Watchmen Trailer Online

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by shivkala, Jul 17, 2008.

1. mr.peany

mr.peany Commodore Commodore

I've never heard of Watchmen before, but that trailer has peaked my interest. Im assuming this is based on novels / comics yes?

2. S. Gomez

S. Gomez Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Okay, based on both From Hell and V For Vendetta (which are both pretty good movies, but lousy adaptations) I had my misgivings about this one. But hearing some of the things I've heard about the movie (particularly regarding "Tales of The Black Freighter") along with this trailer have made me more cautiously pessimistic. :)

ETA: I just realized how appropriate that last emoticon is...

3. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I think I just had a nerd-gasm...

4. God Magnus

God Magnus Commodore Commodore

A world where criminals operate above the law...
    Wow...while it will be hard to say how the story was adapted until we see the movie, it sure LOOKS awful purty! :techman:

5. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

am i the only one who doesn't like Watchmen and doesn't give a flying fuck about this movie?

not trying to pick a fight, just asking...

6. Bad Bishop

Bad Bishop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Don't lie. If you were that indifferent, you would not have posted here. :p

7. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Watchmen trailer is available in Quicktime now.

Was Carla Gugino in the trailer? I thought she was supposed to have a significant role.

8. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

no, i posted here to ask the question. tell you, i'll start a new thread...

9. JonathonWally

JonathonWally Admiral Admiral

Yes, it's the alternate version of "The End is the Beginning is the End" which was in the movie. both versions were on the soundtrack.

10. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Ozzy still looks about 16, but if that is the worst of it. . . I suppose I can deal.

11. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

"Watchmen" was my first graphic-novel, and basically turned me on to the whole "Flawed" superhero concept-- and is the pinnacle of the idea, imo. The trailer looks AMAZING and sort of cool some of my concerns about them being able to capture the look and feel of the world in the novel. My concern now is the acting.

12. Well visually it looks pretty cool. I don't think there was any question it was going to match the look of the comic, since that seems to be Snyder's thing, matching comic panels exactly.

However, the downside to that is that the movie looks clumsily staged, just as 300 did. For instance, a straight on shot works well in comics but looks uncreative and lazy on film, especially when you've seen really dynamic directors do interesting things. Like the shot of Manhattan being locked in the chamber and being zapped. Someone not matching panels exactly could have a sweeping shot off him banging on the window, pull back through the window while he bangs for dear life, then gets swallowed by it. But by matching the panels exactly, it's sort of, this one static camera shot of him standing there looking concerned. I feel similarly about "Sin City". I think being faithful to the CONTENT is more important than being faithful to CAMERA ANGLES AND PANEL LAYOUTS ETC.

I dig the music though. however, the costumes look CORNY. Even Rorschach's voice sounds sort of corny. I'm not sure that could be helped however.

13. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

Some of Moore's past comments can be found in the Wikipedia entry.

Watchmen is the only graphic novel to have ever won a Hugo Award.

14. TheArsenal

TheArsenal Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Encouraging. Visually, at least, it looks good.

15. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

It's encouraging, but I'm still doubtful. I thought 300 looked good but was incredibly stupid. But that could have been the source material.

We'll see. I'm sure I'm going...but I'm not sold.

16. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Unintentional irony. Gotta love it. :lol:

17. Bad Bishop

Bad Bishop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wow, it's almost as though you've seen the whole film, as opposed to a trailer with incomplete scenes.

I hope director Snyder will read this thread and take notes. He obviously doesn't know what he's doing. ;)

18. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

19. USS Mariner

USS Mariner Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ozymandias, Silk Spectre and especially Nite Owl all look like tasteless Hollywood ripoffs instead of their comic counterparts. Snyder seems more keen on using his past experience instead of using the fucking book, and it really shows.

Gimme a break. Dave Gibbons and Alan Moore gave us some of the best hero costumes, both design-wise and also with great amounts of respect to the legacy of heroes before them. Synder adding his special "touch" to it looks as if he just unzipped his fly and took a great piss on them.

Thankfully, he left Dr. Manhattan and Rorschach alone. He at least had enough sense to do that.

Hopefully the movie itself will be better.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2008
  20. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

The costumes were handled by, I believe, John Cassaday, a renowned comics artist; some looks translate to the screen better than others (in Laurie's case, I think her look was pretty weak; I'm not sold on Ozymandias, which seems like a real motif shift, but whatever).