Need some help with a college assignment!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by hxclespaulplayer, May 4, 2013.

1. hxclespaulplayer

hxclespaulplayer Captain Captain

I'm not sure quite where to start, but once I get going I'll be fine:

"Is there a predominant ‘type’ of gendered body in America today? Discuss with reference to male OR female bodies (not both) and using any two of the readings from weeks 7 (beauty/beauty pageants), 8 (gendered bodies/body size), or 9 (boxing)"

2. JiNX-01

JiNX-01 Admiral Admiral

:wtf:

3. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

Jinx-01, There are weirder things being discussed in college :)

As for the OP, have you read your reading assignments from weeks seven or nine? You might want to pick one .. sex, and make an introduction and link it to what you read....

We can't really help you if we don't know what you are supposed to read beyond the topics you mentioned unless someone here somehow did something like this :lol:

Did the prof include a rubric?

4. hxclespaulplayer

I didn't even have a textbook until this assignment came up, it wasn't used at any point so I just assumed it was optional. The language in it is just... ugh. Very complicated. I was hoping to only have to look at a couple of paragraphs when I'm tying the assignment in to what I'd supposedly read. Really, I just need the definition of a "gendered body" broken down into something a bit easier to understand. OR:

"Critically reflect upon The Lucia Rijker Story and discuss the film in the context of the readings by Hargreaves and Wacquant (in the reader)."

The movie was about a female boxer. I didn't pay much attention as I hadn't read anything in the readings, but it's on youtube. I think I'm best off with the first question, I do know a boxer irl, but it's associating that with a gendered body that's difficult. The professor suggested either speaking to him about the boxing body vs the "ideal" body and also bought up the point that many female boxers only train and don't actually compete. I could go into the sociology of boxing very easily but not the gender part of it.

http://loicwacquant.net/assets/Papers/PUGSATWORK.pdf <-- see what I mean?

5. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

You are screwed, unless you are pals with someone in the class with a copy, or the library (or one of the libraries) at your college has one. If you are able to buy one, skim and read the parts you need, hats off to you.

Have you tried googling. It helped me in graduate school :lol:

Besides, I think asking a boxer those kinds of questions might be risky if you don't know the boxer that well (unless the boxer truly understands and appreciates why you are asking)

6. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Gendered Body might have to do with how the societal world around us shapes our perceptions of our physical bodies. This has a lot to do with bulk of the population being encouraged to participate in (usually heterosexual) gender identity conformity.

Human bodies are shaped and controlled by the norms and pathways of the gendered social orders. How you dress, your diet, manner of speech, to meet social expectations. American culture has moved slightly away from this, but only slightly. Little boys still get baseball gloves, and little girls get soft dolls.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucia_Rijker

It might help to know the title of the textbook, and it's author.

:)

Last edited: May 5, 2013
  7. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Sorry, you have to do the readings. Specifically, you have to do the readings, understand them, and then cite to the readings in your paper. I suspect the readings will be very useful in helping you understand the meaning of that question. When's the due date?

8. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

Some professor is spending time and energy planning lessons, presenting classes, and grading papers... for this? :scream:

9. Alidar Jarok

Seriously, did you read the syllabus? Unless the syllabus says the readings are optional, they're not supposed to be optional. Granted, I've gotten away with not reading them previously, but they're quite often supposed to be supplemental to the class lectures as opposed to cumulative and are fair game for an assignment.

10. hxclespaulplayer

That's what I thought too, though I thought some of them would be done during tutorials - nothing until this point has referenced them. It wasn't until I looked at the unit outline (I enrolled rather late and hadn't seen it until recently) that I saw this:

That hasn't actually happened yet. In the lectures, half the class plays around on their iphones :confused: It's actually overdue from last friday, I have an extension until this friday.

I do have the text, it's just sitting down to actually read it that does me in, it's very archaic language, despite me passing the most advanced English class that was available in high school. I've known the boxer for 15 years so that's not a problem, however his opinions seem to be very... simplistic I guess.

Thank you! I think I can get somewhere with this in mind. I don't spend a lot of time perceiving my own physical body, as I just accept that it's far from perfect and move on. I don't even have to get a passing grade, just attempt all the work:

11. Alidar Jarok

How much is the project worth as a percentage of your grade? It might be possible to pass the class with just an attempt at the assignment, but it will likely torpedo your GPA and make it difficult to be successful in college in the long run.

12. hxclespaulplayer

20%. The research essay is the big one, worth 50%:

(Just in case you're curious)

13. Alidar Jarok

If you get less than 50% on this assignment, it would preclude you from receiving an A in the course. Just keep that in mind.

14. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

Just because everyone else in class is wasting their tuition money doesn't mean that you should as well. If I let what the students around me were doing define my college experience then I would have learned nothing but how to make a brightly colored MySpace page. Not really worth the thousands of dollars I put towards my education.

You have to push through it. It may not be fun, but the point of these assignments isn't to have fun, it's to learn something new about the subject. And also to teach you how to do shit you don't want to. Trust me, it will come in handy in your future career.

Since it would probably take too long to fully read all of the information that you need to, I would suggest reading the introduction/preface, as well as the first and last paragraphs of each chapter/section. Skim the middle parts. Read the conclusion. Highlight useful quotes as you go. Write your paper.

15. Tora Ziyal

Alidar Jarok and Spot's Meow have both given you excellent advice and feedback, hxclespaulplayer. I hope you'll listen to them.

16. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

This is the most important advice anyone can give you, hxclespaulplayer.

The students playing instead of learning are probably sliding by while their parents pay the tuition. Those of us who had to pay our way, actually studied. We EARNED our education. After graduating, we put our education to good use. The ones you see playing around are the same ones who will be living in their parents' basement while complaining no one will hire them.

Earn your education, my friend, and put it to good use.:techman:

17. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

How about doing a journal search using the key words?

18. hxclespaulplayer

And the results are in. B-, B-, B- and C.

My grade was only three points lower than my last assignment. I told the tutor that I thought she was being lenient, she explained that she had to mark my work in relation to the average student - so I guess I'm either putting more effort in than the average student, or just have a knack for gender issues. Next up, my last piece of work for the unit, a 3500 word essay, which counts for 40% of my final grade:

I actually feel this will be easier than the assignment I was complaining about. Long - being seven times longer than any prior assignment - but easy.

19. Tora Ziyal

Glad to hear it turned out okay!

Am I understanding correctly that the B-'s were the previous assignments, and the C was this one? Maybe your grading system is different, but I'm used to C being average (or, in some places with grade inflation, below average). I'm wondering how you concluded that a C means "either putting more effort in than the average student, or just have a knack for gender issues." Sounds like you were right in the middle of the pack. Which is fine. I'm not putting down the grade, just questioning the conclusion you drew from it.

BTW, I'm curious about the connection you apparently made between rape laws and body type/size, too. Care to explain?

20. Alidar Jarok

C is generally not average anymore. With grade inflation, I suspect it's an ok grade, but on the low end. I know that, for my major, I could not pass a required course with anything lower than a C overall for that course. However, that being said, given the starting point for that assignment, congratulations on pulling through. Please do the assignments from now on (or figure out which ones you can get away with skipping). You'll do fine after that.