DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

YOU HAVE ENTERED AN ILLEGAL ZONE.

Sorry, can't say what rocked, sucked, or both this week. No money, no comics.

2. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well I have read enough of Action Comics to have come to a conclusion about Superman.

Basically anybody who says the problem with Superman is that he is over powered is wrong. His problem is the whole goodie two hoes thing they had him doing for the last couple of decades or so.

NuSuperman does not have this problem and is way more interesting. If fact someone should make sure Nolan knows about the Nu version as this version would really help the movie he's working on.

3. C_Miller

C_Miller Captain Captain

Hmm... I think her Daredevil run is one of the classics.

I mean, she's pretty outspoken politically and it reflects in her writing and I can understand not liking that, but I still don't understand calling her "one of the worst writers in the business."

4. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I definitely think, "Superman is uninteresting because he is overpowered," ranks up there with, "The back-story is too complicated for new readers," as the two lamest excuses I hear from creators.

In regards to Superman, due to his exposure to the sun, Superman in All-Star Superman was overpowered for the first part of the series and Grant Morrison was able to make it work. If your ideas to make Superman more interesting are either to put him up against stronger foes or to de-power him, maybe you need to write another character. That being said, I do get Rag Morales' point in Action Comic #2s superfluous pages about getting to see Superman hurt. Then again, even over-powered Superman was shown bloody and beaten now and again.

As for the latter, part of what got me hooked was figuring out complicated back-stories. As a kid it was a great feeling to track down a comic which explained something that a more recent issue dealt with. I have a pretty decent collection of the 1980's "Baxter" volume of Legion of Super-Heroes, as well as the "5 Years Later" issues, because I jumped into LSH in the early 90's, before Zero Hour wiped away that Legion. It was fun diving in the back-issue boxes, through quarter bins, and in shop to shop to find the issues that would help give me a bigger view of what I just read.

5. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Yeah the art in GB isn't great.

A) I started this line of discussion and admitted it wasn't related to The New 52.

B) I didn't want to resurrect a buried thread.

C) It's "on topic" as far as "about new comic books" goes.

6. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Your Ghostbusters thread is on page three or something. It's hardly buried. I guess if it's okay with JD it doesn't matter but the thread title clearly says this is about the New 52...not "new comics". You don't see us bring up Marvel stuff in here.

7. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

The answer to this is simple, she should explain that she was cured because she prayed to our lord Jesus and he healed her. That is sure to kick off lots of productive debate on message boards like this.

8. Admiral_Young

Lord Jesus is Batman? :)

9. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

52 new books and 46 of them suck.

Aquaman and JLI are the only new titles that had real entertainment value and for some reason, Geoff Johns decided to ignore the reboot and just keep writing Green lantern as if nothing had changed. it's like they tried to tell him about the new 52 and he said "Go fuck yourself" and somehow as just a mere writer he had the "star-power" to get away with it like he was Hemingway or someone sans consequences.

Teen Titans and Superboy actually presented me with pain like their awfulness broke the fourth wall and attacked me inter dimensionally. Fiction is attacking me creating ulcers weeping me to death.

I say all this despite not having actually paid for my comics.

They were free, pathetic and bad.

I can't contrive how more judgy I must would be if I had paid the 7 dollars per unit I'm supposed to (I'm foreign).

At least when the books use to be bad, you could suffer under the illusion that the creative direction would change any moment and it would be an entirely ballgame, the bad might all be gone away next month, however, if all these writers are not locked into their books for at least a year this reboot is flawed and stupid since DC assumed they would be awesome and they needed these guys to stay to keep their new audiences hooked.

TPTB admitted that new coke was a foolhardy mistake and returned to the original formula once upon a time. On Pinky and the Brain, the Brain suggested that that was the plan the whole... that only be showing great darkness could we crawl back into the light with some gratitude, which is the plot to Unbreakable and the life story of Henry Bendix apparently, oh Monarchy, how I miss you.

Batman is doing it with a criminal.

Catwoman used to be somewhat reformed.

Now, because I'm guessing Identity Crisis never happened she's always been a thief and never a hero.

Stormwatch was just castrated. Have they straightened out Apollo and Midnighter? If they're not bloody in love being true to each other no matter the universe demolishing obstacle in their way?

Midnighter to Apollo: "You're telling me to be careful? Honey? I just beat this guy to death with that guy over there's spine I pulled out. I think I'll be fine."

Fuck Shakespeare! THAT'S LOVE!

(Well, actually it's "Millar" but fuck it.)

10. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I think it was more to do with being a) management and b) being involved in as a designer of the reboot and most importantly c) being behind a franchise that actually works (in sales terms relative to everything else on the market).

Let's face it - this happens after every crisis - Superman was reworked while titles like Firestorm simply continued with no changes at all.

11. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

That seems to be it.

Geoff Johns doesn't seem to have a problem at all with wiping his own work since his runs on Flash, JSA and Teen Titans have all been thrown out.

12. Admiral_Young

13. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

But those other books? Sure Geoff wrote them years earlier seminally but other authors had already rebranded and soiled his good work with for the most part with slop and bollocks. teen Titans had been unreadable since Mckeever left. Maybe Flash was getting better but only because it couldn't have gotten worse, and honestly the half dozen Superman books being produced each month were unmitigated abortions that made the 90s chum seem like neverneverland.

Johns is above all else a merciful man, and stopping the immediate decline and ruination of the Flash, Superman and Teen Titans by writers who ignored his stellar work because they assumed that their vision was more righteous, is not a sacrifice, it's noble and sterling. It's god damned euthanasia.

Did not know he was in charge of the reboot.

But that just means that following the parameters of my skit upthread where I speculated that he took a moral stand against possibly accountants, that it was really he himself who he told to fuck themself which we all do twice a day and is perfectly natural and healthy. Seriously sometimes you're brushing your teeth and you accidentally give yourself one of those "hey sexy" winks and you really have no choice but to submit to those bearing sexual advances powerlessly, because look at that magnificent bastard, he's gorgeous and he wants you.

14. Admiral_Young

Johns, DiDio, and Jim Lee are the masterminds behind the relaunch, but DC has had DiDio and Lee be the public spoke persons for the New 52. Johns pretty much set all of this into motion with "Flashpoint".

15. Hound of UIster

You have a very fertile imagination. You should go write comics.

16. Admiral_Young

Coverage from the NYCC "All Access" Batman panel. Once again the panellists confirm that nothing in Batman, Inc has been altered or change (although one points out Steph dropping the Batgirl identity but that really didn't happen in Batman, Inc). Here's the coverage:

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/nycc-2011-dc-comics-batman-panel-111014.html

They did address any future 'events' coming up and said basically not really. There hasn't been a major event in the Bat-Books since RIP concluded. There really isn't any need for one at this point in time and I suspect that Morrison's Batman, Inc finale next year is going to be a huge event in it's self.

17. Hound of UIster

Batman Inc is standalone.

I think currently they are building towards some sort of cohesion in the batbooks. The redevelopment of Gotham is being covered by both Batman and B&R. Likewise , the issue with Nightwing that was introduced in Batman is being covered in both Nightwing and Batman.

Right now I think DC is doing pretty well creative wise. The only ones that require major writer changes imo are:

1) Teen Titans & Red Hood - Giving Lobdell the keys to the TT franchise was a mistake. His TT is painfully average. His Red Hood was just bad. His choices with Starfire imo were questionable. The same with Wonder Girl and Kid Flash.
    2) Catwoman - Winnick on the book is just wrong. It plays to too many of his weaknesses in writing female characters.
    3) Legion of Super-Heroes - whatever talent Levitz had in writing the LOSH, he has pretty lost. He had the opportunity pre-reboot and blew it. I think DC would be better served by giving the book it to someone else to write.
    4) JLI - Given how well Winnick with Giffen co-plotting did with the JLI Generation Lost, I think Jurgens was a step down in quality.
    5) JLD - Again another major disappointment. Milligan's JLD is frankly just boring. Unlike Red Lanterns this book could be so much more.
    6) Detective Comics - Daniel may sell, but he is a terrible writer.

18. Admiral_Young

I agree wholeheartedly regarding "Detective Comics". Anyone but Tony Daniel. I would hesitantly agree about Paul Levitz on Legion of Superheroes. The stories have been inconsistent with plot elements being introduced and ignored or whatever. I still think back to Superboy and the Legion of Superheroes: The Early Years when he had Rokk sleep with Imra only for her to mind wipe him. I'm pretty sure that he said this would be touched upon in the main series but it hasn't yet. Then the Darkseid reveal in the first LOSH arc (I think it was) hasn't been touched upon either I don't think. Inconsistent and I really want to stick with the book.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  19. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Mindwipe? Nonsense. In the 31st century they swing. Like that issue where the twins tag teamed her.

20. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Seems that they are playing fast and loose with the "major even in the Bat-books" line. I guess "Battle for the Cowl" and "The Road Home," and "The Return," for the most part didn't take place "in the Bat-books," but in specials and mini-series.