Sayings that you hate now

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Miss Chicken, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Ood Sigma

Ood Sigma Commander Red Shirt

I've got two that are bugging me at the moment: "I know, right?" and "I'm not going to lie, ..." Both phrases drive me up the wall. It's probably because I've mostly heard them used in an arrogant context.

Bonus: Internet posts consisting of the single word "This." If you have nothing new to add, why bother posting? Or if you absolutely have to point out your agreement, why not say "I agree with you."?

2. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

This.

(Sorry. ;) )

3. Ood Sigma

Ood Sigma Commander Red Shirt

^ I'm not going to lie, I was absolutely 110% positive that someone would do that.

4. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

:lol:

5. Robert Maxwell

What can I say? YOLO!

6. Mary Ann

Mary Ann Knitting is honourable Admiral

Oh, man, I HATE this one. It's so incredibly patronising. More often than not the person spewing this nonsense has no idea what the intended recipient is going through.

7. Gul Re'jal

Gul Re'jal Commodore Commodore

Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space
    And when it's accompanied by its best friend "It will/is going to be OK, you'll see"... Oh, that could put me into a murderous mood. 1. You can't know that for sure; 2. It's not OK now; 3. Can you give me the date so that I know how long I am going to wait?; 4. And until then, shall I sit on the stairs and wait? (lovely, especially when your situation is serious, like lack of a job, or difficult housing situation, or debts, etc.)

It never cheered my up; it always made me feel me and my problems are being dismissed and not taken seriously.

8. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'll admit that my wife and I have said this on occasion. Sometimes they get you so frustrated that it's all you can say. Other times it's because you don't want to give the real reason because it's an inappropriate subject or something. And occasionally, you just don't know! :lol:

9. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

"no smoke without fire"
    Apart from the fact that apparently the person who coined that phrase never forgot a bunch of cookies in the oven it's also incredibly unfair as it implies rumours are always true. They aren't! And forgetting that can cause so much harm!

A close friend of mine was libeled badly on a message board: he was supposed to meet with a girl he had met online and at the last minute she got cold feet and decided to take the very next flight home again. She didn't tell my friend, though. He had no idea why she didn't turn up, got worried and had her be paged at the airport. So they finally met after all, talked and left quite amicably.
    Later, however, she spread the rumour that he had attacked her and she'd had to call the airport security. Some fools believed it and my friend got banned by the board administration. He registered under a different name to defend himself and immediately got banned again. After a few rounds of this he was so furious that he started trolling wherever he could. Not really surprising.
    8 years after the incident the girl finally admitted to the libel but it was too late: my friend has a bad rep, suffers from persecution mania (he received death threats from board members!) and cathegorically refuses to post anywhere. A big loss as he was a rather interesting poster.

And all of this because a few people believed in this "no smoke without fire" nonsense. It makes me so furiuous!!

10. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

I have always hated "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger."
    (cue crappy-ass pop song)
    I call BULLSHIT. What doesn't kill you leaves you scarred and limping; don't try to sell it like it's a good thing. It's people trying to make suffering sound like a good thing and it's not. That's why we call it "suffering" and not "fun." If I get hit by a truck or get cancer, that doesn't make me stronger. It weakens me physically and maybe even mentally or emotionally. If I survive it, then good for me but don't sell me the "see how strong you are now?" bullshit.

Just acknowledge that I suffered and say, "Gee, that happened to you? That really sucks," because, yeah, it does.

11. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

I hated that one, and the truncated "because" or "just because". Then again, my favorite question was "why?" so I got this on from a lot of adults.

I hated kids and people who over use the word "like" in place of "um" in their pauses in speech. We had one girl in my grade talk like that from around third till tenth grade. Like was like every other word. It was like a total pain in the like ass to like listen to her like ramble on like that.:brickwall::censored:

12. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

I hate the "everything happens for a reason" line, too. What bullshit.

13. Robert Maxwell

That tends to go along with lines like "you shouldn't go against nature." It's ultimately a superstitious point-of-view that there is a way things "ought to be" and we shouldn't mess with or question it.

14. XFozzboute

XFozzboute Captain In Memoriam

I hate "Love conquers All" and " Violence never solved anything."

15. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

Anyone who cites "The Universe." The Universe is not interested in you. It will not give you things if you wish for them. If you "put it out into the universe" nobody cares. I know you want to believe in magic or god without looking like you believe in magic or god, but you just sound like an obnoxious hippie.

16. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree with you as far as the physical aspects are concerned. However, mentally/emotionally that saying is true. I got bullied as a kid (my parents were teachers so the kids bullied me for being evil's offspring and the teachers buillied me so that nobody could say they treated teacher kids better). As an adult, I was badly bullied as well and even suffered a depression. As my job is rather dangerous plus requires me to drive a lot, I couldn't take any medication (it influences your reaction time) and had to get over the depression with tons of chocolate and long chats with my friends.
    It's true, I got a few scars (and a few lbs :D) and I am perhaps more touchy than most, but on the whole it left me a very much stronger personality. To my utter surprise my dad told me the other day he always admired how I deal with every problem without help (while my brother is just the opposite). I was really speechless. I'd never thought my dad accepted me, let alone admire me.

17. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

^I think it is true for some and untrue for others. Emotional trauma can be as devastating as physical trauma. I think that in many ways, emotional trauma I have suffered has made me stronger, some of it has weakened me, though, and added nothing to my character.

18. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

Exactly!

All that does is tell the person who is hurting that you don't care about their pain or think it's "good enough."

My most hated saying is, "Sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me."

Wrong.

Sometimes, it's the things people say to you that hurt even worse than a physical injury because you have to live with them forever.

19. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

Wow...that's pretty bad for your parents not to inform you at a proper age (much younger than 18, for sure!) and let you be a real partner in your own accommodations!

20. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

I was just about to post this one.