No Radiation Suits In The 23rd Century?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by austen_pierce, Sep 14, 2013.

1. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

^^What a constructive post.

2. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Seriously! What moron makes a movie about a genetically enhanced super human? That kind of shit wouldn't fly in Star Trek. Star Wars, maybe, but not Star Trek.

3. James

James Guest

The genetic superhuman thing wasn't the stupid part, the ridiculous super blood regeneration was.

4. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

Maybe we should tell all the real scientists working on ways to engineer the human body to be able to repair itself better to go ahead and quit. Some guy on a Star Trek message board thinks it's ridiculous in a movie with alien/human hybrids, FTL communication and a human race that abandoned war, aggression and greed the moment aliens that looked like Moe Howard with pointy ears showed up.

The point I'm making is that none of it is real, relax. It's a movie, not a religion.

5. OpenMaw

OpenMaw Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You know better than that don't you?

6. Amaris

So the genetically superior human isn't the stupid part, just the circulatory system of said genetically superior superhuman?

That doesn't make sense. You accept the genetically superior superhuman seemingly without question, but discard part of what makes him genetically superior and superhuman in the first place. That line of thinking is flawed right from the start.

It's like saying, "Yeah, I can accept an alien male from the planet Krypton coming to Earth and being raised by a family, under a yellow Sun and gaining superhuman strength, leaping tall buildings, running faster than a speeding bullet, picking up and tossing cars like they're toys, using heat vision to stop crime, and flying around a bustling city in blue spandex wearing a cape; but I swear, if he gets weak due to his proximity to a green rock from his home planet, well, I just can't accept something so ridiculous."

This is essentially the argument you're making.

7. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Huh? Khan was always supposed to be a genetically superior superhuman, but he was never conceived as having magic resurrection blood until STID.

8. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Nor was there any implication he didn't.

9. Amaris

Exactly. We have no specific idea how Khan was engineered. For all we know, his blood is designed to act as a rejuvenating agent, which gives him a longer lifespan, and makes him highly resistant to disease.

10. Awesome Possum

It need keep him alive on Ceti Alpha 5 when it turned to shit. His wife who did not have magic blood died, yet he's wandering around and is ripped as hell. Now we know why, he has magic blood. That's canon.

11. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Okay if the prime universe Khan had super blood, then when his wife invaded by the ceti eel, why didn't he provide her with a injection/transfusion of his blood?

And why did nineteen of the other superfriends die from the eel?

:)

12. Amaris

The blood Khan has may be unique. The others may not have had its regenerative properties. Khan was a leader, after all. That's one possible explanation.

Another is that even with superblood, no one is immortal or invulnerable. Any number of things could have happened on a planet with such a volatile environment as Ceti Alpha V.

As for Ms. McGivers, for all we know, Khan had no idea his blood had that kind of regenerative capability.

Then again, perhaps Khan let her die because she wasn't strong enough to survive. He did see weakness as a failing.

Really, there are any number of explanations for these events.

13. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Scotty is barely 10 years older than Kirk. I don't know much about radiation exposure but I think genetic factors and exposure levels play more of a part than age.

Besides, if Kirk gets there and has no clue what to do, Scotty, everyone on board, and a lot of people in the city are dead. Kirk can't restart the test like Troi.

14. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Did McCoy put Khan's blood directly into Kirk or did he do something with it first? I've not seen the movie for awhile but I recall McCoy mentioning something about doing something with the blood. If so Khan probably didn't have access to the proper equipment or perhaps Khan had no idea that his blood could heal like that.

15. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm not so sure healing blood would reverse the massive brain damage that Ceti Eels cause. We saw it cure a sick girl (and we know from ENT: "Cold Station 12" that it can cure Clarkes disease) and radiation damage, which are a lot different.

16. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

The Federation in the original Star Trek seemed to be biased against androids and robots, as if there had been some kind of "Butlerian Jihad" that discouraged their use, the echoes of which were only starting to disapate by the time Mr. Data was created.

17. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

As has already been mentioned, it could cure certain diseases (ENT - Cold Station 12) and it could drastically alter a Klingon's body structure in minutes (removing their brow ridge, changing their pigmentation, making them stronger, faster, with ore stamina, more survivable, etc. - ENT - Affliction). So I don't think resurrection under certain conditions is out of the question when you're already dealing with something with those properties.

The eel destroys your brain as it grows (so it might not be something even the "super blood" can heal), before it kills you the victim goes berserk and may run off or become a threat (so you might have to kill them), and they were stranded on a desert planet in a cargo pod, not a fully fledged medical lab.

18. Makarov

Makarov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

But then you completely lose the aspect of the scene which is Kirk running in there knowing he's going to certainly die. Unless of course he expects the force of the warp core to kill him anyway, in which case there's no reason to wear a radiation suit.

19. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Changing their pigmentation, you say? :biggrin:

20. Awesome Possum

It might only repair damage to the cells and anything bigger either takes longer, likely causing you to die before it can. So it's useful for disease and stuff like that. Maybe even repair wounds faster than a normal humans, but not Wolverine fast.

Khan can be knocked out, so it can't repair that either.