WATCHMEN - Movie Discussion and Grading (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Feb 28, 2009.

?

Grade the movie

1. A+

16.8%
  2. A

22.7%
  3. A-

18.9%
  4. B+

11.7%
  5. B

8.2%
  6. B-

5.5%
  7. C+

4.5%
  8. C

3.1%
  9. C-

1.7%
  10. D+

0.7%
  11. D

3.1%
  12. D-

1.7%
  13. F

1.4%
  1. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

A bigger version- go here

Never seen a poster of that no. It'd be cool though, and one of the Minutemen lineup too

2. Daedalus12

Daedalus12 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ Thanks guys. I am going to try to get that printed out on gloss poster paper using our industrial HP plotter tomorrow. :D Hopefully the result will be good. I'll print out one for the Minutemen photo lineup also.

I am just wondering now if I can get a 6K scan of those two scenes from the film because a 6 feet poster is possible at that resolution.

3. Ethros

Got the Silk Spectre & Dr Manhattan figures. Damn Silk Spectre is a bitch to stand up properly, why can't they just have TWO holes to stand them up in rather than just one.
    This seems to be a similar theme to other female action figures I've bought in the past (namely Buffy Summers and Ada Wong); they're shit at standing up properly because of their skinny little legs.

Just need Nite Owl & Ozzymandias now for the set

4. Caligula

Caligula Vice Admiral Admiral

Boy, isn't she? Her mother's even harder to stand up straight, if you can believe it. I was wondering myself why they didn't put holes in the bottoms of both feet. Oh well. I do appreciate the attention to detail, otherwise.... :devil:

5. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

There is a photo/screen grab of the Minutemen(from the credits sequence) in a resolution = to this Watchmen lineup? If so could someone repost that?

6. Ethros

7. Captain Craig

^^^^
    Why, yes, thank you!
    Too bad its not in color.

8. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Are you certain? I can't find any evidence online of a Watchmen DVD release.

Oh, and per the discussion about the lineup image and a subsequent poster being needed, I am on board. I hope someone is able to licence one out. Fantastic. Perhaps a DVD screencap will do?? :techman:

9. CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's either going to be July 21 or July 28th. Link

Personally I'm hoping for July 21st since it would make a good birthday present for me.

10. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

11. commodore64

commodore64 Vice Admiral Admiral

I really enjoyed this movie. A- or B+

12. Captain Craig

I read where this first release is going to be fairly bare. Look for a double dip as early as the Holidays with more extras. That is what I'll hold out for. I'll not be a victim of the double dip if I can help it.

13. CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I know what I'll be watching on my birthday. :techman:

Didn't you click on the link 2 posts above your post? In July we're getting the Director's Cut, which has 25 extra minutes of footage. As for the Ultimate Edition, all we know for sure about that is that the Black Freighter will be integrated into it, we don't know if will have any more cut footage put back in. That may mean it will have more footage of the newsstand people, but other then that we really don't know anything at this point. For all we know it will be the Director's Cut + The Black Freighter.

Personally I've never been a huge Black Freighter fan, so I think I'm just going to buy the standalone release of the Black Freighter with the Under the Hood documentary (which I'm personally more interested in seeing).

14. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I got the director's cut dvd last night. Watched the movie and really liked it. The 25 minutes really helped and I suggest fans to get that version over the theatrical cut.

The film felt much less rushed. During the first viewing I noticed a few things immediately.

The new Rorschach scenes near the start of the movie shows him more as a fugitive.
    Nearly all the flashbacks during the Comedian's funeral were extended.
    The Laurie running from the government storyline gave the character much needed screentime.
    We had an added scene with Dr Manhattan teleporting the reporters out of the room before leaving for Mars showing off how angry he was.
    Dr Manhattan's converstaion with Laurie on Mars was extended and included the puppets with strings line and his surprised reaction to finding out Laurie was with Dan.
    We got more scenes with the newsstand and they actually showed two pages of the pirate comic!
    The best new scene was Hollis Mason's death and Dan nearly killing the Knot gang member later on which I thought greatly develop both Nite Owls.

Overall it's an improvement. Looks like I gave the orginal theatrical cut an A- so I'll give the director's cut an A. It's still not perfect but I consider Watchmen to be a flawed masterpiece! :techman:

15. DarthPipes

DarthPipes Vice Admiral Admiral

Cool! I should be getting my copy tomorrow. Glad to hear that the flashbacks were extended because Comedian was, in my opinion, the best thing in the movie. Heard the stuff with Hollis Mason is really good too.

16. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

Well i just saw the movie and i really did enjoy it, very dark but a good story, and it did its job of entertaining me for the entire length of the movie.

Good stuff.

17. paudemge

paudemge Captain Captain

I just saw the Watchman and I was very disappointed. It was obvious that Veidt was the villain, from almost the beginning, so much so that I was sure there would be some kind of twist. Rorschach was the only character I really liked, but I thought his voice was terrible because it just screamed Dark Night.
    I don't understand why John killed Rorschach, John should have just killed Veidt, i'm sure Rorschach would have stayed quiet about it if Veidt payed the price.

18. Captain Craig

I liked the movie and debated getting it yesterday at Target.
    As I'm unemployed I have to limit myself to such "luxuries" right now and I've already decided to get Dollhouse S1 this month so Watchmen will have to wait.

19. Daneel

Daneel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, I decided not to get it now either, especially if they are indeed going to come out with some sort of deluxe edition by the end of the year.

I did plan to rent it, but apparently the Director's Cut isn't available for rental, except on Blu-Ray. So I guess I'll just have to wait for now, and maybe see if I can borrow it from someone... Anybody here wanna lend me their copy? ;)

20. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I hope you know that the Ultimate Edition that's coming out this winter is the director's cut with the pirate cartoon added into the movie. I think that showing parts of the cartoon while the movie is going on will be horribly distracting so I'm not going to bother with it. The director's cut is the way to go for me.

I noticed that the Best Buy near me had nearly sold out of the Director's Edition when I went yesterday. I'm glad the movie is selling well.