what do people want star trek 3 to be like

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by tmosler, Jun 17, 2013.

1. tmosler

tmosler Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

So its been a few weeks since star trek into darkness was released and most fans liked it (like i did ) but many hated it such with the star trek 2009. So I have heard what people dislike or like about the movie but I started this thread to see what people would like changed in star trek 3. I know a lot of the fans who dislike the reboot dont like jj abrams directing so now that hes leaving what do people think the new director should do differently?

2. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

I liked the 2009 movie. I thought Into Darkness was flat and meandered quite a bit, full of plot holes and catered for homages to past movies rather than doing something new.

I want a Klingon war for ST3.

3. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

Nonexistent.

--Sran

4. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

5. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

I want it to be like Bono dressed as a Barnum and Bailey master of ceremonies in a Bugatti Veyron whipping donuts in the Sahara.

Layers of awesome.

6. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

People wanted Khan, and Khan turned out to be the weak link in the movie. So now I want them to ignore what people want.

7. chardman

chardman Vice Admiral In Memoriam

-Brett- and a few noisy others didn't want Khan, and yet Khan has turned out to be one of the best screen villains in recent screen history, and most of the audience members who've been interviewed about it cite both Khan and the actor who played him, as virtually making the movie. So from now on, I want tptb to continue to ignore what Trekkies like -Brett- want.

8. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

You want all new stuff! No more rehashes!
    You want them to rehash stuff from DS9!

Make up your mind:p

9. Captain Clark Terrell

Except that the Khan of 2013 didn't compare to the Khan of 1982. People who think Cumberpatch is the greatest thing since sliced bread only do so because he's a recent character portrayal.

--Sran

10. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

No.

Cumberbatch is a far more versatile and talented actors than Montalban was. I quite enjoy WOK and I remember seeing it at the cinema in 1982. Was watching TOS for about a decade by then. And I still prefer 2013 Khan to 1982/1967 Khan. So your attempt to speak for more than yourself fails (as it does all the other tiresome times some posters here do so).

As for what I'd like in the next film? More of the same in terms of fun and entertainment. As for specifics--something unknown that may or may not be hostile that forces the crew to work with an enemy (doesn't matter which one) to resolve the problem. Allows for action, adventure, exploration, a bit of philosophy and a less earth-centric story (a minor gripe I have with the two films so far). I also want another mid-stream opening adventure--it's the best way, in a movie series, to suggest a broader background for the characters.

11. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

If the next film is the last one from Bad Robot, I want them to pull out all the stops.

Bring on the Borg.

12. Captain Clark Terrell

Because you say so. End of discussion.

--Sran

13. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

From what I gathered, people EXPECTED Khan, but didn't neccessarily WANT Khan.

Now let's not shit on the actor just to elevate some film. For a hispanic actor born in the 1920s, Montalbans body of work in American TV and film is absolutely incredible.

14. Captain Clark Terrell

Absolutely. Most people I talked to were hoping for a villain- any villain- who wasn't Khan.

--Sran

15. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Most people I talked too didn't care who the villain was as long as the movie was good. :shrug:

16. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

The "People wanted"/"what people want" thing is sort of annoying, but nonspecific enough in most cases not to be a major problem. Could have been better-phrased, though.

The "-Brett- and a few noisy others"/"what Trekkies like -Brett- want" is quite specific and unnecessarily personal. chardman, you really ought to know better than to take pokes like that, and I'd like not to see anything of the sort again.

17. LobsterAfternoon

LobsterAfternoon Commander Red Shirt

I'd like to see something set in deep-space - no trips to Earth plz.

18. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

People wanted Khan? Most dudes here desperately wanted to believe the bad guy was anyone but Khan (Gary Mitchel, Garth, etc), despite all the evidence to the contrary.

19. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Glad you see it my way, then. Excellent.
    I was not "shitting on" Montalban. If anything, I was "shitting on" the tiresome efforts made by some posters to speak on behalf of others when they clearly lack the mandate to do so. That is something I will always rebut when I encounter it.

20. Theonethatis

Theonethatis Commander Red Shirt

Lots of heart.