Smallville 8-2 "Plastique" - Discuss/Grade <Spoiler>

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by nx1701g, Sep 25, 2008.

?

Grade Plastique

1. SUPER

5.1%
  2. Above Average

38.5%
  3. Average

46.2%
  4. Below Average

7.7%
  5. BIZARRO

2.6%
  1. the Dagman

the Dagman Commodore Commodore

No one noticed that Clark was sporting the "S" shaped curl when he was carrying Tess away from the bus? His hair wasn't greased back, but you could actually see the curl.

Clark is actually starting to act like Superman. It wasn't an outstanding episode, but it does feel like the show is headed in the right direction. Next week we are revisiting Green Arrow's origin which actually HAS been told before. Two years ago during one of the Smallville Legends ad campaigns which aired during the commercial breaks was where they first told the story of Ollie getting marooned and having to learn archery. In fact, I found the first episode of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGlSRpeRR0k&feature=related

You can see the entire series on the season 6 set.

2. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hmmm... I don't think recycling freak-of-the-week plots and look-how-evil-I-am characters is considered "going green."

3. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Okay...that's not a complete thought there. :p What do you hope about the rumor?

4. MeanJoePhaser

MeanJoePhaser Admiral

Definatey time to recast, maybe an older Lex from the future, that's where he disappeared to.

5. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

Pleasantly surprised I was, I had low hopes for this season, but this episode felt more like "Superman" than anything else previously.

The only thing that really bugs me is no suite and or glasses as a disguise. Clark runs off to go save people, but looks exactly the same, so everyone will recognize him! This is a real problem for me. If we are going to have clark running off to save the people of metropolis, he needs a disguise.

6. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Presumably he realizes this and in a future episode considers it.

7. Jimilu

Jimilu Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I get it! That's why he seemed so familiar! I spent hours playing that game.

8. adv1701

adv1701 Commander Red Shirt

They've already done away with no tights rule(Green Arrow),when will they lose no flights. He should have figured out how to do that by now,or remeber how to do it.

9. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

The "no tights, no flights" rule was made in regards to Clark, meaning Clark wouldn't fly or wear the costume. He hasn't worn the costume, so the "no tights" part of the rule hasn't been broken.

10. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

This is going to come up in a future episode (as Trekker says).

11. blockaderunner

blockaderunner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Careful, those Trek fans who have zero sense of humor will hang you in effigy for making fun of their religion.

12. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

^ True. Then again most of them I call friends so maybe they won't hurt me... too badly.

13. I think the story really isn't suited to having the tradition clark-kent-glasses-costumed-superman disguise. We can suspend disbelief when you start out a movie or something wtih that conceit, but 8 years of having everyone interact with Clark, and then not realize its him when he looks exactly the same, just doesn't fly.

They should just call it a re-imagining and call it a day. in other words, no suit, "Smallville's Superman" is basically what Smallville is at this stage, everyone knows Clark (sans glasses), but there's this mystery being that's out there saving people, who always speeds off before people can idenitfy him.. the newspapers call himl Superman but rarely ever see. follow more the post-crisis line of thought with Lois getting romantic with Clark instead of pining after Superman. In the very last episode, he could put on the suit and 'come out' so to speak as a hero. Yes, ok his secret identity would probably be compromised, but the show would be over so the writers dont have to deal with it.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2008
  14. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

You know, as the seasons went by, there was a constant massive land shift and Smallville kept getting closer and closer to Metropolis, to the point where Chloe could commute to work. Now it's so close you can have a character in Smallville call it Metropolis.

Maybe when Clark goes off to save people, his disguise will be glasses and a nerdy stature.

15. Othello

Othello Commodore Commodore

I liked the epiode. It was good but not great. Like the little homages to Superman lore like the phone booth throughout the episode. I geeked out at the end as I instantly thought of the Legion of Doom. I have a feeling there will be quite a few "mark/geek out" moments like the phone booth, Legion of Doom, etc this year. I still miss Lex and Lionel quite a bit but am encouraged by the first two episodes.

Next week looks cool as a Green Arrow origin story.

16. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

I don't know how some people can call themselves trek fans and not worship at the altar of Roddenberry! ;):lol:

17. the Dagman

the Dagman Commodore Commodore

Puh-leeze people.

The solution to this problem is so obvious. This is a wholly separate version of Superman. Just call this world Earth-CW and bear in mind that this world's Superman will have to wear a mask when he is in uniform. It will likely look very much like Warrior Angel's. Yes, I remember Clark saying he doesn't like masks. But that doesn't change the reality of his situation. Unless he suddenly develops the power of mass hypnosis and alters the perceptions of everyone he has ever met to believe he has always worn glasses. And even then, with all the times that Clark has been in newspapers sans glasses his cover would get blown pretty quickly. A mask added to the Superman costume is the easiest way out.

18. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It was a pretty good episode.

Though dear old Clark there seems to care a lot for his friends and strangers but really doesn't give a damn about family...
    Has he even thought about where his cousin Kara may be ?:p

Oh and I hope we will not have a Jimmy-Chloe-Doomsday love triangle this season...Those triangles have gotten really boring

19. Lookingglassman

Lookingglassman Admiral Admiral

It wasnt all that great. Another meteor freak story. Ho hum. The only good part was the phone booth part. I was surprised none of the bus victims or spectators reacting to Clark ripping open the bus' roof to rescue them passengers. He did it in plain view of everyone, surely somebody would have seen it.

As for the fire chick, where did Clark take her and why did he just leave her alone? The Lexchick got to her and I found that pretty lame. I figured Clark would have helped the chick by turning her over to Oliver. I figured he would be able to help her more with his billions than Clark could.

20. blockaderunner

blockaderunner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In all seriousnes, I've kind of thought that the Smallville world is one of the 52. I think it would be interesting to read a comic in where the Superman of New Earth visit Clark of Smallville Earth. They'll most likely laugh at each other. Clark laughing at Supes because of the outfit and Supes laughing at Clark for still not knowing how to fly.