Kate Mulgrew - Orange is the New black

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by KaraBear, Jul 24, 2013.

1. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

It sounds funny until you remember what happened to the family bunny in "Fatal Attraction". :thumbdown:

Here's a view from someone who doesn't like season 2.

http://spectator.org/articles/59841/orange-new-black-proves-tv-being-written-binge-watchers

Needless to say I disagree with Mr./Ms McClay re: the Vee/Red etc storyline. I also vehemently disagree with his/her portrayal of the Red & Healy storylines.

Specifically on Red.

"Red drew most of her social capital back in the day from smuggling in goods via the kitchen. But since she’s been exiled from the kitchen, how can she regain power? By. . .smuggling in goods a different way. The status quo keeps on getting aggressively restored..."

Red THOUGHT that was where her power came from... smuggling goods into the prison. But when her supply chain opened up again and she tried to ply her "friends" with goodies, she was rebuffed. Gina, Norma, Nicky, Morello (not sure about Boo :confused: ) didn't need goodies to be her friend. They needed HER. They needed an apology for Red endangering one of them in the search for power and they needed an apology for Red deserting them as soon as her power was lost.

What kind of message did that desertion send to her "girls". That I don't trust your love/respect unless I can buy it? And how much does Red actually value their love/respect if such a commodity CAN be bought?

As for Healy...

Healy, a prison counselor who actually abandoned Piper to die back in season one (remember that?), pops back up as a sad misunderstood guy. He spends a lot of time trying to set up some kind of group therapy club with violent-psychopath-turned-cute-sidekick Pennsatucky. Why? It’s not really clear...

I really thought the Healy storyline was well done. So often we look at prison through the inmates eyes or through the family's eyes but here we see what happens when a gentle soul is subjected to the soul sucking effect of incarceration even when the 'incarcerated" get to go home every night.

In this season we see the aftereffects of the Piper/ Pennsatucky beat down through counselor Healy's eyes. A man who was finally pushed by the bloody faces of these two women to do what Figaroa TOLD him to do in the final. "Get some effing therapy, man!"

While in therapy we see the man's insecurities and foibles in display, but we also see something else. We see his interest in HIS job, a job which could earn him 75 dollars an hour not to mention respect in the private sector, return full force. We see him practice HIS counselor's techniques on Pennsatucky and then watch him try to branch out into the "safe place" counseling program.

As laudable as his new found conversion is, one wonders at the blind eye he still turns towards the other women. Without Taystee there to feed him intell, he's woefully behind the times on the sea change that has occurred in the prison power structure. So behind he can't understand why his "safe place" is failing... because its not safe to talk there.

2. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I disagree with that article. The final scene was a bit of a contrivance, but it was an *earned* contrivance.

I do agree there was no reason for the Larry/Polly storyline to exist in the season. If it had any point at all it's to satirize the viewers.

3. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

One thing I didn't get, did Vee not recognize it as a prison van? It seemed she was looking to wave it down and grab a ride, but if she knew it was a prison van she would be hiding.

4. JanewayRulz!

I think she simply saw it as a generic white van since there are hundreds of thousands of them around the US.

Of course, you are right that she should have avoided all white vans like the plague because one of them could have been a van coming from the prison, but then again she may not have been in her right mind after crawling though the sewer and running through the cold woods in a wet/stinky coat.

5. teacake

It's interesting that Red never considers escaping that way. Not stupid I guess.

6. JanewayRulz!

:bolian:

IIRC Nicky told Morello she would get an extra 10 years tacked onto her sentence if she was caught "off campus".

7. lisaa6@gmail.co

lisaa6@gmail.co Lieutenant Red Shirt

the reason may be that Larry will come together again with piper and his "story between" belongs to the plot.

8. teacake

Piper is never going to be satisfied with Larry. She might hook up with him again for some stability though.

9. lisaa6@gmail.co

I would hope that a famous actress lives in a secured place and her dog too.
    I just :guffaw:because 1. the dogs name and 2. why he is mentioned in the order? Was he already stalked, too?
    Hope, he is not a pointer / hunting dog, because that would be even more :rommie:

In the second season the view gets on the guards, you see the affairs of them, one playing in a band, Fig and her gay hubby. They use of this is to "make them human".
    It's for sure a damm hard job, even more as inmates consider you always as a bad guy because you have to enforce the rules.

I just hope that the turning of Healy to "nice guy" with nearly ended marriage does not end in a hook-up. :vulcan:

10. teacake

I am sure there are good reasons. Perhaps the dog is walked by other people and this stalker has approached saying she knows the dog.

11. lisaa6@gmail.co

right, because once you got a female devil in the sack you dont take back a douchbag

12. lisaa6@gmail.co

13. JanewayRulz!

Complaints like these make me laugh.

http://www.complex.com/pop-culture/2014/07/orange-is-the-new-black-please-try-real-prison

Its a "TV" show about a female medium security prison, guys. You know, "camp cupcake", the lace where they put Martha Stewart, NOT Attica where they put Son of Sam.

Geez Louise. :rolleyes:

I have one complaint about this Q&A with Kimiko Glenn. :vulcan:

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2014...isons-sex-scenes-and-orange-is-the-new-black/

Brook wasn't a "sometimes annoying social activist". She was an ALWAYS ANNOYING supposed activist. :rommie:

Yael on Morello's back story.

http://www.ibtimes.com/orange-new-b...l-stone-reacts-morellos-shocking-past-1617660

An video interview with Laverne and Selenis.

http://www.vibe.com/article/orange-is-the-new-black-laverne-cox-selenis-leyva-interview

Selenis sees Matt and Pablo like brothers, or cousins (thou shalt NOT) while Laverne does not. :lol:

Black Cindy in season 3 by Taylor... the vid's not working for me. Is it working for you?

http://instagram.com/p/qAtdWdOyB8/

Girls just wanna have fun. :)

http://instagram.com/p/p8x-2yojRE/

14. JanewayRulz!

I know English isn't your first language, but I'm not sure what you are asking.

What does it say about a woman stalker?

About a woman stalking a woman?

About Taryn worrying over a stalker even though she's "just" a woman?

In answer to all three, I would remind you about an up and coming Latina musical star who was killed in 1995 by a woman she had befriended and who acted as the president of her fan club. :evil:

http://www.nydailynews.com/archives/news/selena-killer-30-years-article-1.703778

Remember, OitNB is a story about women criminals. They all weren't simply lead astray by their lesbian or heterosexual lovers. ;)

15. lisaa6@gmail.co

I would guess that the female stalker is gay.
    And since they were buddys bevore it might say that Taryn also like girls :) <-- this was what i wanted to say. It's nice to have not only gay writer, but gay castmembers.

Of course a female stalker can be scary, no doubt. But in statistic there are % much more man stalking and being violent than female.
    Unfortunatly you cant predict which "type" of stalker it is. Investigater do say that if the stalker is a former lover it is more likely getting violent.

The female are most of the time "just annoying".

However, i didnt mean to underestimate anyone.

In the linked case was embazzled money involved, other motive, this is not stalking but covering up / revenge for getting fired.

[/QUOTE]

I know English isn't your first language, but I'm not sure what you are asking.

What does it say about a woman stalker?[/QUOTE]

Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
  16. teacake

Lisa you can't make sexual preference assumptions over stalking and I'm not sure why you would want to. That you then jump to the idea that having a female stalker shows us Tarym might be gay is offensive. This has nothing to do with sexual preferences, it is a story about mental health issues.

I had this friend years ago that I tried to dump because she would not leave me alone and she then spent several years on low grade stalking of me. It was her personality, she did it with other people too. I am quite sure that if I had suddenly become famous during this time she would be selling a made up story about how we were best friends to tabloids.

And yeah JRulez that murder was terrible. I think a lot of stuff has happened recently that has made people more aware of stalking and to just be highly proactive in response and not think one kind of stalker is safer than another. It's bizarre, fixated behavior and you don't know where that will take a person. Remember Jeri Ryan didn't do cons for years because of the stalker she had, who was eventually imprisoned over stalking another (not famous) woman.

17. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Here's the thing about minimum security prison. Escaping is the easy part, it's then not getting caught that's the hard part. Hell, a senile old woman escaped. Red could leave the prison whenever she wants, but unless you've got the connections to ship you immediately to some tropical island.

Morello is one of the most complex characters, in that within the prison they make her one of the kindest most sympathetic characters. Just she has a psychological problem that makes her dangerous in specific situation.

I'm not sure I would describe Healy's actions toward the end of the season as 'Good' so much as 'Trying to be good'. Healy reminds me of Charles Foster Kane or Michael Scott. He wants to be loved but he wants to be loved on his own terms.

18. JanewayRulz!

I do remember that Ryan/stalker story.

I also remember a conversation my friend had with one of the Trek stars at a Trekkie convention (yes, we're vets having attended 6 together. She had heard the star mention her home was now outside a specific major east coast city. My friend grew up "outside" that same city and mentioned her town in the autograph line, wondering if that's where the star was now living. The star merely repeated "outside specific major east coast city" again, and my clueless overly friendly friend said "I grew up in X county, can you mention which county you're in?" :rolleyes:

At this point in her retelling the story to me, I just shook my head and intoned "stalkers" and my friend looked appropriately embarrassed as she nodded. Evidently stalkers had already narrowed the actress's new home to the right township and were prowling the streets to find the star's home. :eek:

I remember telling my friend that I was glad neither of us
    were famous... AFTER telling her in no uncertain terms NEVER to ask someone where they lived. :klingon: EVER!

19. teacake

It was an amazing scene to see her on trial for planting a car bomb to kill Christopher's girlfriend staring in absolute infatuation at Christopher as he gave evidence against her.
    He's no Gul Dukat which makes him interesting because a lot of people are like this, bumbling and needy and not getting ir right.

20. teacake