"Defiance" worth it?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Danoz, Oct 4, 2013.

1. Danoz

Danoz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Want to start a new show... anyone seen this one? The quick summary looks promising and I want to know if it's worth starting!

2. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I burned it all to DVD as it was airing, and tried watching it when it finished up. I got a few episodes in, and lost interest. I'm going to try again though, before I give up on it completely

3. Danoz

I've been working a ton and would love to have a new shot to watch an episode an evening for awhile.

Cool -- I'll give the pilots a shot tonight.

4. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

The first several episodes are world-building, where you get to gradually learn what this transformed Earth is now about and get to know the people (and aliens) who live on it. By the time of the first season finale, seeds that were planted here and there since the first episode come to fruition and it suddenly becomes an all-new ballgame.

I'm not really a big fan of post-apocalyptic stuff, but since I was born and raised in St. Louis, I gave it a shot. I liked it enough to actually be looking forward to season two.

5. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's awful.

The beginning isn't good, and it just gets worse.

You want a new show?

Orphan Black.

6. Sindatur

Heh, my main interest in it (other than the fact it's SciFi) is Fionnula Flanagan. It's worth trying it out to see Julie Benz, but, Fionnula is DA BOMB!!! (And who knows how many more roles we'll be able to see her in, she is almost 72 afterall, so she may not want to be a Main Cast character in a future show)

7. Guy Gardener

72 isn't old, at least not how she does 72.

8. Sindatur

This is true, and she may be going just as strong at 95, I'm just saying, 72 is past regular retirement age, so she may want to some time

9. Guy Gardener

The grand children are all grown up, and the great grand children know who she is, but if she wants to make an impact on her as yet unborn great great grand children, well then she has to hold on for another 20 years or sign up to a new TV show that's going to be syndicated forever.

I do get your point though. :)

10. Danoz

I started the pilot and it feels like it's going to be slow.

I'll tell you what I'm enjoying against my better judgement, is Revolution -- even with the one-dimensional characters I find I enjoy it.

Honestly, I'm either working or getting to work 12 hours a day. I just want some science fiction candy nonsense for a short time an evening.

11. Sindatur

Have you tried Eureka and Warehouse 13? I pooh-poohed them, when they started as being too light and fluffy, but, I recently watched them (Eureka is done, WH13 has another 6 episode season coming to wrap it up) and found they are both extremely fun Series

12. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

I watched maybe 4 or so episodes when it was on air, but lost interest. I might go back see if it is worth watching. Now other things are more important.

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I enjoyed it. It does take a little while to really get going, but once it does it's pretty good.

14. Guy Gardener

Until the ridiculous final episode?

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think so. All I remember was that I never stopped liking it. I honestly have a lot of trouble with memory, I can't really remember anything more than my basic feelings about a show after it's been off the air for more than a month or two.

16. Guy Gardener

I'm the same.

It comes from watching way too much.

Cramming endless reels of mindless bosh inside such an enclosed space.

However... If I rewatch something, suddenly I know every line a second before the bastard on my TV opens their mouth.

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

That might be some of it, but it's more than just TV stuff for me though.

18. Kosh Naranek

Kosh Naranek Captain Captain

I started watching it and forgot about it after ep 4 or 5. I finally just deleted it off my DVR and decided to start watching Copper.

And...I agree with whoever nominated Orphan Black. It was fantastic.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  19. Guy Gardener

Something else I recently discovered from yor... The Starlost.

I'm also watching Deep Water Black for the first time on Youtube, but I waited too long.

My constant sick thoughts are age inappropriate for a teenaged Nicole DeBoer.

(0r she was 27, and it only seemed like she was still 14.)

Defiance was guaranteed a second season because of the billion dollar game industry underpinning it... However, the game is underwhelming and financially under preforming, so the only way the tv show is getting a third seaosn is on it's own merits, becuase there may not be a Defince the game in a years time.

20. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

It might do that for you. I kept watching it because it was full of aliens, not one alien enemy but alien characters. Also I enjoyed the town setting visually. It is REALLY bad in places but sometimes there's a good scene or attractive moment.