Star Trek: Starships Model/Magazine Subscription

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by trekker670, May 21, 2013.

1. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

What?

Well mine has it!

2. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

3. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's odd every unboxing I have seen, or images from new owners shows some aztecing.

Where did you get yours from? I wonder if a batch is different then others.

4. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As of Wednesday I got my third and fourth issue, and it looks like DS9 is at the Post Office waiting pickup.

I was very impressed with the Bird of Prey (already have many a version of this ship), but I was pleasantly surprised in the quality of this one.

The NX-01 is a beautiful design, but unfortunately its the first shipment I have had which was damaged as both nacelles had fallen off. Something i have heard complaints about with a few of the releases.

I am torn between requesting a new one or just glueing it together, any thoughts from the board?

5. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Indeed:

[​IMG]

6. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

You are correct. Oddy, now that I've checked again, I can see the aztecing under full daylight but not under fluorescent light or low light. I expect it's my age.

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Commander Red Shirt

Did the nacelles physically break off, or did they simply fall off at the joint between the nacelle and the pylon? I had one nacelle on my NX-01 fall off when I opened the box, likely because it wasn't glued properly to begin with. A dab of superglue made it good as new. If this is true with your ship, I'd just glue them back on. If they actually snapped off, though, I'd get a new ship from Eaglemoss.

8. Yanks

Yanks Commodore Commodore

I received my DS9 today.

The center under-portion was crooked and when I tried to straighten it, it broke.

I'll be sending it back for a replacement.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, the station seems to be missing the armorment installed and then displayed in Way of the Warrior.

9. mtblillie

mtblillie Captain Captain

If I remember correct the extra armament was hidden in parts of the station.

10. Yanks

Yes, but you should still be able to see the outline I think.

[​IMG]

11. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

^^^ I believe those weapon arrays are located on the three tiny curved splines that are on the outside of the inner ring.

12. mythme

mythme Commodore Commodore

The arrays wouldn't be there if the model represents DS9 prior to the 3rd Season. Sisko asked them to be installed after the Odyssey was destroyed by the Dominion.

13. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

Got mine this week. Lovely! DS9 is great. Though the inward bowing of the lower pylons bugs me. It was visible in all the early pics, and I hoped they'd find a fix, but I guess it was a need of the stability. I know DS9 isn't physically the most resilient. The playmates one made back in the day has a stand you rest it upon from the central core, as the lower pylons can't hold it's weight either. And though it's been a while I think the models over the years also had similar issues. Like how most models of the Enterprise-A suffered from nacelle pylon issues.

Either way, it's great to have another physical instance of DS9. Only had the micro-machine, the Furuta (they did make such, didn't they?), and the Playmates until now.

My cat also enjoyed this issue due to the larger size box it all came in :P

[​IMG]

14. Yanks

I understand that. Just thought they'd be there.

I just received an email back from Eaglemoss about my broken DS9.

They've already scheduled another one to be shipped to me. (and I don't have to ship the other one back)

My experience has been great with these guys.

15. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

For any Canadian fans that may still be interested in this, 8of5's Trek Collective site is reporting that one of his contacts indicated that Eaglemoss told the contact that the collection will be launching in Canada in February. Link

I'm hoping this is true... but it seems to be cutting it awfully fine considering there has been no announcement yet, and they haven't started taking Canadian subscriptions yet either.

16. Kevman7987

Kevman7987 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

To the UK(ers?) that already have the "next month and a half's" ships, how does the package the Borg Sphere come in compare to the other packaging? Is it the same size of what we're used to, or is it an awkward size like DS9's?

17. Kinggodzillak

Kinggodzillak Captain Captain

It's a bit smaller than usual.

18. mythme

mythme Commodore Commodore

speaking of boxes - I had display space set aside for the ships. I forgot to anticipate where to store all these dang boxes

19. Johnny Rico

Johnny Rico Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Got my K'Tinga, Excelsior and DS9 today. The bottom array on DS9 was a bit crooked with the base of the station, but not enough to worry about. The top Command structure was too, but again, just barely...you have to eyeball the gap between it and the station, and it's probably not a half degree off, but you can just tell, that it's not level.

The K'Tinga is a nice model, however the neck was a bit more flimsy than I thought it'd be. That and the front Command section is the plastic resin part. Even the rear of the ship doesn't feel all that metallic. The paint job is a metal flake battleship grey. I wished it had the maroonish wing highlights like Kronus One did, but if they were just going for the TMP look, I can understand why they left it all grey. Actually the paint detailing job up front is a bit lacking. No window detail in the curved front rim or the command tower.

The Excelsior has a really nice paint job for the size it is. Even has aztecing even while the saucer is actually smaller than the Ent-Refit. The whole model itself is rather small. The problem being the length of the nacelles which dictated the size of the model to stay within the max length. The thing is that the nacelles hang out the back of the stand, while the saucer is a bit short on the front side, so I'm thinking that they could have enlarged the model a bit if they moved the mounting position a bit forward.

20. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

In the packaging:
    [​IMG]
    Opened:
    [​IMG]

Aside from The E-D and NX, I'm mostly interested in less common ships. Of those coming up, I want the Romulan Warbird and the Akira Class!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014