Trek guest actors in maybe surprising roles

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Maurice, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

Why, he's in North Fork, of course. ;)

2. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Meanwhile on AMC, it looks like Kathie Browne is making Gil Favor, trail boss, want to do a scene where he has to pull his boots back on....

3. ToddPence

ToddPence Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The spiral staircase from "The Empath" . . .

[​IMG]

. . . makes a special guest appearance on THE FUGITIVE.

[​IMG]

4. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^Except they are pretty clearly different stairs.

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  5. ToddPence

They look different because they are facing in different directions in the two scenes.

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

No, they're very different. The "Empath" stairway has smaller, more rounded arches with a lot more height between the top of the arch and the tread of the stair above it. Also, it doesn't have a railing. And the rings around the central post are thicker. And the height of the steps appears to be greater, though it's hard to be sure. They don't resemble each other at all, beyond being the same general type of staircase.

Also, I'm not sure, but I think the "Empath" spiral staircase may be made of wood instead of metal. Not sure this TrekCore link will work, but here's a much closer look:

http://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/3x12hd/theempathhd0019.jpg

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  7. J.T.B.

It's a helix, it can't face a different direction. A "clockwise up" stair would have tread segments the exact opposite of one that went the other way. And the arch under the treads and the outboard face of the segments are completely different.

That would really surprise me. It would be a lot of effort and expense to fabricate something in wood that had been very economically mass produced in iron since Victorian times.

8. Christopher

What effort and expense? Most Hollywood set pieces are made of wood, even when they look like metal or stone or whatever. Wood is comparatively cheap and easy to work with. And since this was meant to be a futuristic set piece rather than a Victorian one, it wouldn't surprise me if they built it specially.

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  9. J.T.B.

The expense of a craftsman cutting, fitting, joining and so on for many pieces of wood, when you can go out and buy the same thing in mass produced, pre-fab metal.

10. Christopher

Maybe. But like I said, set builders cut, fit, and join large amounts of wood on a regular basis. They build entire rooms in a couple of days and then tear them down a few days later so they can build new ones in their place. So doing a lot of work with wood is not exactly something they'd have a problem doing. And it's not like a tight spiral staircase requires a great deal of material. If the available prefab staircases didn't seem right for a 23rd-century Starfleet installation, it wouldn't have been that hard to slap one together. I could be wrong, sure, but I don't think it can be ruled out as a possibility.

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  11. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

George Takei was the voice of Lord Hakerra in the Freelancer (2003) video game.

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  12. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

The stairways go in different directions - one is clockwise, the other counter-colckwise. Unless the film is flopped. One is beefier than the other with different shaped fillets. They're clearly different. But it was a cute thought.

13. ToddPence

I guess you're right, I could have sworn they were the same. Well, I can't find a listing for the spiral staircase on IMDB, so I can't confirm it one way or the other.

14. Christopher

Are we getting into props now? Should I mention the Saurian brandy decanter in that Mission: Impossible episode? And there's a statue in another M:I episode that I'd swear is the same one the TNG art department modified into Worf's statue of Kahless and Molor.

15. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Can we NOT get into props? How about a new topic for that?

16. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    I'm watching Them! now, and once I saw a very young Leonard Nimoy in a bit part as an army private (?)....I thought had to post to this particular thread.

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  17. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

More Mannix - season 5, "Catspaw", I had a feeling Vic Tayback wasn't just sitting there to be background scenery.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shaka Zulu likes this.
  18. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"Catspaw"? There should be a rule; any guest actor from a Star Trek series that appears in another series with an episode title the same as an episode from the Trek series they appeared in, the episode from the other series should have the same plot.

19. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Well, he wasn't IN Trek's Catspaw, so...

20. Christopher

And how does a present-day detective show like Mannix use the same plot as an outer-space SF story about illusion-casting aliens from another galaxy?