Fantastic Four reboot-- Casting, Rumors, Pix, ect;

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

You speak without knowledge. You may be right, but if so, it will be by luck.

Most likely, given that the studio has nothing to lose by hinting at a crossover, there will be some brief mention of mutants generally and/or the events of X1 or X2 (or, less likely, The One We Do Not Discuss from '06).

2. Doctorwhovian

Doctorwhovian Fleet Captain

Apart from Franklin being a mutant (mentioned on Deathstryke's computer screen in X2), have there really been that many team-ups between the Fantastic Four and the X-men in the comics? I know there was a 1980's miniseries, and the X-men have faced Doctor Doom, but the two series have never really fit together IMO as well as the other MU series-and yes, I know Wolverine and Storm were short-term members.

3. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I speak without certainty - I clearly stated 'it looks like'. If I am correct it is hardly due to 'luck'. I didn't pluck it out of thin air.

I saw a quote attributed to (I think) Trank, which I can't find now, saying the new X-Men continuity with the public aware of mutants since the 1960's doesn't fit with the 'FF universe'.

It might be true, it might not.

Edit : Found it. It's not Trank -

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.c...men-and-fantastic-four-wont-share-a-universe/

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  4. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

A found footage Fantastic Four done like Chronicle actually sounds good.

5. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The X-men don't really fit into the larger marvel universe very well at all. It's not just about the fantastic four. The F4 really ought to be a part of the MCU, but since that isn't possible, I'd say a standalone series is probably better than trying to shove superhero Celebrities and near universal hatred of Mutants into the same universe. Whether this one will be good or not remains to be seen, of course, but I'll reserve judgement on that till after i see it.

6. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

If they'd opted to do a few more X-Men movies set in the 1960s, I think the FF would've fitted right into that time frame too. Wasn't there supposedly a script from 10-15 years ago with a 'Hard Day's Night' feel to it, a day in the life of the Fab, er, Fantastic Four? When Peyton Reed was attached, I remember thinking that he'd be a good choice on the basis of his rather good screwball comedy Down With Love (I still think he'll make a good Ant-Man film on that basis).

With the next X-movie being set in the 1980s, I tend to agree that there doesn't seem to be an awful lot of point in crossing over the two universes.

7. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Not immediately, but sooner or later, they'll be up to date. If Fox want to develop their franchise outside of the one team, the FF give loads of extra scope and characters, and so do the various characters barely seen in the X Men movies.

From a business perspective alone, it makes more sense to have a thriving shared universe releasing two or three films a year, like the MCU, rather than a film every couple of years...

8. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

My guess is they'll hint at a shared universe at the point they feel like taking advantage of that shared universe. Until then, talking about mutants creates more of a mess than not talking about them. The Fantastic Four get powers - mutants! get them. Oh, they're not mutants. That means it's possible to get powers without having genetic differences from birth. Maybe mutants aren't the next evolution of humanity. If we're OK with the Fantastic Four as heroes, why not the X-Men? All this is why certain aspects of the X-Men are not a clean fit with everything else. None of it is insurmountable, but it shouldn't be done through self-referential Easter eggs and name dropping.

Granted, there is quite a bit of the X-Men universe that fits better with the Fantastic Four than with the movie X-Men universe. The Shi'ar, the Savage Land, etc. are better off appearing in a FF film than an X-Men film the way things stand right now.

9. Doctorwhovian

Doctorwhovian Fleet Captain

Plus FF most of the time focuses on the four main characters, with the ocassional 'fill-in' members when one of the heroes dies, retires, joins another team briefly etc. But I'm sure this movie will focus on the 'core' four. Also apart from FF/Future Foundation, there's really only the one FF comic these days (Although one that's been rebooted back to #1 a bit too often lately IMO)

X-men on the other hand often has a huge cast. Although Wolverine is the star of the most of the movies (With the exception of First Class), the comics have often focused on the other X-men-hell, we even have two versions of the original team members runnning around (Except for the older Jean who is still dead I think). Plus X-men has so many different titles and spinoffs it's hard to keep track.

10. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Really, there are enough characters and potential in the X-Men for its own expanded universe without the need to involve the FF. There's the McAvoy-led cast, the original cast, solo Wolverine movies and I suspect that after appearing in AOA Channing Tatum will get a solo Gambit movie.

11. Gaith

Well, human/mutant tension and oppression has defined all three (plus The One We Don't Speak About) main-team X-Men films, and, given that DOFP ends on a hopeful note in the 70s, maybe there's a willingness on the studio's part to start moving past that particular dynamic? As in, sure, there'll always be those wary of mutants, but for the most part, so long as things don't get too crazy, people will be content to live and let live. Also, all the X-movies so far have been the team containing threats and attacks from Magneto; maybe the 1980s events of Apocalypse will show that the Xavier Bunch is useful to have around in case of particular emergencies.

Furthermore, the FF4 are just four people, made special by a one-of-a-kind accident, so the world may not fear them as much as they do mutants. Kinda like how we still have a very vicious war on drugs, but certain overt and unabashed celebrity potheads like Willie Nelson have been tolerated and even celebrated by people of all stripes for decades. And, unlike many/most mutants living in secret, they're publicly identifiable and all that.

12. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

According to the President of Production over at 20th Century Fox, Fantastic Four WILL have a found footage feel.

13. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

These files were found in the memory banks of the experimental Herbie drone created by the Fantastic Four...

14. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

No, you're wrong, Herbie was created by Hell.

15. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ The Phantasmic Four perhaps?

In all seriousness though if he could do a superhero movie that really felt real it could be interesting. Like Doom and The Thing should look freaky as hell in real life. If it could be pulled off right it might be interesting to see that aesthetic applied to a Marvel property.

16. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I also hope the x-universe is moving beyond stories that revolve entirely around mutant politics, but I seriously doubt that the events of any story revolving around Apocalypse could ever bring the world closer to accepting mutants. Apocalypse, far more than anyone else including Magneto, is the poster boy for exactly why mutants scare the crap out of people.

I do agree, though, that if we're just talking about the F4 rather than the entire Marvel Comics roster then it is a lot easier to believe that the public is willing to give them a pass despite their mutant like abilities.

17. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Ugh.

18. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Oh, this sounds like a fun movie. Looking forward to it.

19. Gaith

^ I'd guess that that means a more realistic visual palette, not the hyper shiny, high-contrast super-colorful world of your average superhero movie. I'm definitely interested to see what they come up with...

20. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

They should say "gritty", we haven't heard that for a while. Bring that back. No more super-colorful movies like Man of Steel or Dark Knight or The Wolverine or Blade or...