DS9 should get Remastered

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Trekmaster555, Mar 3, 2008.

1. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

Re: Trek TV remastered

As I've already pointed out on this thread a link to TNG remastering which had that information.
    My question was
    about your
    If you do not have a source to even a rumor then it is not a rumor.

2. SoM

SoM Captain Captain

Upscaling, in other words. They could do that as-is - hell, if you watch a DVD on any recent LCD or plasma screen, interpolation is necessary to display anything except a small, windowboxed, picture - but it would be of an inherently lower quality than rescanning the film. And not by a small amount.

3. Captain Fine

Captain Fine Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah the original film needs to be rescanned for sure. It's a pain that it has to be reedited as well, but it doesn't sound like it should be too hard (based on the TNG Remaster thread) so I think the real expensive thing to do will be the special effects.

4. noknowes

noknowes Lieutenant Commander

UPSCALING.

would fix it.the software would INTERPOLATE AND EXTRAPOLATE from existing footage....which would be frozen as a digital image.

upscaling software WOULD REPRODUCE HD quality without master tapes at all.

5. DiSiLLUSiON

DiSiLLUSiON Commodore Commodore

Do you really feel the need to shout like that? If you're afraid of being misunderstood, you could simply pay more attention to your grammar and spelling, you know.

6. timelord1010

timelord1010 Captain Captain

I hope that if CBS does get around to remastering TNG and DS9 they do things different than what they did for TOS. How about instead of syndication they air it on the CBS network on a Saturday night so everyone will know where to find it. I had a hard time finding TOS-R on TV since they kept changing the air time. Also, they would have to speed up the airings since most people will lose patience with a season per year being remastered.

7. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

Nice idea, but I doubt it'd get even 1/10th the ratings to justify a primetime spot on a big network.:(

8. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm no genius, I just pretend to be one in the Voyager forum, but you seem to be missing the point. Software cannot interpolate and extrapolate data that is not there.

Lets say for the sake of argument that Avery Brooks has a faint wrinkle on his forehead, it's too faint to show up on the video image but it does show up on the original film negatives. Since the data for those pixels is not on the video image the upscaling software does not know that it is there and it will not create it. If they don't rescan the original film they cannot get all the detail; they cannot recreate the wrinkles on an actor's face, they cannot show the writing on background computer displays, they cannot show the finer details on the spaceship models... so much would be lost out.

Upscaling the image will make it look better than the original image but it will not be able to produce the same level of detail that a full remastering of the footage would achieve.

9. timelord1010

timelord1010 Captain Captain

That's why I mentioned Saturday night, the usual dead spot of the networks schedule and CBS and the other networks seem to repeat shows that aired earlier in the week on Saturday nights.
    As for ratings, who knows? If it's hyped and promoted properly it could get decent ratings. Like Chuckles said on Voyager: "Everything old is new again!".

10. noknowes

The background display details don/t exist ans is mostly gibberish to make it look good.it is mostly dos code in color.

You misunderstand.Why would I want to see wrinkles on Sisko's head?

it would add nothing to my enjoyment.

WE DON'T NEED THAT KIND OF UNSAVOURY DETAIL

NEXT YOU WILL WANT TO SEE HIS NOSE HAIRS.

or stubble on Kira's legs.

ugh.ugh.ugh.

11. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ But that's the point of HD, you see far more detail than on SD. I don't need HD, I'm fine with letting my DVD player upscale my DVDs to display on my HDTV, but some people want to watch DS9 in HD and for those people upscaling the existing episodes will not be good enough.

12. Captain Fine

Captain Fine Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Remastering DS9 isn't just for us, it's for future generations that they might enjoy the awesomeness that is DS9. When everyone switches to HD and gets used to that level of quality, DS9 will look like shit next to it.

13. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

future generations and SD vs HD

I agree. My post on Will Star Trek live forever? brings this up.
    A TV show getting remastered via an expensive process is solely a business decision based on R.O.I..
    Standard definition has been adequate since 1928. It has improved but it does still work and moving from analog capture and storage to digital capture and storage of standard definition television has improved the image from the initial capture from 35mm film & editing systems output.

14. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Your CD player can play the same songs you listened to on grammaphone -- after its been remastered from the original recording.

15. Hober Mallow

Um... you do know that remastered TOS on blu-ray features the original FX from the 60s, right? You knew that, right?
    Funny you mention Casablanca. I just watched it on blu-ray, remastered in high-definition. This is the way it looked in theaters originally. Nothing was changed. If you haven't seen Casablanca on blu-ray, you really haven't seen it.

If you can, watch Casablanca on blu-ray. Then you'll finally get what remastering in HD is all about.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2009
  16. noknowes

UPSCALING IS FINE.SOFTWARE INTERPOLATION/EXTRAPOLATION IS FINE TOO.NO NEED FOR EXPENSIVE,HEADACHE INDUCING REMASTERING.THE REASON IS WITHOUT THE MASTER COPY TO COMPARE TOO IT WOULD BE IMPOSSIBLE TO TELL THE DIFFERENCE.

when i write in caps it does not mean i am shouting.it means i forgot to switch caps off.

i don't look at the screen when i type.i look at the keyboard.
    itistoo much effort to rewrite.iwish a special button could automatically make it lower case upper case by clicking on it.

what i did was to italicizise it instead so that youwill not be too upsetand take umbrage with myposting style.
    i also don't use punctuation,proper grammer as i anm in a hurry and can't bebothered but somketimes i do ,depending onmy mood and time constraints,i hope this explains me.

17. Navaros

Navaros Commodore Commodore

Should DS9 get Remastered - yes it should, starting right now.

Personally I wouldn't buy the Remastered version until I am rich enough to afford a 60" TV...which wouldn't be until years into the future.

Additionally, I certainly wouldn't pay the $130 USD or more that Paramount would probably charge per Season for the the first 3-5+ years that DS9 is sold in HD.

So yeah, they should get their butts in gear and start Remastering DS9 right now because even after they release it, it will still be years later before it is priced reasonably enough to buy.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2009
  18. Navaros

Navaros Commodore Commodore

Sounds like what you are suggesting would be viewed by CBS/Paramount as a violation of the Trek IP, therefore they would shut it down with cease and desist legal letters as soon as someone started to try it.

So it being technically possible, presuming that your post is correct on the technical capabilities of such a project being doable, is a moot point. The idea would be swiftly crushed for legal reasons regardless.

19. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Well, not quite. 35mm has many times the resolution of HD, so if you can, see a print of Casablanca. But HD certainly comes far closer to replicating the visual experience than SD.

20. Hober Mallow

Sure, and why bother keeping the original Mona Lisa when a printed copy on a postcard will do just fine? Who can tell the difference between the two, right?

I can't fathom this logic. At all.