Kirk skydiving: Gens vs. Star Trek ‘09

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by F. King Daniel, Apr 1, 2009.

1. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Star Trek Generations originally opened with a bitter old Captain Kirk trying to relive past glories by skydiving from a shuttle in earth orbit. Upon landing, Scotty convinces him to go along to the Enterprise-B launch. These scenes (and many others including Kirk being shot in the back and Worf fighting Romulans) were cut from the final version of Generations, and to my knowledge these deleted and alternate scenes have never been released.

15 years after Generations, in the new Star Trek, we actually see young Kirk skydiving (along with Sulu and someone else) from Enterprise in orbit to Nero’s drilling platform raining death on Vulcan.

It seems almost like a bit of very clever reverse continuity.

(which of course is totally ruined if you start whinging about alternate timelines and reboots)

Anyone else think this might be the past that old Kirk was trying to relive? And have the Generations deleted and alternate scenes ever been released?

2. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just thought to look on YouTube for the deleted scenes just after posting. There they are! Thanks ;-)

4. Augustus

Augustus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Considering one of the writers is a big fan, it wouldn't surprise me if he had this in mind when they wrote the scene.

5. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Yeah, the possible connection between that deleted orbital skydiving scene and this one has been pointed out before. Orci and Kurtzman have said outright that there will be a number of references to persons, events, etc. in the various series and even some of the novels. This one sounds likely enough.

6. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

And here I thought I would never see "new" footage of pre-Abrams Trek again.

Thank you. :)

7. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

8. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

That would have been avery good opening.

9. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

The new movie's scene is far more dynamic and interesting, its a tv vs cinema difference.

RAMA

10. Tréquer

Tréquer Cadet Newbie

I would prefer to see young Kirk climbing a mountain.