‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JoeZhang, Jul 20, 2013.

1. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I think they'll almost have to electronically alter Affleck's voice as well. Because it's just way too high and light for Batman, and I can't see him being able to deepen it much on his own.

Unless he starts smoking 20 packs a day before now and then or something.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Nobody said Batman has to be a baritone or a bass. That's just what we're used to. If Bruce Wayne were a tenor, that wouldn't have led to him going, "I must become a champion of justice to avenge my parents murder -- oh, but wait, my voice isn't deep enough, so I guess I'll just endow a charity for crime victims instead." Batman is originally a comic-book character. He has no specific, defined voice, and could sound like anything.

Indeed, there have been multiple comics storylines in which Dick Grayson has replaced Bruce Wayne as Batman and few people have been able to tell the difference -- even though Batman is usually cast as a baritone and Robin as a tenor. Screen versions are interpretations, and they can be reinterpreted.

Besides, lots of screen tough guys have had relatively high voices, such as Clint Eastwood or Lee Majors. So Batman shouldn't need a basso growl in order to come off as tough and menacing.

3. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

And lets not forget, Clooney didn't make an effort to disguise his voice at all ;)

4. Chrono85

Chrono85 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I did not really like the heave-smoker, scratchy sound of the Batman voice in the Nolan movies. It made my eyes water, and was hard to listen to :) I did enjoy the movies, but I always thought that part was actually kind of cheesy.

5. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

I just wonder if the "inner turmoil, repressed rage behind the smile", is something Nolan wanted in his Batman Begins star.

Hard to believe that this is what he wanted for BB yet settled for Christian Bale who has none of this. But I do also believe that after Batman and Robin the Batman role was no longer coveted (among A list actors) like it was when Tim Burton started looking for his star. So maybe Bale was as good as it got back then.

6. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

So the Wes Bentley dude lost out on both Batman and Spider-man? Tough break.

7. davejames

I'm all for new interpretations, and am not asking for a Batman voice as deep and low as the one used in BTAS or in the new CG cartoon (which I frankly find to be a little too deep). But I still think the character requires something at least as deep as Keaton or Clooney's Batman voice, if we're ever going to take him seriously as a threat or equal to Cavill's Superman.

Affleck's voice can't even get down that low.

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Again, why does it have to be exclusively about depth? There have been tenor action heroes, as I said. Not to mention really tough people in real life with tenor voices, like Muhammad Ali. Whether Batman is a tenor, baritone, or bass has nothing to do with whether he sounds appropriately strong or intimidating. It can be done with the right style of performance.

Here's a suggestion: Watch the New Batman Adventures episodes featuring Nightwing. Loren Lester is a tenor, but he used a lower, rougher, more serious delivery as Nightwing than he had when playing Robin in B:TAS.

9. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

It's been a long time since the one time I saw the film...how was his Daredevil voice?

10. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Clooney didn't have a Batman voice, he just spoke normally when in costume.

11. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

No, I "got" what it was saying but it's still a false thing to say. Affleck may have been fantastic in Argo (even if you describe his character like you would Batman) that doesn't mean people should automatically accept him as Bruce Wayne/Batman. Affleck just doesn't fit the idea people have of Batman and let's face it, Affleck still has a LOT of schlock in his past (I again cite his "teeth acting" in Armageddon and pretty much any scene with emotion in there) and the albatross around his neck with a DD mask on. So, I say people are rightfully bothered by Affleck being put in the role.

12. Chrono85

I'm not really sure what you mean about Affleck not being a good fit for Batman. You do all realize that it's acting right? You don't need to literally bring Bruce Wayne to life and cast him as Batman. Remember that before Batman, Michael Keaton was Beetlejuice...

13. davejames

Not great, but then that was the least of that movie's problems.

They actually aired it on cable a couple nights ago (probably because of all the Batman hype), and the scene with the CG Daredevil and Bullseye leaping around the church was even more laughably bad than I remembered.

14. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Mind. Blown.

:rolleyes:

"Not a good fit" means that the person's persona does not strike you as being right to play the role. Regardless of how this thing you call "acting", was it? Works. Acting doesn't mean that a person has the look or persona to play a role. Which is where most people, self included, seem to stand on Affleck. He doesn't seem to "fit" as a Batman.

I mean, hey, Robert Downey, Jr. is a good, famous, actor but I don't think he'd be a good fit to play Scarlett O'Hara in a "Gone With the Wind" remake.

15. Chrono85

You are going to define what you mean by 'persona' in this context. Are you speaking of the quality of his acting? His height, eyes, voice? Then describe how your definition would affect his ability to play a convincing Batman.

16. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

He's playing Batman not Ben Affleck. His persona isn't relevant. His look is fine for playing a good looking guy, as he is a good looking guy.

17. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

It's funny you mention RDJr in this context because this is precisely what his character from that Ben Stiller movie a few years back was spoofing.

18. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I just saw a headline on a newsfeed saying that Bryan Cranston will be playing Lex Luthor, but now I can't seem to find it. Stand by...

ETA: Annnd confirmation! Not the link I originally saw, but confirmation nevertheless.

A six picture deal! WB seems to be seriously committing themselves to a DC Cinematic Universe. Good on them! And Matt Damon as Aquaman?:lol:

19. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Not sure I would call rumors taken from a poorly written comic book website as conformation.

20. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

It's not confirmed until we get a press release from WB.:p