STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 18, 2013.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

18.8%
  2. A

20.6%
  3. A-

13.2%
  4. B+

11.1%
  5. B

7.9%
  6. B-

4.1%
  7. C+

5.7%
  8. C

5.0%
  9. C-

3.5%
  10. D+

1.5%
  11. D

1.6%
  12. D-

1.3%
  13. F

5.7%
  1. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

But that is just as much of a judgement call as Gaz's opinion is.

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Maybe.

3. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Who are we, you or I, to tell Gaz that they're missing the point? What is the point?

4. BillJ

I tend to think that when someone says its a good movie but bad Star Trek, they're looking for a reason not to like the movie.

I can dislike something for no reason at all, I don't need to try and make myself look unbiased. :shrug:

5. Ln X

Ln X Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Personal preferences you see. Sometimes you can appreciate artforms through different lenses. In my casual movie lense STID is a decent film. But in my trek lense STID is a mediocre Trek film, my only expectation for Star Trek is for it to be better and more refined than the rest of the films and series out there.

STID's biggest crime is that it can be lumped quite easily with Iron Man 3, Man of Steel and all the other summer blockbusters out there. These films share a lot of things, just not the titles or the names of characters/locations. So yeah gagomg has a point about STID being a decent movie (when compared to what is out there) but a poor Trek film.

6. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

It's poor Star Trek because it was popular, critically acclaimed, and has become a big summer $$$ maker by people who don't identify themselves as diehard truTrekkies.

7. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Except on how they were received by both professional and public movie-goers. And that's a pretty big exception...

8. BillJ

Silly person! People's taste and reactions do not reflect on the quality of Star Trek Into Darkness. Only those virgins still living in their parents basements are allowed to pass such judgements. :rolleyes:

9. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

10. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Really? People still use the "virgin in the basement" insult?

11. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

12. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah seriously. Not all of us have parents with finished basements!

I mean, come on now.

13. BillJ

With some of the nit-picking that is going on over this movie, the "virgin in the basement" mental image seemed apt. So sue me.

14. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Believe it or not, I'm watching the movie for the first time right now.

15. BillJ

Personally, I think it's a fun movie that has some flaws. Your Mileage May Vary. :techman:

16. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

Now it's out on DVD, I'm hearing a lot of people talking about it again and the consensus is the same as last time - very good movie, good plot. The only complaints seem to be coming from Trek nerds who want to cry about it not being real Trek.

17. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Yeah, I think I mentioned it earlier, but having had the chance to watch it again (I picked it up on DVD after all. I couldn't wait), it is a rather well assembled film, for something that is supposed to be an action/blockbuster. It's fun science fiction, with a dash of color, and a good, solid commentary on current themes. To me, that's quintessential Trek.

18. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

I've got my gripes with some of the story choices they made, but nothing to the point that it hurts my enjoyment of the movie--certainly nothing that stands out unless I stop and think about it.

If I was being hyper critical of the movie, I could tear it to shreds. But I can do that with just about any Star Trek movie--or movies in general. And, frankly, that fun from time to time, but it's not fun to be in the mindset 24/7 when it comes to a movie.

19. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I prefer to nitpick-to-death a movie I love. If I don't like a movie, I just don't watch it. Seems the logical thing to do. Now, I do tear down movies when people insist such-and-such movie has no plot holes/is superior to another movie in a series, because that's fun, but it's not malevolent in nature.

20. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

Yes, I can not for the life of me understand the "it's not star trek" stuff. It's more Star Trek than a lot of Star Trek!