the popcorn was popping slowly so you'd stop it and then either find it all popped but burned or not burned but still some unpopped kernels in the bag.

Now-days almost every microwave has a "popcorn" button that you set to the size of the bag, I think some microwaves have a sensor in them.

So how does your microwave perform when it comes to the popcorn button/setting? Mine does... okay. I've the type where you tell it the bag size and it goes on a pre-set time. Usually I can easily leave the microwave and popcorn to its own devices without baysitting it and I get a mostly popped unburned bag. But, dammit, I'm still paying for those unpopped kernels and I want those popcorns!

2. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

I wouldn't know as I have never used it. I don't really like popcorn much. I don't think I have popped corn since my children were young (so it is probably more than 15 years ago).

3. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Mine doesn't have any variable time depending on the size of the bag. I just hit the popcorn button and then the start button (which automatically adds another thirty seconds each time you hit it) because otherwise too many kernels go unpopped.

4. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

I've never made popcorn in the microwave before, only on the stove.

5. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

6. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

crappy, that's why I bought an air popper

7. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

I remember the old school buttons, although I usually stopped it 20 secs before the time was up and it worked fine. I can't eat popcorn anymore, so I haven't tried it on my newer microwave.

8. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I do occasionally use my popcorn maker/oil popper as the end result is far superior but when I'm feeling lazy, eh, microwave.

9. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

My microwave doesn't have a popcorn button (and in fact, I never saw a microwave with a "popcorn" button. Must be an American thing.)

I think the last time I ate popcorn was years ago. It was from a bag, and it tasted like eating salted nothing.

10. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Ours has one setting to the key: Burned to a radioactive charcoal or not popped at all. No rhyme or reason to it--other than the microwave is ancient.

11. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

We have a 900 watt microwave, and the popcorn button seems to do a good job popping 95% of the kernels.

12. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

Mine works well, but I tend to set the timer manually.

13. Captain Ice

Captain Ice Cookie Constructor Admiral

Getting Captain Ice on to the naughty list
    Seems to work ok, but I don't eat popcorn much at home. Our local theater chain has a deal where if you buy a $25 t-shirt and bring it with you, they give you a free medium popcorn every time you go to the movies. For $1 to $2, you can upgrade to large and extra large sizes. I tend to get my fill of popcorn there.

14. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Mine doesn't work that well. I just set the timer for the recommended time, and listen carefully for the pops.

15. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

This.

I have eaten microwaved popcorn before. Hated it.

16. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Incidentally, my current microwave is the same old microwave that I grew up with. My parents gave it to me when I went off to college, and it's still going strong after being nearly as old as me!

It is too old to have a popcorn button, and even if it did, I wouldn't use it. I haven't made popcorn in at least 15 years.

17. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Mine doesn't even have a popcorn button.

It however has a button for cooking a premade frozen pizza at various weights and when it's done it's pretty good.

Since Germany isn't a big popcorn nation (was never offered popcorn while at friends and you can't find it readily available in stores) i guess there is no need for such a button.. cultural differences i guess (the same applies to cup holders in cars.. from what i hear a car without one has a hard time in the US, in Germany it's not a decisive criterium).

18. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My machine dates from 1990 making it...crap...23 years old! Thus it's wattage is still in the 3 digit range. If I simply place the bag upon the turn-table, barely half of the kernals pop. But I elevate the bag by using a "Corning" brand "grabber" (a squat cylindrical soup bowl with a flange for, well, gripping) topped with microwave safe plate. this positions the bag closer to the dead center of the chamber where the "emitter" is focused. Then I set the machine for 3 minutes 33 seconds and just keep an ear and nose open when it had reached the last 33 seconds.

Also, I don't cook the standard sized bags as that is usually to much for just me (and I'll "graze" until it's all gone, can't stop myself). So I purchase smaller, "single serving" bags that are just right and so I don't feel "bloated" afterwards.

Sincerely,

Bill

P.S. I guess I should state that, no, my microwave does NOT have a "popcorn" button given its age.

19. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

Neither does mine (and I think you may very well be right there).

It's been ages since I made micro-popcorn so I don't remember how I did them... but the first time ever I popped in the micro I timed it.

It was my idea to program one of the buttons to be my popcorn button, but I didn't even need to do that as the time I found perfect for one bag (only one size available here), was a time I could reach by pressing the START-button a couple of times.

The defrost and roast chicken-button, however, is fantastic! -works brilliantly every time!
    (I should mention that my oven is a combo of grill, convection, and micro-oven).

20. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

Don't have a popcorn button, this microwave is a bit old and weak. I've used them before and they are okay, I'm just not a huge popcorn fan.