Is the Vanguard series over? (Possible spoilers)

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by jstern2, Feb 15, 2011.

1. jstern2

jstern2 Ensign Red Shirt

I just finished Path of Disharmony and was wondering what the effect on Vanguard, if any, would be. I know Paths of Disharmony didn't feature any of the Vanguard characters, but the story's use of the meta-genome seemed to answer the question of the mysterious historical importance of the meta-genome that was one of the first important questions that helped drive the narrative (although, the story has definitely evolved beyond that). It's probably my favorite book-only series, and it would be a shame if it ended so unceremoniously. I know there is a short story collection coming out this year with (at least?) one story that's supposed to push the narrative forward somewhat (or wrap up the storyline, maybe?), but are there plans for the story to continue after that? Thanks for any info.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  2. bfollowell

bfollowell Captain Captain

Well, that's not too surprising. While some non-human characters or very young characters might still be alive keep in mind that PoD takes place 80-100 years after the events of the Vanguard series.

The anthology you're referring to is entitled Declassified and is coming sometime in June. There is also an as-yet unnamed Vanguard novel scheduled for December. You can read some very early, and likely incorrect, information and see an early version of the cover art here:

http://catalog.simonandschuster.com...pn=&ed=&showcart=&camefrom=&find=star trek&a=

I hope you find this helpful. I'm extremely anxious to see the Vanguard saga continue.

- Byron

3. David Mack

David Mack Writer Rear Admiral

No, no, no. It's not over yet. Just keep buying them and we'll keep writing them.

4. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

Thank you very much for the incorrect topic. Here I thought we'd have spoilers for Vanguard and instead we get a spoiler for Paths of Disharmony. Well done. Way to go. Can we have more? :sigh:

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

^Yeah, someone might want to put a spoiler warning in the first post.

6. Bishop76

Bishop76 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You do know that the meta-genome has been described numerous times as having several potential applications, this seeming to be only one of them, right? I mean, you are catching the references that it's probably tied in to Project Genesis and other things as well, right? This one application of the Taurus Meta-Genome hardly ends the story of Vanguard...

7. shanejayell

shanejayell Captain Captain

It's been out for a bit, dude. Chill. And it DID say Spoilers in the title.

In my opinion this in no way 'ends' what they can do with Vanguard. For all we know Vanguard may expand beyond the original storyline... and in some ways it already HAS.

8. sfroth

sfroth Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Yeah, it does say "spoilers" - and very clearly has the title for a different series in it. I suppose those of us who don't read at the speed others do are just supposed to magically know that it means spoilers for the latest book? Why is it so hard to just note what the spoilers are for?

9. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

FWIW There will be an interview with Dayton on Unreality SF sometime soon, where he talks a bit about the stories in Declassified and drops a hint about the background for the following novel. :devil:

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sweet. Any Vanguard new is good Vanguard news (unless it says the series is ending, then it's bad).

11. jstern2

jstern2 Ensign Red Shirt

Thanks for all the responses. I've sorta been out of the Star Trek book game for a year or two and am just now catching up so when I was reading all the meta-genome stuff in PoD, I thought maybe I missed an announcement that the series was over or something.

I apologize if my spoiler warning in the title wasn't enough. I tried to do the in-text spoiler thingy but couldn't figure out how (my bad, like I said I've been out of the Star Trek world for a year or two so I haven't been on this board in a while). But, I also really don't feel like I spoiled anything other than Paths of Destruction mentions the meta-genome, which shouldn't really ruin anyone's appreciation of PoD, but if it does I sincerely apologize.

12. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Write your post, then highlight the spoilerish parts. Then click on the last icon above the text window (Smilie with x as mouth).

A pop up appears where you can insert what the spoiler is about. Confirm with OK and you're finished.

13. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

:rommie: :rofl:

14. sfroth

sfroth Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Please in the future remember to indicate what a spoiler is for when you think there's something being spoiled. A post could say SPOILER WARNING! DON'T READ THIS!!! over and over, but unless it tells what's being spoiled, there's no way to know whether or not it's going to spoil something the reader hasn't read.

Thanks!

15. nickyboy

nickyboy Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

No problem

16. JWolf

Can we geta moderator to put in the spoiler code in the first post? Or at least change the topic to what the spoiler is really about. That way, others won't have Paths spoiled.

17. JWolf

Keep up the quality and we'll keep buying. :techman:

18. jstern2

jstern2 Ensign Red Shirt

Again, I apologize for not being more specific about spoilers in the title, but I mention Paths of Disharmony in the first line of my post, so I feel like changing the title of the thread to "Is the Vanguard series over? (Paths of Disharmony spoilers)" instead of the parenthetical "(Possible Spoilers)" really doesn't do anything and actually makes the title of the thread more spoilery. Also, I don't get into specifics at all about what happens in PoD, just that it mentions the meta-genome. I don't even mention the application of the meta-genome in the book. Again, if I ruined anybody's reading experience I truly apologize, but maybe we should all
    take a deep breath - in through the nose and out through the mouth - and realize the world is going to be okay.

Done and done - I just preordered the Vanguard books already on Amazon. Like I said earlier Vanguard is my favorite Star Trek book series (and you are one of my favorite writers), so I'm very, very excited to hear this. Also, thanks to everyone for all the replies and information, you guys are great sources of knowledge, and again if my spoiler-warning skills are inadequate, I apologize.

19. LightningStorm

LightningStorm The Borg King Commodore

No, because I agree with this (and from what I know of Rosalind she probably does too):

*emphasis mine*

Also, while I saw the requests to change the thread title here, really the way to actually bring something to the attention of moderators is to hit the notify mod button, not just posting in the thread. While I endeavor to read as much of the two forums here I moderate as I can, I don't get to all of the threads all of the time, and neither does Rosalind.

20. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Except the notify button is hard to recognize as such, since it doesn't say "Notify," it's just a little red-and-white triangle tucked away in the corner. I never even knew there was a notify button until a mod mentioned it in a recent thread. Maybe a board redesign would clear things up?