Vulcans

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Captain Picard., Jun 2, 2013.

1. Captain Picard.

Captain Picard. Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Dont you think the vulcan culture is similar to traditional asian cultures, like knowledge is important and they are bought up to be well behaved also some so called tiger parents send their children into the wilderness. And their facial features as well. Is this on purpose that they have been created to ressemble a race... I could think of other species like klingons or ferengi... and the bajorans. I hope I did not offend anyone.

2. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
  3. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

We occasional see Vulcans walking around in kimono-like robes, does that count?

:)

4. LobsterAfternoon

LobsterAfternoon Commander Red Shirt

The traits you described could be applied to almost any culture. But to answer your question, no, I never got a particularly Asian vibe from Vulcans. If anything, the fact that Nimoy played Spock and the fact that he used some Jewish cultural stuff in his portrayal, coupled with the fact that a lot of Vulcans were made-up to look like him gave me a slightly Jewish vibe.

5. Vulcan Logician

Vulcan Logician Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I suppose there are similarities (jet black hair and the practice of meditation for example) but nothing about Vulcans is distinctly Asian. Just like Cardassian ships have an ancient Egyptian feel to them, I believe that Trek writers/designers took human cultural traits from many cultures and imposed them on the Vulcans. Just like they do with every alien species.