Mission: Impossible (original series)...

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Warped9, Jul 1, 2011.

1. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

^^ Don't get me wrong, I quite enjoyed the gimmick, but I wasn't sure whether such a setup could actually work. I know gold is a soft metal so it's just (remotely) within the realm of possibility.

I read some of your blog reviews. I, too, often try to keep an eye out for Star Trek tie-ins, most particularly the guest actors.

2. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

^Personally, I think the melted gold would have coated the floor with a thin layer that never would have fully drained.

But suspension of disbelief is VERY important in this show! :lol:

3. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Well it didn't completely drain so that's why the device then spun out grey paint that covered the remaining gold film on the floor and walls. Mind you it's nice that they had the exact same colour of paint and that it did a perfect job. :lol:

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I figured it was plaster rather than paint.

5. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

You could be right. I wasn't sure what it was other than it did a good job and dried quickly enough.

6. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Ah! I'd forgotten that bit!

7. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I've just watched S3's "The Exchange" where Cinnamon gets caught by "the other side" and gets interrogated. I found this one particularly enjoyable. I liked how in counterpoint to her always coming across as so classy we finally get to see that she's also tough in her own right. And yet she doesn't perform any of the "action girl" stunts of today. Even when she imagined she could here Jim Phelps familiar voice something in her still refused to give in.

The biggest issue I had with this one was at the end when they finally exchange for her. I thought it was kind of a ridiculous move to have the entire IM force out in the open where anyone with a camera (or a good eye and memory) could see all of them and later start trying to put names to faces.

I like all the characters in each their own way. I really like Barney, but Martin Landau steals the show so often as Rollin Hand. His impersonations kill me every time. :lol:

8. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

Bah. Mission: Impossible only got great when Tom Cruise took the helm and actually made it watchable.

Before Tom Cruise lent his talents to this franchise, it was Mission:Try to Last Through Another Awful Episode.

The new trailer for Tom Cruise's newest MI installment looks to be quite stellar. No surprise there as Tom Cruise is in the business of making stellar movies.

If only Tom Cruise would make this a series on television like its unecessary and boring predecessor was, then we'd get to see Tom Cruise every week, and I think that's a good thing. Tom Cruise bringing intrigue and excitement into our homes, week after week, like only Tom Cruise can. Imagine that.

Tom Cruise.

9. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

:barf: The M:I films were crap and I can't stand any of them. Films targeted for someone with severe ADD.

10. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member

Some people thought slavery was cool too. No big deal. :shrug:

11. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

You came in here just to take a shot at a series where obviously those posting here were fans of the show. That's trolling in my book. You shouldn't be surprised if someone takes offense at that, particularly the original poster. This thread is about the original series and those who liked it and why.

12. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

The one where Cinnamon was captured was one of the few that I actually remember from first run. I guess her pain, and calling out "Jim" by his real name, yet being together enough to hold back any more info, even impressed my 10-year-old self.

13. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

But... you're the original poster, referring to yourself in the third person. Why?

Granted, Garak probably could have been more diplomatic about it, but then so could you.

That said, he's just as entitled to express his love of the Tom Cruise Mission: Impossible films as you are to do so re: the original. Not seeing why it's such a big deal.

14. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I think I made my point. The movies had been mentioned before with no fuss from anyone, but no one was taking shots at either the original series (which the thread is about) or the films.

I just thought the remark about the series was uncalled for. The series was the original template, the source materiel which some (including me) feel the films didn't respect. To say the series was essentially worthless until the Cruise films remade the idea was something I found offensive. It's really no different than someone saying Star Trek TOS was worthless until Abrams rebooted it with ST09. Something like that will tick someone off. In this case it was me.

15. Christopher

Disagreeing about the series vs. the movies is one thing, but that comment the other poster made comparing people who liked the show to people who approved of slavery was beyond the pale.

16. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Yeah, in all fairness, if I were going to be offended by anything said in this thread, it would be that.

But then, I liked the original TV series and the films, and I tend not to let what other people like detract from what I myself enjoy, so I'm probably not the person to go to on this. :shrug:

17. Christopher

I just watched "The Freeze," where they trick Donnelly Rhodes into thinking he's been cryogenically frozen and reawakened in the fabulous future world of 1980. The fake future included what looked uncannily like a modern flatscreen TV, complete with video cartridges. But the laugh-out-loud moment was when Dr. Rollin told Nurse Cinnamon to administer "5 ccs of cordrazine." :lol:

18. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

The old show was a little too formulaic for me but my love of Peter Graves would get me through it if I had to watch. I loved the first Tom Cruise movie but the ones after left me shrugging.

19. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

This is one of the few episodes that I have clearer memories of from all those years ago. The "futuristic" cars of 1980 kill me since they looked more like the '50's era of what folks thought future cars might look like. :lol:

20. nightwind1

nightwind1 Commodore Commodore

I liked the episode where they went to the foreign country with the badly spelled signs and tricked some guy using sets and masks. :lol: