Wrath of Khan Steelbook at Best Buy

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Maxx42, May 17, 2015.

1. Maxx42

Maxx42 Lieutenant Red Shirt

I know many of you were not interested in this release but since it was supposed to hit the shelves today I wanted to check it out.

First I went to the Best Buy website to check to see if my local store had it on the shelves. It was listed as available so I headed over.

Of course once again Best Buy shows why they have the worst customer service around.

No one knew anything about it or even wanted to help in finding where it was.

It has a release date for today.

Anyone else find it?

Maxx42

2. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

^ According to BB's website, the release date was actually last Sunday, rather than today. (And since when were things released on a Sunday?) And their site also says that no BBs near me have it in stock.

Do you know if this is just a repackaging, or did they actually fix some of the colour issues for this one?

EDIT: Sorry, my bad. The May 10th date was for Canada; I checked the US site and it was indeed listed as the 17th.

3. Richard Baker

Richard Baker Commodore Commodore

Is it just a fancy package or have they added/changed something worthwhile?

4. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Good question.

Certain steelbook releases are limited edition and become highly collectible in themselves.
    On the other hand, others get flooded onto the market and you see twenty copies sitting on the shelf at the same store.

Personally, I prefer thin multi-packs of several movies, to save shelf space.

Kor

5. TheGoodStuff

TheGoodStuff Captain Captain

A steelbook Wrath of Khan sounds awesome.

6. Firebird

Firebird Commodore Commodore

On the Cinerama screen, in glorious Technicolor.
    Best Buy has been a notorious pain in the ass lately on availability for retailer-exclusive editions. People on a home theater forum were reporting the same issues with their editions of The Andromeda Strain and Munich being unavailable, even though their systems said they were in stock.

7. lizlovestrek

lizlovestrek Lieutenant Red Shirt

Checked the website and it says the closest store to me to have it is 98.7 miles away lol, no. I'm not gonna go that far for a steelbook, I'd probably buy it if it were closer.

8. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

No indication it's anything more than a repackage of the existing Blu-ray.

9. Disco

Disco Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What's a steelbook?

10. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

Trekcore has some good pictures:
    http://trekcore.com/blog/2015/05/best-buy-twok-steelbook/

Literally what it sounds like. A steel book with plastic DVD/Blu-ray sleeves inside. Often valued as collector items, especially since there's usually nothing written on the steel itself except the title. Credits and such are usually on a slipcover of some kind.

11. Disco

Disco Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thank you

12. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Lately? BB has been like this as long as I can remember. It's why I gave up on them for any release I really wanted.

If I'm in a BB for something else, I might pick up a blu-ray or two if the price is good.

Though a lot of the time, I'll wait for the price to come down on new releases.

I got the gift set/steelcase of STID. It came with a USS Vengeance.

13. enterprisecvn65

enterprisecvn65 Captain Captain

This amongst other reasons may explain why the Best Buy closest to where I live just went out of business. Despite being located directly across from one of the fanciest and busiest malls in the state.

Best Buy is going to join Circuit City in the dustbin of failed technology stores soon.