The Heart of Into Darkness

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by stj, May 30, 2013.

1. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I misremembered - it wasn't Jake, it was a one-off character in "The Passenger."

2. sj4iy

sj4iy Commander Red Shirt

I noticed a lot of characters interrupting or talking over each other in natural situations in these movies. I agree it didn't happen in any of the series or movies very often before, but it seemed completely normal to me here. The grammar was fine, I didn't think it sounded any differently than normal. People don't often speak with incorrect grammar except in certain accents or having grown up with English as a second language. None of these characters grew up in those areas nor spoke English as a second language, so they talked fine. Obviously, I haven't scoured the movie for bad grammar, but nothing egregious or too perfect popped up on my radar.

I will say this conversation reminds me of this xkcd comic:

[​IMG]

3. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    I'm not sure modern movies should try to emulate The Big Lebowski. It works sometimes but "realism" isn't always preferable.

4. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

1. Not sure I understand what you mean. In what way would you say that movie is being emulated?
    2. I know each individual has their own personal milestones to mark what's new, older, really old, etc., but if The Big Lebowski isn't a modern movie, then what is it?

5. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    No, no. I mean, Lebowski had a very distinct way with the dialogue, full of stops and misspeak, etc. It was intentional, of course, and fully scripted, but what I was saying to Admiral Buzzkill was that Trek's 'clean' dialogue wasn't necessarily a bad thing, or rather than the polar opposite, while ok for certain movies or series, wasn't necessarily right for Trek.

6. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd love to see a spin off following Khansickle and The Dude.