Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Trekker4747, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

It's not able making the best show possible, but about making a certain number of episodes so the studio can make a ton of money by selling the show into rerun syndication! The magic number seems to be 100 episodes these days.

Cable networks don't have the cash for such long seasons so that is why their seasons tend to be shorter, but the trade off is that the show tends to be better written with less episodes.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The little red squiggly line said I was doing it wrong.

And that "word" which I used, is what the red squiggly line insisted was the correct spelling for the word I meant to say.

The front yard off from the Golgotha where Christ was murdered?

That works too.

3. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

I think the "22 episodes is too much!" theory is garbage. Do shows need 22 episodes? Of course not, but there's also no reason 22 episodes can't be fun and used well.

4. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Maybe she doesn't like being called "Cavalry" because she's tired of being ridden?

5. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Titus Welliver, who played Agent Blake in "Item 47", will appear in episode 6, "FZZT".

[SIZE=3]
    "FZZT" - When floating bodies turn up, Coulson and the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D must hunt down an elusive killer. No one is safe--not even the team--on "Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." on the ABC Television Network.

"Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." stars Clark Gregg as Agent Phil Coulson, Ming-Na Wen as Agent Melinda May, Brett Dalton as Agent Grant Ward, Chloe Bennet as Skye, Iain De Caestecker as Agent Leo Fitz and Elizabeth Henstridge as Agent Jemma Simmons.

Guest starring are Titus Welliver as Agent Blake, Vincent Laresca as Tony Diaz, Robert Maffia as Baker, David Michael Paul as Justin, Rick Gifford as Adam Cross, Thomas Robie as scout #1, Trevor Larcom as scout #2, Caleb Burgess as scout #3, Jake Brennan as scout #4 and Troy Glass as scout #5.

"FZZT" was written by Paul Zbyszewski and directed by Vincent Misiano.
    [/SIZE]
    Will we see his assistant Claire?

6. Magellan

Magellan Commander Red Shirt

I think the third episode was a big improvement. At least we had some sort of villain this time. I'm still holding out hope that this will some day be a great show. I really like Fitz and Simmons, and of course Coulson. Ward didn't seem as stupid, and one dimensional this episode. Skye was almost not terrible(and looks fantastic in a wet red dress). Cavalry got a couple lines, so yay? Actually I think she's the character I'd like to see go the most, probably because she's done nothing so far except look grumpy.

I think the only real issue the show has is too much action. It's like non-stop. There is hardly any chance to really feel the drama before something gets punched or shot or exploded. I believe someone else in this thread said the same thing, but the tone of this show just feels very 80's. I don't want a mopey show just up the drama a tad.

7. Icemizer

Icemizer Commodore Commodore

Very 80's you say? Coulson loves it when a plan comes together.

8. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's funny how different people perceive the same thing because "not-stop action" is not at all how I would characterize this show.

9. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Guessing that "floating bodies" doesn't refer to "floating in the local lake/river/oceanfront waters", given this show's premise.

10. Guy Gardener

What about Not-Stop Motion?

11. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think the problem is so much "non-stop action", as it is a desire to move through the story as fast as possible. There's almost never any time to slow down and have a serious or thoughtful moment, which is something I think the show really needs more of.

Even when the show does try to slow down (to, say, delve into the backgrounds of Skye and Ward), it has to be through some kind of training sequence. Or the scene is so packed full of cute quips that it's hard to really take seriously.

12. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

When gunfights result in bad guys dusting themselves off after exiting flipped-over vehicles, I am officially outta here.

13. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I'm out when they go to help the cute single-mother from the evil biker gang of ex-husbands.

14. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

The opening skirmishes of episode 2 came close, for all the bullets flying I think there was only one body seen peripherally shot.

15. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Two quick questions:

Which "DRTC" do you suppose Quinn was talking about in his promotional speech re: Gravitonium?

How to rationalize atomic # 123 for Gravitonium?

16. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

And they take a kid's piggy bank as their only form of payment!

And Ward says he ain't gettin' on no plane flown by no damn crazy woman!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  17. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

He was honoring Hall's wish to keep the discovery of the gravitonium secret. If it were launched into space, there'd be an official record of its existence. SHIELD would know it was out there to be found, somewhere on Earth. (After all, Quinn surely didn't mine the only quantity of it anywhere on the planet. If there was one deposit, there must be more.) And Coulson knew Hall wasn't entirely wrong in his fears that SHIELD would exploit that power for weapons -- as they did with the "Phase 2" weapons based on Tesseract/HYDRA tech before.

18. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

LOL, my wife watched the second episode with me. She told me that she was glad that Coulson was alive and hopes to see him in the movies because she won't be watching the series with me.

19. Guy Gardener

So what the two of you are saying is that if someone else who is not the two of you wants to make a constant 60 minute block in the week to have a steamy extramarital affair, all they have to do is show the wife Marvel Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and that they are sorted with 60 minutes of complete abandoned freedom to play around inside of?

Really?

really?

Because that's not cool.

20. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

You've obviously never heard of a little franchise called NCIS. :rommie: