Why Kathryn Janeway is the BEST Star Fleet Captain... EVER!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by JanewayRulz!, May 30, 2013.

1. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

Q: Where's your stubbornness now, Picard, your arrogance? Do you still profess to be prepared for what awaits you?
    WORF: The Borg ship is re-establishing its tractor beam.
    RIKER: Lock on photon torpedoes.
    WORF: Yes, sir.
    DATA: Without our shields, at this range there is a high degree of probability that a photon detonation could destroy the Enterprise.
    RIKER: Prepare to fire.
    (Q swaps places with Data)
    Q: I'll be leaving now. You thought you could handle it, so handle it.
    PICARD: Q. End this.
    Q: Moi? What makes you think I am either inclined or capable to terminate this encounter?
    PICARD: If we all die, here, now, you will not be able to gloat. You wanted to frighten us. We're frightened. You wanted to show us that we were inadequate. For the moment, I grant that. You wanted me to say I need you. I need you!
    (With a snap of Q's fingers, the Enterprise goes whirling through space again)

Her ship is thrown 75,000 light years away from home, and she doesn't need Q to get her back, much less save her from the BORG! :bolian:

2. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

She could have got home in and instant if she'd only slept with Q.

But she wouldn't sacrifice her principals. "No fraternizing with omnipotent life-forms".

I bet Picard would have slept with Q if he was put in the same situation.

3. RXTT

RXTT Lieutenant Red Shirt

Janeway is the worst.

4. JohnChod

JohnChod Captain Captain

The Borg, by the time we get to Voyager, were a pale imitation of the foe originally introduced in The Next Generation. Of course, TNG itself started that spiral on both the small and large screens.

5. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just because you choose to walk instead of taking the bus doesn't make you better. ;)

You think after that silly Q civil war bit she'd at least -ask- considering next season she was so distressed at her crew's plight of being stranded because of her, she locked herself away.

6. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

It wasn't the sleeping with it was the breeding with she objected to. It's not like there's any court of law that could have even given her visitation rights to the resulting child. He was asking her to make a baby for him to give away.

I'm not sure Picard would have done it either.

7. Brit

Brit Captain Captain

Thanks, JanewayRulz, for starting this thread. And yes Janeway was a wonderful captain.

8. teacake

She is why I am here on this forum. You all have to be grateful to Janeway for my continuing presence among you.

9. JanewayRulz!

Yet ANOTHER reason why Janeway is THE BEST!

Speaking of reasons... here's 63 more.

I love #1! :p

http://www.lacarlotta.com/stl5.html

#21 just makes me chuckle. :lol:

And #36 makes me swoon. :drool:

10. AdmiralScreed

AdmiralScreed Captain Captain

You Janeway fans are so difficult to understand sometimes...:P

An addendum to my signature is in order......

11. Galekarens

Galekarens Commander Red Shirt

There are many, many Janeway fans, on Facebook, on Amazon, and on other sites. For me it's not that hard to understand that she is considered an iconic captain by many Trek fans, unless maybe one just doesn't want to. Hey, I didn't care for Sisko and Archer all that much; doesn't mean I think fans of those guys are so hard to understand. Everyone has their preferences and in Trek that sort of thing should not be considered strange or wacky, IMHO.

12. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

I'm trying not to get involved with these new "worst/best Janeway as Captain" threads...but I will say Voyager remains to be my favorite Trek series and I could probably count over 100 reasons why it appeals to me, but I won't because it's tedious and it's 12 AM. :borg:

To the poster of the other thread "Why Janeway is the Worst Captain" --> you referenced her behavior in "Equinox" as your main reason for her "instability" or whatever. For the record, in the 2nd part of "Equinox", even Janeway herself admits she went too far and she told Chakotay that he had good reason to stage a mutiny. She admitted her flaw, admitted she could have been wrong.

To the people who say they can't understand why someone would be a Janeway fan...I equally can't understand WHY someone would ever want to watch a "perfect person" on their TV every time they watch Star Trek...personally, I would rather watch a show that is more light-hearted, comedic, perhaps sometimes flawed, but retains enough of it's science fiction basis and humanity/morality base to be considered comparable to any other Trek series. The fact is that I simply enjoy watching Voyager more than the other series I have seen. I admire TNG and am rewatching it now actually. DS9 was absolutely amazing and had rich, wonderful characters and stories. But whenever I just want to be in my happy zone...I put on VOY.

Having a constantly even-tempered, clear-headed, picture perfect, non-emotive captain is entirely unrealistic ESPECIALLY when truly considering the insane situation Voyager was thrown into. Knowing that she chose to save the lives of the Ocampa and destroyed their only possible way home, she has lived with a constant feeling of guilt mixed with the feeling of knowing she did the right thing. But then again at times she doubts if she had. She was purposefully made to be flawed and real, but she performed to the best of her ability under the severe circumstances of being thrown to the other end of the galaxy....without sacrificing most of her principals. Were those principals bent from time to time? Yes. Was she perfect all the time? No. Nobody is. But do I respect her immensely and think she made a great captain? Yes.

To be short, I'm a very big fan and I don't truly care what people think. :biggrin: I will watch what makes me happy... :lol::lol:

13. teacake

I know. That's the point really, we all have our favorites. I've got no trouble understanding any o f them.

14. Captain Kathryn

For the record also, VOY has the largest quantity of fanfiction published on www.fanfiction.net out of every single Star Trek series.

Obviously it has a loyal fanbase.

I also can understand why anyone would like any of the captains. I, for one, like all of the ones I have watched. Do I have my personal fave? Sure. But they were all unique and interesting in their own way and each series was special.

15. AdmiralScreed

AdmiralScreed Captain Captain

If you couldn't tell from the face at the end of my first sentence, that comment was tongue and cheek. No, I don't personally like Jameway. I believe she took too many unnecessary risks, was written inconsistently, and was just an all around terrible captain who got her crew home on luck after passing up great opportunities to get everyone home safely. But if you like her, all the power to you! :bolian:

16. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Out of all the series Captain's, Janeway is third on my list:
    1. Sisko
    2. Picard
    3. Janeway
    4. Kirk
    5. Archer

She isn't even my favourite female Captain, that honour goes to Rachel Garrett.

I liked Janeway to begin with but after she became obsessed with Seven and started doing some really pretty crazy stuff, then I lost interest in her.

17. JanewayRulz!

18. Captain Kathryn

I love Janeway....but I am also a long time fan of Michael McKean.

So I can't hate on that episode....it has Janeway and McKean together. :adore:

Although I like McKean on VOY, I like his younger sexiness best:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 1, 2013
  19. Captain Kathryn

From your other link, Pirate Janeway is sexy!!! <3

20. JanewayRulz!

That Spalko is something, isn't she! :bolian: