Anybody else sick of Vampires?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Lookingglassman, Oct 17, 2009.

1. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

I swear if i could cross the sparkly vampire guy from twilight and Sasuke from Naruto, i could have an army of 12 year old girls large enough to take over the world

2. melancholymecha

melancholymecha Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I love vampires... except when theyre teens. I noticed this recently, that I enjoy vamp stuff much more when its about adults then when its about teenagers. Which is why I love True Blood & loved Moonlight but couldnt get into Buffy and the Twilight/Vampire Diaries stuff...

as for zombies, they dont interest me much b/c in most zombie movies the monsters have no personality, so its just watching a bunch of people running around killing them.

3. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Let the Right One In was really good.

I'm looking forward to watching Thirst soon, it looks awesome.

I watch Nosferatu every Halloween, and on the odd occasion I like watching Dracula with the Glass soundtack. (Nosferatu-inspired movies like the Herzog remake and the batty Shadow of a Vampire are also regulars.) I seriously need to get around to seeing Carl Theodor Dreyer's Vampyr. Christopher Lee's Dracula was pretty fun. Bram Stoker and Sheridan Le Fanu are two Irishmen who created pretty wicked vampires where literature is concerned.

...by contrast, zombies, oft mentioned in this thread, tend to bore me.

Granted, the vampires I mentioned aren't quite pop culture nexus of Buffy/Twilight, but that's the sort of teen angst that has never really appealed to me.

4. Neutral Zone

Neutral Zone Captain Captain

I don't mind the vampires, my favourite monster/demon/fiend/whatever, but I do get fed up with the vampire stories that either bend or break the rules! You know, the ones where they are allowed in daylight, live normal lives and find that drinking human blood to be wrong. Haven't they read Stoker's book or at least looked at the old Universal or Hammer films? Vampires are supposed to scare the crap out of you, not be your best friend!!!

5. Mr Pointy Ears

Mr Pointy Ears Captain Captain

I think that the whole vampire romance bit is where I draw the line. They are supposed to be evil rotten creepy monsters; not wildly seductive sex idols.[/QUOTE]
    agree, i totally agree,i remember the good old days when vampires were scary and blood sucking creatures.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  6. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

Zombies aren't boring.

Well, they are if they're the shuffling Romero-style zombies. Dull, dull, dull.

I've done a little research on zombies and there is more to them than that. as well as cannibals that get 'laughing sickness' from eating too many brains (read Niven and Barnes's 'Dream Park', you won't regret it). I also caught a late night movie called, iirc, simply 'I Was A Zombie'. Made in the 30s, I think. Not gory, but damned creepy.

The whole shuffling target-practice zombies are so very dull. And I hate horror films.

7. Zulu Romeo

Zulu Romeo World Famous Starship Captain Admiral

Do you prefer the running "infected" zombies as seen in 28 Days Later, Left 4 Dead, etc.? :bolian:

8. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

You're probably thinking of I Walked With A Zombie from 1943.

9. Australis

Yes, that's the one! Great film. Val Lawton was very good ( he made the original Cat People, another creepy one).

This one was influenced a little by White Zombie, made in 1932, had Bela Lugosi, not as good, but certainly effective.

10. Count Dracula

Count Dracula Ensign

lookingglassman,

My young friend, the problems lay not with vampires, but with their portrayal.

Gone is the true monster and evil of the original vampire, a cruel, monstrous, demonic terror that stalks the living and feeds upon their blood.

Now, we have shimmering vampires, and before them, vampires in evening wear with nice hair and sex appeal.

Hopefully, the pendulum will swing, teenage girls' panties will dry up, and we'll see a movement away from "Barbie-vampires" and a return to the true bloodsuckers.

11. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Yeah, White Zombie is great, too. Do you have the Val Lewton Box Set? Great stuff. :cool:

12. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

They make more sense as a concept, at least in 28 Days Later - because those aren't really dead, they are just infected living people.

Zombies as shown in Romero or Zack Snyder movies make no logical sense, because something that's dead cannot be walking around - the body would be inert. That's the whole meaning of death. Whatever is not dead is alive.

13. MeanJoePhaser

MeanJoePhaser Admiral

Vampires have had a sex-appeal to them since Lugosi's Dracula at least.

14. Niorah

Niorah Fleet Admiral Admiral

I agree with Count Dracula, to a point.

I am a big vampire fan, have been for ages, and when -I- was a teenager I don't remember vampires to be as boring, pointless and vacuous as they are in Twilight, but I certainly remember them to be definitely seductive, sultry, sophisticated creatures that could get under your skin in more ways than one. And more attractive than scary, to be honest. Or maybe that's just me.

I love Coppola's Bram Stocker's Dracula, I love Nosferatu, I love Dracula (1931). I have seen so many vampire movies I can't remember them all (yes, Dracula 3000 brought tears to my eyes, in all the bad ways possible), and I can say that every time they decide to produce a new one I'm alwasy curious to see what they thought of.

Right now I have my eyes on The Vampire's Assistant, for example. It looks like it'll be tons of fun. I don't necessarily long for vampires to be portrayed as excessively scary monsters, I just want to see good entertainment that gives one of the most popular fantastic creatures the justice it deserves.

And as for my avatar, I just think Mr. Pattinson looks good in this particular picture. ;)

15. Kirkman1987

Kirkman1987 Commodore Commodore

I like vampires a lot, although The latest trends don't interest me.

Love Nosferatu and The Hammer Dracula films. I must admit though I think The Lugosi movie is dreadfully boring and stagelike.

I love zombies, especially Romero zombies. You guys are nuts!;)

16. Lookingglassman

Lookingglassman Admiral Admiral

Has anybody seen, "Let the Right One in?" I want to get it on netflix, but dont want to waste the time if it isnt any good.

17. Australis

No, but his films often turn up on late night TV, I've seen the above two, The Leopard Man and possibly one or two others.

18. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

It's very, very good.

19. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Isn't there a fairly serious problem with the English subtitles on the US DVD release? I seem to remember hearing talk about that. Did they ever get around to fixing it?

20. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

^I've no idea about the DVD, I saw in the theater.